Thread: Hexus Mastermind Thread #6 - Knoxville - Heavy Metal!

Thanks

Hexus Mastermind Thread #6 - Knoxville - Heavy Metal!

HEXUS MASTERMIND #6 - Knoxville

Commencement Time: 17:00 7th August
    Chosen subject areas:

Primary - Classic Land Rovers
    Secondary - Metallica

Now accepting questions for Knoxville on the above subjects. Questions are to be submitted to Galant via PM, please (don't post them here). Once the questions are gathered and commencement date arranged they will be posted in this thread for answering by the contestant. We're looking for 15 questions on the primary subject and 5 questions on the secondary subject. 3 'Personal angle' questions permitted on Primary, 1 'Personal Angle' question permitted on the secondary.

See the Sign Up Thread for full details.

Knoxville, I'll be PMing you to arrange a time to begin the contest. Once the questions are posted here you will have 24 hours to answer them all below. All questions are to be answered from your own head only without reference to any outside sources. These Mastermind challenges are running on the honour system so please don't cheat!

Anyone wishing to sign-up to be a contestant in future editions, please sign-up in the thread in the Sticky section.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Galant; 07-08-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Re: Hexus Mastermind Thread #6 - Knoxville - Heavy Metal!

Knox's questions will be up at any point now. Just waiting for confirmation of a posting time/date.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Sorry about that bud, didn't realise my inbox was full

Thanks

HEXUS MASTERMIND #6 - Knoxville - Heavy Metal!

Commencement Time: 22:45 7th August.

Chosen subject areas:

Primary: Classic Land Rovers
    Secondary: Metallica

Knoxville, you now have 24 hours to answer all questions below. All questions are to be answered from your own head only without reference to any outside sources. These Mastermind challenges are running on the honour system so please don't cheat!

Anyone wishing to sign-up to be a contestant in future editions, please sign-up in the thread in the Sticky section.

QUESTIONS

Q1. Name the half-Series III, half-tank hybrid, which appeared in the late 70's as prototypes but never garnered a production contract.

Q2. What's the nickname of the series IIA model which, due to a modification, shares that nickname with a certain fictional cat?

Q3. Which well-known UK organisation bought its first Landrovers in 1948 in London in part because they could carry more kit than their traditional motorcycle combo?

Q4. Name the 1949 model that came with leather seating for seven, a heater, a one-piece laminated windscreen, some interior trim, other options and an aluminium skin?

Q5. In 1954, for a birthday present, Rover gave someone a Landrover with heated footwell, an extra-wide passenger seat and a wooden box believed to be for his bricklaying tools - who was the famous recepient, what model was the vehicle and what was the registration number?

Q6. Please name the exact model:

Q7. Prior to the new Land Rover reaching dealerships in 1956 two Land Rover Series I Stations Wagons, with enhanced aluminium strcutures replacing the wooden frame, made a 1955 long-distance adventure which was broadcast by the BBC. What was the trip they made and who was undertaking the challenging journey?

Q8. Name the model of Land Rover and the 'setup' which was approved by Rover and could be marketed from 1961:

Q9. Dark blue body with a yellow roof. Name the model of Land Rover, the organisation which used the distinctive colour combination for its fleet of vehicles, and the purpose for which those Land Rovers were used.

Q10. The Land Rover was thought up by which Rover designer, what previous vehicle was a big part of his inspiration and for main purpose did he evision the Land Rover?

Q11. 1.6 Litre engine, 4 cylinders, 50 HP, and a 2-speed transfer gearbox from a Jeep - name the Land Rover from 1947 which would have a fully Rover design a year later.

Q12. Of the Series I, II and III Land Rovers all had selectable 2/4 wheel-drive except one. Which version featured permanent 4WD?

Q13. Series I (4 of 6 needed):
    Was launched in what year and at which motor show?
    It used a gear-box featuring how many speeds and taken from what other Rover vehicle?
    What was unusual about the 4WD system?
    Name one of the big changes that came with the 1954 model?
    Keeping the interior cool in hot weather and reducing condensation in cold weather, what was changed on the Series I and to which version?
    In 1957 what was introduced for models with a petrol engine?

Q14. Series II (4 of 6 needed):
    Saw its production run between what years?
    It came in which two wheelbases?
    Was the first Land Rover to get some attention from which department of Rover and this 'attention' resulted in what three features now familiar on Land Rovers?
    Was the first to use what capacity of engine which generated how many horses?
    What option was introduced for the Series II which was designed to take advantage of UK tax laws resulting in an exemption from Purchase Tax and Special Vehicle Tax?
    Name the most significant under the bonnet enhancement from the Series II to the Series IIA for either the petrol or diesel engined versions.

Q 15. Series III (4 of 6 needed):
    The most common Series vehicle, how many were built in its run from 1971 to 1985 (answer to within an error margin of 5000)?
    What, for the first time, was replaced on the Series III using plastic instead of metal?
    What change to the standard engine produced a slight increase in power?
    The 1,000,000th Land Rover was a Series III. It rolled off the production line in what year?
    Name two improvements made on later Series III models to increase strength/durability?
    In April 1983 a new spec was introduced, name it, please, along with three features it brought.

Q 16. Who taught Kirk Hammond guitar?

Q 17 Name the instrumental that has been Metallica's intro music for a long time?, who wrote it and what movie is it from?

Q 18. What was the original name of the song "The Four Horsemen" , what other band used the song with altered lyrics and released it on their own album, name the album?

Q 19. Name the original album title of Kill 'Em All ?

Q 20 What 2 Metallica songs have the line "off to never never land"?
    Last edited by Galant; 07-08-2014 at 09:46 PM.

5. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (12-08-2014)

Thanks

Knox - your messages are full again.
    Questions are ready to go when you are!

G.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

My apologies mate, it's tough being popular

Conisder my inbox roomier and waiting, I'll be around a bit for the next couple of days

Thanks

Knox, just in case your messages are full again - let me know what time I can post.

Thanks

Questions to be posted 17:00 GMT 7th August.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Present and correct sir

Thanks

Would be good if I was, eh?

Still around? Tell me and I'll post!

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Yep still aboard mate

Thanks

Questions are posted! You're up!

Please no-one else post until Knox is done and the score counted.

Cheers!

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

1. The Centaur
    2. Pink Panther
    3. I have absolutely no idea, I'm going to say Royal Mail just for the sake of it.
    4. I'm fairly sure that's the 80" Station Wagon
    5. Churchill?
    6. Series IIA 109" Utility
    7. Forest Rover
    8. London to Singapore but I couldn't tell you who was at the wheel.
    9. Royal Navy? Theirs were used in mostly command and military police rolse if memory serves.
    10. Maurice Wilks, with the Wilys/Ford Jeeps as inspiration and a mind to agriculture.
    11. Sounds like a centre steer prototype but I might be way off the mark.
    12. There are two exceptions as the Belgians had some made that were permanent front wheel drive but the model in question is the Series 3 Stage One V8 I think.
    13. It was launched in 1948 at the Amsterdam Motor Show.
    It had the running gear from a Rover P3.
    The four wheel drive system was permanent on early models.
    The major change in '54 was to the wheelbase which increased to 86".
    The tropical "safari" roof that was added to the station wagon.

14. 1958-61
    88" & 109"
    Styling. The Series II was the first Land Rover to have barrel sides, a curved roof and rounded side windows.
    The same 2.25l engine that's in my truck and it has 75hp.
    You could spec a 109" station wagon with 10 seats instead of twelve, dodging a tax in the process.
    Five bearing cranks I think.

The dash and the front grille.
    Different carbs?
    They changed the number of splines on the halfshafts to make them more durable later in the Series III's life but I can't come up with a second change.
    1983 was the county station wagon which came carpeted, with cloth seats, special exterior decals and a heated rear screen.

16. Joe Satriani
    17. Ecstacy of Gold by Ennio Moriccone from The Good The Bad and The Ugly
    18. Mechanix, Megadeth and they released it on their first album - Killing is my business.
    19. Metal Up Your Ass
    20. Enter sandman and I have absolutely no idea!

Phew! That was tought mate, well put together and well worth the wait!! I just hope I haven't embarassed myself!

15. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (12-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville View Post
    1. The Centaur. Correct.
    2. Pink Panther Correct.
    3. I have absolutely no idea, I'm going to say Royal Mail just for the sake of it. Incorrect. The Automobile Association (AA).
    4. I'm fairly sure that's the 80" Station Wagon. Correct 1949 Tickford Station Wagon.
    5. Churchill? Yes but incorrect overall due to missing info. It was Churchill, for his 80th, the model was a Series I, and the license plate UKE 80 (United Kingdom Empire).
    6. Series IIA 109" Utility. Correct!
    7. Forest Rover. It's the 'Forest Rover' set up but you're missing the series - II. Incorrect.
    8. London to Singapore but I couldn't tell you who was at the wheel. You're right about the route, the travellers were 6 Oxford and Cambridge students. Incorrect.
    9. Royal Navy? Theirs were used in mostly command and military police rolse if memory serves. Incorrect. HM Coast Guard Marine Rescue!
    10. Maurice Wilks, with the Wilys/Ford Jeeps as inspiration and a mind to agriculture. Perfect!
    11. Sounds like a centre steer prototype but I might be way off the mark. Right on the mark! - Centre Steer is correct.
    12. There are two exceptions as the Belgians had some made that were permanent front wheel drive but the model in question is the Series 3 Stage One V8 I think. Yup. Well done. Correct.
    13. It was launched in 1948 at the Amsterdam Motor Show. Correct. 1/6.
    It had the running gear from a Rover P3. P3 yes, but you missed that it had 4 speeds. 1/6
    The four wheel drive system was permanent on early models. ...Sort of, not quite. It was a semi-permanent 4WD system. A 'ring-pull' mechanism could be used to lock the free-wheel unit to provide more traditional 4WD. Incorrect. 1/6
    The major change in '54 was to the wheelbase which increased to 86". Correct. Also a 107-inch 'Pick-up' version was introduced. 2/6
    The tropical "safari" roof that was added to the station wagon. Correct. 3/6
    In 1957 petrol versions saw the 'Spread Bore' engine introduced. 3/6 Incorrect overall.

14. 1958-61 Correct. 1/6
    88" & 109" Correct. 2/6
    Styling. The Series II was the first Land Rover to have barrel sides, a curved roof and rounded side windows. Perfect. 3/6
    The same 2.25l engine that's in my truck and it has 75hp. Correct! 4/6
    You could spec a 109" station wagon with 10 seats instead of twelve, dodging a tax in the process. Oooof, it sounds like you've written it the wrong way round but we'll go with benefit of the doubt here since you've got the right modification. The 10 seater was standard but could be specced with 12 seats which would mean it had to be classed as a bus and as such would dodge some taxes. Correct. 5/6
    Five bearing cranks I think. Nope. Lots of minor changes but the most significant was re-designing the diesel engine along the lines of the petrol engine to lift it from 2.0L to 2.25L (2286cc). 5/6
    Overall - Correct.

440,000 Bang on. Correct. 1/6
    The dash and the front grille. Correct. 2/6
    Different carbs? Incorrect. An optional high-compression engine from the IIA was made permanent, lifting the compression from 7:1 to 8:1. 2/6
    1976 Correct. 3/6
    They changed the number of splines on the halfshafts to make them more durable later in the Series III's life but I can't come up with a second change. 5 Main Bearing crankshafts added (as you mentioned above), transmission, axles and wheel hubs were all strengthened/reinforced. 3/6
    1983 was the county station wagon which came carpeted, with cloth seats, special exterior decals and a heated rear screen. Correct! 4/6
    Overall correct.

16. Joe Satriani. Correct.
    17. Ecstacy of Gold by Ennio Moriccone from The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Correct.
    18. Mechanix, Megadeth and they released it on their first album - Killing is my business. Correct.
    19. Metal Up Your Ass Correct.
    20. Enter sandman and I have absolutely no idea! King Nothing. Incorrect. Half way there though!

Phew! That was tought mate, well put together and well worth the wait!! I just hope I haven't embarassed myself!
    13/20 - Well done! A few details missing cost you some points, but you were pretty much on target with most of these. Well done!

Thanks

Thanks to j1979 and Macadee for their contributions!

Thread Information