Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hands up if you're FED UP with being told SUGAR IS THE DEVIL !!

Thanks
    • csgohan4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
      • CPU:
      • I7 4770K with Noctua-D15
      • Memory:
      • G SKILL 2400Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB| Seagate 1TB + 1.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860
      • Case:
      • HAF X with NF-S12B FLX, TY-140, X4 Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm and Demciflex Dust Flters
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24inch LCD W2468L
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre Unlimited with Asus DSL N66U

Re: Hands up if you're FED UP with being told SUGAR IS THE DEVIL !!

A moment on the lips, lifetime on the hips,

TBH i stopped eating KFC, Burger king e.t.c because one day i was queing up for my special bargain Bucket, took a look round at the people sitting down and 90% were morbidly obese, felt ill after eating the KFC after wards too.

There are several shows in the UK as well which are done by 'nutritionist's' who show a person's whole week's of food on a table for them to see and that made me wake up as well.

Veggie diet at home and a treat once in a while outside in a restaurant not fast food.
    Trust Profile HEXUS Forum FAQ and Colour coding/Post Count awards

'The Fox is cunning and relentless, and has got his Fibre Optic Broadband'

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    mixed with meat and vegetables...?

I get a meal fullfilling what my body needs
    Mixed -works- because the meat and veg supplies what you need despite the added junk. Getting rid of he sugar/starch works better. Especially after a few months when your body gets used to running on fats..

Thanks

Perhaps the issue is a lot of people don't know how to balance and moderate. Just look at the obesity statistics. Perhaps those saying that X or Y (which is typically found in calorie dense food) is bad are hoping that those who consume in excess would cut more drastically, which is needed in some of those case? *Shrug*
    Like I said in another thread, while I don't think that cooking *needs* to be taught at school, but a course in nutrition may do some good.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I'm in the "all things in moderation" camp. I don't each much refined sugar, directly. Just occassionally on certain cereals, and that's typically maybe once a month. But I DO like my cereal for breakfast. Sometimes, with about a teaspoon on honey, but mostly, with either fresh or dried fruit.

And while I'm on about cereal, kerp one eye on salt levels. It's not just sugar that can be very bad for you. So, some cereals are MUCH higher in salt than others.

As for fizzy drinks, I'll have a glass of coke from time to time, but it's rare. By far the thing I drink most is water. And two or three cups of coffee, per day.

Where I do use, and consequently eat, sugar is when I bake cakes and/or biscuits. Ir bread, but generally it's a tiny amount in that. I don't bake cakes or biscuits all that often.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csgohan4 View Post

TBH i stopped eating KFC, Burger king e.t.c because one day i was queing up for my special bargain Bucket, took a look round at the people sitting down and 90% were morbidly obese, felt ill after eating the KFC after wards too.

TBH, with either burger on chicken, it's far better to either buy high quality burgers, or (better yet) make your own. And ditto fried chicken, though you won't get quite the KFC spice blend. But so what, you can still do "southern fried" and tweak it to taste.

In most things, quality ingredients = quality results, given what can be surprisingly modest time and effort.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

But what is moderation? To a Chinese person your diet would probably seem very odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I'm in the "all things in moderation" camp. I don't each much refined sugar, directly. Just occassionally on certain cereals, and that's typically maybe once a month. But I DO like my cereal for breakfast. Sometimes, with about a teaspoon on honey, but mostly, with either fresh or dried fruit.

And while I'm on about cereal, kerp one eye on salt levels. It's not just sugar that can be very bad for you. So, some cereals are MUCH higher in salt than others.

As for fizzy drinks, I'll have a glass of coke from time to time, but it's rare. By far the thing I drink most is water. And two or three cups of coffee, per day.

Where I do use, and consequently eat, sugar is when I bake cakes and/or biscuits. Ir bread, but generally it's a tiny amount in that. I don't bake cakes or biscuits all that often.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Why do you eat rice and grains? What nutritional benefit do you get?
    Energy, fibre, proteins, iron, vitamin b6, magnesium, potassium and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

But what is moderation?
    Moderation is not eating twice, or three times as much as the RDA of any one nutrient type, but rather try to satisfy them all around their respective RDA values.

To a Chinese person your diet would probably seem very odd.
    I'm not sure what that kind of cultural difference has to do with anything.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

As said before, and probably will be said again - I kinda believe it's all about moderation.

I love coke, to the point where I can't actually drink plain water as it tastes awful (addicted is perhaps a more appropriate word)
    I easily go through about two cans a day, but then again I don't have any sweets, cakes, breads (unless it's the occasional burger) or chocolates (and usually my tea/coffee is made with just a splash of milk and no sugar.

I've convinced myself I probably need the coke to survive as it's probably the only sugar I do intake (I'm having trouble convincing others though)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Carbs became normal because it's a more efficient way if growing calories. Agricultural revolution - we can't support this many people with fats and meat.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

I think you need to know the individual to understand their tolerance levels of certain nutritions.

You may have one person who eats burgers all day, drinks coke, smokes and is still somehow healthy, thin and fit. Whilst on the other hand another person practising a healthy lifestyle to get the life kick out of them if they even look at chocolate

It is also physiological as well, the mind is a powerful tool and somewhat determines what foods we are "OK" with and what foods we "aren't OK" with.

Again this comes down to the person's metabolic rate (metabolism).
    Another is inheritance - you may inherit a gene that tells your body "right, we like storing fat, so any fat we get we store" whilst someone else's genes may simply say "we will try and burn fat at the chance we get" - metabolism.

Which comes to the conclusion it completely depends on the person. Know your own limits but be sensible about it. The more you try and follow "guidelines" the more robotic you become. Know your own body (I'm not saying eat burgers all your life but you get what I mean, if you're better with certain types of foods than others, eat it).

Moderation is key. You can still have a treat once in a while your body can deal with it. If people stop starving themselves and eating very little to try and fit into the "healthy" lifestyle they'll soon find out that essentially your body is putting itself into "starving" mode and storing everything, which makes sugar and fat look really bad because as soon as you eat it you get a rush which your body cannot handle.

So fat and sugar now and again is needed for a healthy lifestyle, your body needs to know what it is and how to handle it from time to time so you don't overload yourself when you do have it.

Besides, I say to simply enjoy life and tasty food!!!!
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

12. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (16-07-2014)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post
    I think you need to know the individual to understand their tolerance levels of certain nutritions.

You may have one person who eats burgers all day, drinks coke, smokes and is still somehow healthy, thin and fit. Whilst on the other hand another person practising a healthy lifestyle to get the life kick out of them if they even look at chocolate

It is also physiological as well, the mind is a powerful tool and somewhat determines what foods we are "OK" with and what foods we "aren't OK" with.

Again this comes down to the person's metabolic rate (metabolism).
    Another is inheritance - you may inherit a gene that tells your body "right, we like storing fat, so any fat we get we store" whilst someone else's genes may simply say "we will try and burn fat at the chance we get" - metabolism.

Which comes to the conclusion it completely depends on the person. Know your own limits but be sensible about it. The more you try and follow "guidelines" the more robotic you become. Know your own body (I'm not saying eat burgers all your life but you get what I mean, if you're better with certain types of foods than others, eat it).

Moderation is key. You can still have a treat once in a while your body can deal with it. If people stop starving themselves and eating very little to try and fit into the "healthy" lifestyle they'll soon find out that essentially your body is putting itself into "starving" mode and storing everything, which makes sugar and fat look really bad because as soon as you eat it you get a rush which your body cannot handle.

So fat and sugar now and again is needed for a healthy lifestyle, your body needs to know what it is and how to handle it from time to time so you don't overload yourself when you do have it.

Besides, I say to simply enjoy life and tasty food!!!!
    Also I would add lifestyle too,ie,things like stress and lack of sleep also can affect your metabolism too.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    and now that's bonkers too.....

so no carbs....?

no spuds, no pasta.. no bread.. no rice....

why is that good?

veg and fruit have carbs throughout them.. natural sugars.. so surely to goodness you'll get carbs eating a normal diet and you'll use them.
    Thing is, they don't really serve much purpose, in dietary terms. There's far more nutritional goodness in vegetables than in pure starch products - spuds, flour, rice etc are more cheap fillers than anything else.

If you eat it in moderation, then yeah, you'll be fine. Ultimately though, we were never meant to eat the vast quantities of carbs that we do these days, and I think it's causing far more problems for overweight people than they realise.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    ...and I think it's causing far more problems for overweight people than they realise.
    The cause is people being far too sedentary. Western food availability is excellent, but western life being dominated by being chained to a desk for most of their waking hours, and driving/busing to/from home, and sitting in front of the telly with dinner on their lap however, isn't good at all. Even when we count calories and balance our diet so we don't turn into complete lard asses, the way we live is still desperately unhealthy. If we had a healthy level of physical activity we'd actually have to eat far more calories to maintain a healthy weight.

16. Received thanks from:

opel80uk (16-07-2014)

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    I'm not sure what that kind of cultural difference has to do with anything.
    There is a huge difference!

Many will eat 5 small meals a day, every meal is communal, there is no personal snacking.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    There is a huge difference!

Many will eat 5 small meals a day, every meal is communal, there is no personal snacking.
    Yes, but we're talking about health and nutrition. Pure physiological needs. Cultural culinary/dining differences, no matter how small or great, are not relevant in the slightest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information