Thread: Hexus Mastermind Thread - #8 -opel80uk - Trotter's Independent Traders/Emerald Isle

Thanks

Hexus Mastermind Thread - #8 -opel80uk - Trotter's Independent Traders/Emerald Isle

HEXUS MASTERMIND #8 - opel80uk

Commencement Time: Friday 22nd August 9:00AM.

Chosen subject areas:

Primary - Only Fools and Horses
    Secondry - Irish History.

Now accepting questions for opel80uk on the above subjects. Questions are to be submitted to Galant via PM, please (don't post them here). Once the questions are gathered and commencement date arranged they will be posted in this thread for answering by the contestant. We're looking for 15 questions on the primary subject and 5 questions on the secondary subject. 3 'Personal angle' questions permitted on Primary, 1 'Personal Angle' question permitted on the secondary.

See the Sign Up Thread for full details.

opel80uk, once the questions are posted here you will have 24 hours to answer them all below. All questions are to be answered from your own head only without reference to any outside sources. These Mastermind challenges are running on the honour system so please don't cheat!

Anyone wishing to sign-up to be a contestant in future editions, please sign-up in the thread in the Sticky section.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Galant; 20-08-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Re: Hexus Mastermind Thread - #8 -opel80uk - Trotter's Independent Traders/Emerald Is

Release date updated.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Re: Hexus Mastermind Thread - #8 -opel80uk - Trotter's Independent Traders/Emerald Is

HEXUS MASTERMIND #8 - opel80uk - Trotter's Independent Traders/Emerald Isle

Commencement Time: 9:00AM 22nd August.

Chosen subject areas:

Primary: Only Fools and Horses
    Secondary: Irish History

opel80uk, you now have 24 hours to answer all questions below. All questions are to be answered from your own head only without reference to any outside sources. These Mastermind challenges are running on the honour system so please don't cheat!

Anyone wishing to sign-up to be a contestant in future editions, please sign-up in the thread in the Sticky section.

QUESTIONS

1. Only Fools and Horses aired it's first and last episodes on which dates, took place over how many seasons, had how many Christmas specials and what were the names of the first and last episodes?

2. The Trotter family tree as relates to Del Boy - fill in the names, please (11/13 required):

Father
    Mother
    Grandfather
    Grandmother
    Half-brother
    Half Sister-in-law
    Half Niece
    Fiancee
    Son
    Great Uncle 1
    Great Uncle 2
    Great Uncle 3
    Great Aunt

3. What OFaH phrase was actually borrowed from a 1960's orange juice drink advert and then, being made popular in 'Only Fools and Horses', was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2003?

4. "As the French say..." - Provide translations for the following foreign lingo as meant by Del Boy! (5 needed):

A - Mange tout!
    B - Bonjour!
    C - Puscas puscas
    D - Polizia
    E - Pot Pourri!
    F - Tel aviv
    G - Creme de la menthe

5. What was the most watched episode of OFAH, what did it set a record for, and what year did it air?

6. Please name the character on the far right (no pun intended).

7. Who created OFaH and what was the working title prior to 'Only Fools and Horses'?

8. Rodney (All needed):
    Has how many GCSE's and in what subjects?
    Is known by what name to Trigger?
    Is how many years younger than Del?
    Was thrown out of Art School for what reason?
    What was Rodney's middle name and after what was he named?

9. Supporting cast (seven needed):
    What is Boycie's hobby and where was his holiday home?
    What school did Trigger go to?
    What is Trigger's real name?
    According to the OFaH's creator why did Lennard Pearce, the actor who played Grandad, win the part?
    Cassandra - finish the quote by filling in the blank: "It happens to me all the time - I meet a guy, we get on well, he [BLANK] - end of story."
    What was Uncle Albert's nickname?
    Which supporting character features in the most episodes after Del Boy and Rodney?
    How many medals had Albert won during his time in the Royal Navy and what was the common factor which lead to them being awarded to him?
    How did Rachel originally meet Del? Any names must be specific please.

10. Name the two series which spun off from OFaH - one sequel and one prequel - and the characters on which they focus.

11. "During the war".....finish the Uncle Albert quotes:

A)
    Uncle Albert: "During the war..."
    Del Boy: [interrupts Albert] "If you say during the war one more time, I'll pour this cup of tea over your head."
    Uncle Albert: ____________________________

B)
    Lennox (While holding the Trotters hostage): "I'm known as the Shadow, because I'm fast and fleeting. I come and I go, and no-one knows."
    Del Boy: "You come and go do ya? It's gonna take you fourteen bleedin' hours to come and go in here."
    Uncle Albert: ________________________________

C)
    Barrister reviewing Albert's war record: "It says here you were based in the stores on the Isle of Wight, hardly overseas, is it?"
    Uncle Albert: _________________________

12. Del Boy (All five please):
    What is Del Boy's favourite song?
    For what price did the watch sell at the auction which made Del Boy a rich man?
    How many years did his riches last and what brought an end to his dream?
    What floor is Del's flat on and what does it say on the bathroom door?
    Twice Del hints he's a football supporter, which two teams does he suggest he's a fan of?

13. The writer of OFaH had a tendency which eventually, directly, lead to a change in the show starting with season six - what was his tendency and what was the change?

14. Who is Freddie Robdal, what was his nickname and who was his accomplice?

15. Name (first and last names please!) the two local gangsters, what was the strict rule they followed, and for which famous actor (and OFaH fan) was one of the two roles written, although movie commitments prevented his playing the role?

16. Ptolemy's Geographia provides the earliest known written reference to habitation in the Dublin area. By what name is the settlement there referred to?

17. During the 3rd Century AD, The Annals of the Four Masters, Foras feasa ar Éirinn, place whom as the, long-standing, possibly legendary, High King of Ireland?

18. St. Patrick returned to Ireland in which year (according to the Annals of Ulster and other chronicles)?

19. At the beginning of the 13th Century, Henry III of England issued what charter and towards the end of the century what important first meeting took place in Dublin?

20. The large-scale famine of 1740 had what cause and resulted in how many deaths?

Thanks

Questions are up!

Please no-one else answer until opel80uk is done! Cheers.

Thanks to j1979 for his contribution!

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

1. Only Fools and Horses aired it's first and last episodes on which dates, took place over how many seasons, had how many Christmas specials and what were the names of the first and last episodes?

It ran over 7 seasons with 19 Christmas specials. First episode was Big Brother showed in September 81 (can't remember day) and last was sleepless in peckham shown on the 25/12/2003.

2. The Trotter family tree as relates to Del Boy - fill in the names, please (11/13 required):

Father – Reg Trotter
    Mother – Joan Trotter
    Grandfather - Edward/Ted Trotter
    Grandmother - Can't remember
    Half-brother – Rodney Trotter
    Half Sister-in-law - Cassandra Parry/Trotter
    Half Niece - Joan Trotter
    Fiancee - Raquel Turner
    Son - Damien Trotter
    Great Uncle 1 – Albert Trotter
    Great Uncle 2 – Jack Trotter
    Great Uncle 3 – George Trotter
    Great Aunt - ?Ada Trotter

3. What OFaH phrase was actually borrowed from a 1960's orange juice drink advert and then, being made popular in 'Only Fools and Horses', was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2003?

Lovely Jubbly

4. "As the French say..." - Provide translations for the following foreign lingo as meant by Del Boy! (5 needed):

A - Mange tout! – Oh my God?
    B - Bonjour! - Goodbye
    C - Puscas puscas – Come on?
    D – Polizia – Police?
    E - Pot Pourri! – Oh Dear?
    F - Tel aviv – Don’t know
    G - Creme de la menthe – The best?

5. What was the most watched episode of OFAH, what did it set a record for, and what year did it air?

Time on our hands, 25/12/1996, largest viewing figures for a UK Comedy show.

Reg Trotter

7. Who created OFaH and what was the working title prior to 'Only Fools and Horses'?

John Sullivan & 'Readies'

8. Rodney (All needed):
    Has how many GCSE's and in what subjects? - 2 maths and art
    Is known by what name to Trigger? - Dave
    Is how many years younger than Del? - 13, although I'm going by what del says in Big Brother. I'm aware this is contradicted a few times throughout the show
    Was thrown out of Art School for what reason? - Smoking a joint
    What was Rodney's middle name and after what was he named? - Charlton after Charlton FC

What is Boycie's hobby and where was his holiday home? - Don't know
    What school did Trigger go to? - Arghh, can't remember the name!
    What is Trigger's real name? - Colin Bell, but that's never said on the show.
    According to the OFaH's creator why did Lennard Pearce, the actor who played Grandad, win the part? - Because he wanted someone who reminded him of the old man from Steptoe & Son
    Cassandra - finish the quote by filling in the blank: "It happens to me all the time - I meet a guy, we get on well, he [BLANK] - end of story." - 'He gets his eyesight back.'
    What was Uncle Albert's nickname? - Boomerang Trotter.
    Which supporting character features in the most episodes after Del Boy and Rodney? - Will guess Trigger
    How many medals had Albert won during his time in the Royal Navy and what was the common factor which lead to them being awarded to him? - Another guess of 7, and he was the only one left alive after the boat sunk
    How did Rachel originally meet Del? Any names must be specific please. - through a computer dating agency, can’t remember the name of it.

10. Name the two series which spun off from OFaH - one sequel and one prequel - and the characters on which they focus.

Rock & Chips and The Green, Green grass, although I wouldn't say it’s a sequel as such.

A)
    Del Boy: [interrupts Albert] "If you say during the war one more time, I'll pour this cup of tea over your head."
    Uncle Albert: "During the armed conflict of 1939 to 1945....."

B)
    Lennox (While holding the Trotters hostage): "I'm known as the Shadow, because I'm fast and fleeting. I come and I go, and no-one knows."
    Del Boy: "You come and go do ya? It's gonna take you fourteen bleedin' hours to come and go in here."
    Uncle Albert: "I've known epidemics come and go faster"

C)
    Barrister reviewing Albert's war record: "It says here you were based in the stores on the Isle of Wight, hardly overseas, is it?"
    Uncle Albert: "you wanna try walking it pal"

What is Del Boy's favourite song? - Old Shep
    For what price did the watch sell at the auction which made Del Boy a rich man? - 6.2M
    How many years did his riches last and what brought an end to his dream? 1 year and it was lost on The commodities market
    What floor is Del's flat on and what does it say on the bathroom door? - 37th floor, and dunno.
    Twice Del hints he's a football supporter, which two teams does he suggest he's a fan of? Millwall & Chelsea

13. The writer of OFaH had a tendency which eventually, directly, lead to a change in the show starting with season six - what was his tendency and what was the change?

He wrote scripts that were too long for the half hour shows, so the running time was extended.

Rodney's Father, and gentleman thief and safecracker. His accomplice was Jelly Kelly

15. Name (first and last names please!) the two local gangsters, what was the strict rule they followed, and for which famous actor (and OFaH fan) was one of the two roles written, although movie commitments prevented his playing the role?

Anthony Hopkins was due to play Tony Driscoll. Danny is the other brother. They never touched the face.

16. Ptolemy's Geographia provides the earliest known written reference to habitation in the Dublin area. By what name is the settlement there referred to?

It's been referred to in Latin previously by something like ebarabada, so ill guess that as haven't a clue.

17. During the 3rd Century AD, The Annals of the Four Masters, Foras feasa ar Éirinn, place whom as the, long-standing, possibly legendary, High King of Ireland?

Brian Boru?

18. St. Patrick returned to Ireland in which year (according to the Annals of Ulster and other chronicles)?

Guess 425?

19. At the beginning of the 13th Century, Henry III of England issued what charter and towards the end of the century what important first meeting took place in Dublin?

Magna Charta Hibernian, and not sure of the meeting.

20. The large-scale famine of 1740 had what cause and resulted in how many deaths?

The cause was Arctic weather and poor/no crop returns. Deaths are approximated to be near the 1 Million mark.

My PC decided to play silly beggers so had to do thus on my phone. Apologies if it is messy! Some tough questions there, ill be happy if I get 10!

Thanks, enjoyed that a lot!
    Last edited by opel80uk; 25-08-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post

It ran over 7 seasons with 19 Christmas specials. First episode was Big Brother showed in September 81 (can't remember day) and last was sleepless in peckham shown on the 25/12/2003.

Incorrect. 7 Seasons, yes, 19 Christmas Specials, Big Brother was the first airing on the 8th Sep. 1981 and 'Sleepless...' was the last one as you said, not counting the shorter specials, of which 'Beckham in Peckham' was the last on 21st March 2014. So all correct except for the date of the 1st episode.

Father – Reg Trotter Correct
    Mother – Joan Trotter Correct
    Grandfather - Edward/Ted Trotter Correct
    Grandmother - Can't remember Incorrect. Violet Trotter
    Half-brother – Rodney Trotter Correct
    Half Sister-in-law - Cassandra Parry/Trotter Correct
    Half Niece - Joan Trotter Correct
    Fiancee - Raquel Turner Correct - Technically 'Rachel'
    Son - Damien Trotter Correct
    Great Uncle 1 – Albert Trotter Correct
    Great Uncle 2 – Jack Trotter Correct
    Great Uncle 3 – George Trotter Correct
    Great Aunt - ?Ada Trotter Correct

12/13 - Correct

Lovely Jubbly Correct

A - Mange tout! – Oh my God? Incorrect. 'My pleasure/No problem'
    B - Bonjour! - Goodbye Correct
    C - Puscas puscas – Come on? Incorrect. Approval/it's alright (Spanish)
    D – Polizia – Police? Correct. One word he knows in every language!
    E - Pot Pourri! – Oh Dear? More or less. Sort of, 'I don't believe it!' Correct
    F - Tel aviv – Don’t know Incorrect. 'You can never tell'.
    G - Creme de la menthe – The best? Correct

4/7 Incorrect. Tough one that. Well done.

Time on our hands, 25/12/1996, largest viewing figures for a UK Comedy show. Correct

Reg Trotter Correct

John Sullivan & 'Readies' Correct

8. Rodney (All needed):
    Has how many GCSE's and in what subjects? - 2 maths and art Correct
    Is known by what name to Trigger? - Dave Correct
    Is how many years younger than Del? - 13, although I'm going by what del says in Big Brother. I'm aware this is contradicted a few times throughout the show Indeed! Correct.
    Was thrown out of Art School for what reason? - Smoking a joint Correct
    What was Rodney's middle name and after what was he named? - Charlton after Charlton FC Correct - Charlton Athletic FC

5/5 Correct

What is Boycie's hobby and where was his holiday home? - Don't know Incorrect. Keeping tropical fish and Cornwall.
    What school did Trigger go to? - Arghh, can't remember the name! Incorrect. Dockside Secondary Modern
    What is Trigger's real name? - Colin Bell, but that's never said on the show. Urgh...hate to do this, incorrect. Sorry! It's Colin Ball.
    According to the OFaH's creator why did Lennard Pearce, the actor who played Grandad, win the part? - Because he wanted someone who reminded him of the old man from Steptoe & Son. Incorrect. It was, apparently, because of his "deep, croaky voice."
    Cassandra - finish the quote by filling in the blank: "It happens to me all the time - I meet a guy, we get on well, he [BLANK] - end of story." - 'He gets his eyesight back.' Bingo! Nice one. Correct.
    What was Uncle Albert's nickname? - Boomerang Trotter. Correct.
    Which supporting character features in the most episodes after Del Boy and Rodney? - Will guess Trigger Correct!
    How many medals had Albert won during his time in the Royal Navy and what was the common factor which lead to them being awarded to him? - Another guess of 7, and he was the only one left alive after the boat sunk. Seven, yes. And I can't confirm if he was the only one left, but yes, because the boats sunk, all of them!
    How did Rachel originally meet Del? Any names must be specific please. - through a computer dating agency, can’t remember the name of it. Correct. I was hoping to draw out the name but reading the question that isn't clear. It's the Technomatch Dating Agency

5/9 Incorrect.

Rock & Chips and The Green, Green grass, although I wouldn't say it’s a sequel as such. Incorrect. You got the titles but forgot to mention the characters one which they focus. 'Green, Green Grass' focuses on Boycie after he flees London and 'Rock' of course tells the story of Del and Rodney's origins/family.

A)
    Uncle Albert: "During the armed conflict of 1939 to 1945....."

Technically, "During the 1939, 1945 conflict with Germany", but close enough. Correct. Classic!

B)
    Uncle Albert: "I've known epidemics come and go faster"

Again, slight variance but correct.

C)
    Uncle Albert: "you wanna try walking it pal"
    Correct.

Correct!

What is Del Boy's favourite song? - Old Shep Correct.
    For what price did the watch sell at the auction which made Del Boy a rich man? - 6.2M Correct.
    How many years did his riches last and what brought an end to his dream? 1 year and it was lost on The commodities market. Incorrect. 5 years. But it was lost on the market.
    What floor is Del's flat on and what does it say on the bathroom door? - 37th floor, and dunno. Incorrect. It's number 368 on the 12th floor. The bathroom door had a sign saying 4U2P.
    Twice Del hints he's a football supporter, which two teams does he suggest he's a fan of? Millwall & Chelsea Correct.
    3/5 Incorrect.

He wrote scripts that were too long for the half hour shows, so the running time was extended. Correct! Nice one.

Rodney's Father, and gentleman thief and safecracker. His accomplice was Jelly Kelly. Incorrect. You missed his nickname - Freddy the Frog.

Anthony Hopkins was due to play Tony Driscoll. Danny is the other brother. They never touched the face. Correct. Perfect. Well done.

It's been referred to in Latin previously by something like ebarabada, so ill guess that as haven't a clue. Incorrect. Nice attempt though. Eblana Civitas.

Brian Boru? Incorrect. Cormac mac Airt

Guess 425? Incorrect. 432.

Magna Charta Hibernian, and not sure of the meeting. Incorrect. Right charter but the meeting was the meeting of the first representative Irish Parliament in Dublin.

The cause was Arctic weather and poor/no crop returns. Deaths are approximated to be near the 1 Million mark. Incorrect. The cause is correct, however, the death toll, was, as far as I can gather from a collection of sources, between 300,000 and 500,000. Records of death and population weren't great at the time however population estimates are around the 2.4 million mark. If you can demonstrate a solid source for close to one million I'll reverse this.

My PC decided to play silly beggers so had to do thus on my phone. Apologies if it is messy! Some tough questions there, ill be happy if I get 10!

Thanks, enjoyed that a lot!
    10/20

Nice going opel. Some tricky ones in there and good number of multiple part questions. You missed out on a few points by missing part of the answers of some.

Thanks

Kushti

they were hard questions.. wasn't expecting to do brilliantly, but couldn't make any kind of a dent in those, well done my son.

Thread Information