• Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Natwest are trying to be seen to be doing the right thing

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    It kills them, but you get one hell of a display if you do it for too long!
    I was going to say, if for tags embedded in clothing it depends on whether you want to wear the burn marks with pride

OTOH you can probably read them with a modern phone (I turn NFC off on mine as useless battery drain, not tried) so you could hammer/bend them gently until they stop responding. Ideally you would want to remove it intact and tape to the underside of a shopping trolley

2. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (01-08-2014)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post

I seem to have come across as either wanting to and expecting that views change during this discussion, at least that is what it seems from your response. ....
    Oh, no, Nox, not at all what I meant. I'm sorry if you thought I meant that.

All I meant is that because I'm prepared to vociferously and extensively argue my case, some people think I'm trying to change their mind, tell them they're wrong. And in the vast majority of cases, that's not what I mean at all.

SSDs are a good example. I'm not saying they're bad. Far from it. I'm not saying I think those that buy them (which includes me, by the way) are wrong. I am saying that the speed benefit you get depends entirely on what you use your PC for, and to some extent, how you use it.

I'm not arguing that people shouldn't buy one if they want to. I am pointing out that blanket assurances that everyone benefits hugely are certainly false, because I don't. And because I challenge that "always a good idea" line, people seem to assume I'm challenging their decision to buy. I'm not. Merely the assumption that because they think they're always a huge benefit, they automatically will to everybody else.

It's not that I think you're trying to change people's minds, Nox. It's that lots of people seem to think that's what I'm doing, but if you look at my posts on that type of issue, I litter them them "IMHO", and "for me", and so forth.

Same on personal info. There's nothing, at all, wrong with your thinking, or decision, on personal info. I'm not for a nano-second arguing that, because I protect my personal info determinefly, everybody else should, any more than I'm suggesting that because I detest horseradish sauce, everybody else should, too. I could describe why I detest the stuff, and I'd be right, for me. If you love it, that's right for you.

And idpf someone asked on here if they should use it, my snswer would be something like "I think it's a foul concoction, but you may love it". And if someone comes on and says it's great, everyone lives it, I'm going to point out that that's not true. Not everyone does, and the only way to find out for sure is probably to taste it.

Much like SSDs, really. Lots of people live 'em, and I wouldn't dispute that, ir that buying was right for them, and be right for many people. But not all. So, I try to describe why, for me, they're distinctly 'meh'. Someone thinking about it can consider why I'm not bothered, and how that relates to their circumstances, and that may be quite a bit, or not at all. And decide accordingly. But the only way they can really be sure if they like either horseradish or SSDs is probably going to be to 'taste' them.

So no, Nox, I don't think you're trying to change my mind, or anybodys, on (for instance) personal and/or medical info. I'm actually saying I'm not, either, but that does seem to be how some people take it, what they think I'm arguing.

All I'm really doing is debating a question, and making the case for why I do as I do. What anybidy else does, that's their business.

Of course, someone might come up with a reason I should be more impressed with SSDs. But, so far, they haven't. Anykne is welcome to make the case for why I should give up all my personal info to Tesco, etc, but I wouldn't advise holding their breath waiting for me to change my mind. A good enough reason might convince me, hut nodody's come up with it yet.

Then again, for years, I couldn't stand Brussel Spouts, either. It took a LOT of arguing from a friend to even convince me to give one's he'd cooked a try. He was right, though. I not only ate them, but enjoyed them. I still can't stand anybody else's (that I've tried), since. They make me, quite literally, puke.

4. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (01-08-2014)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    ... Ideally you would want to remove it intact and tape to the underside of a shopping trolley
    I like your thinking, Dances. Devious .... and a smidge nasty. Love it.

It's kinda anti-retail protesting and sabotage, a bit like finding an enemy intelligence service's planted GPS transponder and taping it to a bird's foot, in a spy movie.

I love the idea of the computer trying to make sense of the data from that, erm, 're-homed' ID tag. Better yet, hundreds of them. Per store.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Interesting, Dances. I hadn't taken the methodology quite that far, but you make a good argument. I guess my main point was that if the data is stored, it could be years later before it's used. All it requires is some way, any way, of linking relevant records together. It doesn't needed to be linked to an identifiable individual now, but if at any point in the future that link can be made, then all that data becomes available.
    I did a bit of reading up, and it sounds like things haven't moved on much but so many people are looking at this it might be gaining traction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokeniz...data_security)

Have found this all quite fascinating, we seem to all have a lot of common ground but with different outcomes.

As someone who has pretty much given all my privacy up to Tesco my haul in vouchers this quarter is about £50, so £200/yr. With the right offers can get me £400 to £800 per year in goods/services as you sometimes get 4 for 1 offers but I can at least manage 2 for 1. That is just the vouchers, ignoring coupons and fuel discounts which must save me £150/yr.

We all have a price at which we can be bought, I am trying to maximise the value of my information, selling to the highest bidder if you will.

Then again, for years, I couldn't stand Brussel Spouts, either. It took a LOT of arguing from a friend to even convince me to give one's he'd cooked a try. He was right, though. I not only ate them, but enjoyed them. I still can't stand anybody else's (that I've tried), since. They make me, quite literally, puke.
    Very interesting, I had heard it was a genetic thing, like being able to roll your tongue. Wonder how they hid the disgusting taste.
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 01-08-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Sprouts, yeurgh!

7. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (01-08-2014)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Very interesting, I had heard it was a genetic thing, like being able to roll your tongue. Wonder how they hid the disgusting taste.
    Maybe there's a genetic aspect to it as well, but in my case, I now know it wasn't the case with me.

I'd ask him, but we haven't spoken for ages. He might not tell me anyway. He passed on a few cookery tips, including a great technique for mushtooms in a sauce, on toast. Very quick, very easy and yummy. He did ask me to not pass it on without asking him, though, so I won't. I've no idea quite what he did with the sprouts, beyond that they certainly weren't just boiled. The were firm, not squishy, and dark green, not that wishy-washy green that sprouts so often are, usually as a result of over-boiling. And they were slightly sweet, and certainly not sprout-bitter. Quite what he did I don't know. I'd guess possibly blanched very quickly in boiling water, then maybe ice-water dunked to stop the cooking. Then maybe finished some other way, butvwhatever it was muted that sprout bitterness, added something rlse, almost like a hint of ginger, and left a perfectly acceptable taste, and texture. Frankly, if I had been blind-tasting without sering what they were, or already knowing, I'd never haved guessed at sprouts.

Anyway, after one of my more epic off-topic moments (how'd I get from NatWest to the finer points, or otherwise, of sprouts, anyway?) I'll leave the culinary aspects at that, and go read your link.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I did a bit of reading up, and it sounds like things haven't moved on much but so many people are looking at this it might be gaining traction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokeniz...data_security)

Have found this all quite fascinating, we seem to all have a lot of common ground but with different outcomes.

As someone who has pretty much given all my privacy up to Tesco my haul in vouchers this quarter is about £50, so £200/yr. With the right offers can get me £400 to £800 per year in goods/services as you sometimes get 4 for 1 offers but I can at least manage 2 for 1. That is just the vouchers, ignoring coupons and fuel discounts which must save me £150/yr.

We all have a price at which we can be bought, I am trying to maximise the value of my information, selling to the highest bidder if you will.
    I'm not sure I'd have put it quite like that, being "bought". But in those terms, I value my privacy highly enough that I can't believe my data could possibly be worth enough to anyone that they'd be prepared to pay what I'd demand as a minimum. So, in the real world, at anything resembling realistic prices, I suppose I'm saying my data just isn't for sale, at any (realistic) price.

I mean, rounding out your figures (with which I have a couple of problems, more in a minute), call it a grand a year for convenience. Well, firstly, with my lifestyle, I don't believe I'd get that high. But if I did, it wouldn't be enough. If, on the other hand, Bill Gates offers me a billion quid, I'll snatch his hand off. So I guess the point at which I'd sell out is somewhere in the middle. Or at least, in-between.

As for those "problems" with your figures, two hit me immediately. The first is exactly what they're paying for with that grand a year, and the second is the value of money.

So, what are they paying for? Yes, personal data is part of it. I'd suggest it's more than that, though. The psychology of "reward" cards is not just to buy your data, but to put you in the mindset of going to that supermarket over the others. It won't always work, for sure, but I'd bet it does with a high percentage of people, a high percentage of the time. So, overall, on average, they're buying your loyalty as well as your data. And, most of us are creatures of habit. If we get into a habit of buying this brand, or from that shop, odds are that short of a major incident to break that habit, you'll carry on doing it.

Fortunately, for me, what buys my shop loyalty is excellent customer service, and my experience is that Waitrose/John Lewis have that nailed. And I don't need to pay by card to get it.

Second, value of money. What a given sum of money means to an individual depends on how much money that individual has, and what their needs are.

Does that grand or so mean the same to you as it does to a single mum, working two jobs at minimum wage? I'm guessung not. Does that grand mean the same to a £300,000/week footballer as it does to you. Again, I'm guessing not.

What does a grand really mean? It depends how much you have, and how much you spend. I'm not wealthy by any stretch, but there's not that much that I really want that a grand could buy that I haven't already got. Oh, if you give me a grand in cash I'm sure I could find something to spend it on, but off the top of my head, I've no idea what it'd be. There's nothing I want badly enough that I'm itching to get it and it's just the lack of money stopping me. It's not that I've indulged every whim I could scratch, simply that there's not much I really want.

So, if I suddenly find myself with an extra grand a year, what would I do with it? Dunno, but it'd probably end up in a savings account. The point is, my actual needs are pretty simple, and it's not so much that I've hot a high income, so much as low outgoings, and no real desire for much more.

I could upgrade my PC, but as my current one, which I'd bet is way behind what most users here have, does everything I need of it, and does it fine, why bother? I could upgrade my camera, but the current one actually does everything I need. I could upgrade one of my pairs of hifi speakers, in the second room. But a friend on here, another mod (I won't name him to spare blushes, but he knows I love the speakers), gave me a pair recently. They're not £1000 speakers, but I'm more than delighted with the sound, so what would I gain by replacing them?

And so on.

So what, even if I were to get a grand a year for my personal data, would the money mean to me? Much less than it would to that single mum, not least because I'm not trying to feed and clothe kids, let alone on a shoestring budget.

You said we all have a lot of common ground, but reached different outcomes, different conclusions or decisions. And I absolutely agree with that.

I do what's right for me, which is exactly what you do. All that differs is what that is.

10. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (01-08-2014)

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

I must say I dislike the thought of selling my personal data, which is probably why I enjoyed keeping it private. I think much like Saracen, my data isn't for sale, at least not for a reasonable price. The caveat is that I will happily donate my data to organisations that I agree with, and the fact that others are willing to pay a handsome price for my data makes me think even more carefully about who I allow access to it.

Thinking about it now, it seems my thinking is unnecessarily complicated. I won't sell my data but will donate it, weird. Despite how it sounds, now that I've read it back to myself, I still agree with it. I guess my thoughts on corporations are that they can be good and bad, so I reward, and try to influence, the good ones and hence I give them an advantage when it comes to my data. I wish others would think in the same way but I understand just how silly it seems now...

I strongly agree with voting with your wallet. I feel it is the only meaningful contribution people make to society. It frustrates me that people don't realise how much good can be done by voting with your wallet. I guess I am starting to vote with my data now. It could be even more meaningful to do that going forward. Data seems to be the next big thing although it is becoming a big thing very slowly.

To go back to an earlier post of yours Saracen, I find your inclusion of "IMHO", "for me" and so forth to be excessive. Despite that people seem to ignore them. I feel it is sad that people can read so badly that they think the person's message was typed in a similar vayne to their own. Too much projection of our thoughts goes into reading, we have a serious issue with our education system which relates to that. The topic has morphed so much I will resist going into another tangential topic.

Jumping back into the original topic: I find that the new focus on simplicity with Natwest to be refreshing. I chose to bank with the Co-operative because I prefered the way they did things, which involved an easier to read agreement and simple account terms. I have a similar reason for liking Google, it is nice to be able to read terms and conditions in English rather than legalese or whatever you want to call legal nonsense. It is not enough to get me to take out the credit card, but it is a plus point in my book.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

To go back to an earlier post of yours Saracen, I find your inclusion of "IMHO", "for me" and so forth to be excessive. Despite that people seem to ignore them. I feel it is sad that people can read so badly that they think the person's message was typed in a similar vayne to their own. Too much projection of our thoughts goes into reading, we have a serious issue with our education system which relates to that. The topic has morphed so much I will resist going into another tangential topic.

I agree I use IMHO (etc) too much, but I use it because long forum experience tells me that if I don't, I end up spending lots of time going back in subsequent posts, explaining "that's not or what I said", or worse yet, 'not what I meant". A common debate tactic is to pick up on some specific remark and portray it, deliberately or otherwise, as having meant something I didn't. By the time I've finished pointing out that I'm not going to defend something I didn't mean, the actual focys has been lost, and it's annoying as hell to have someone misrepresent what I said, and then expect me go defend their misrepresentation of it, and if I don't, or won't, crow about it as if they've scored a point.

And, though I don't particularly like the acronym, being clear that something is an opinion can radically change what you actually said, and meant.

Consider the following fictitious quotes ....

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl
    SSDs are fantastic value for money, and an essential upgrade.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl
    In my opinion, SSDs are fantastic value for money, and an essential upgrade.
    On the first quote, I'd argue that while it may be true, on both value and essentialness for some, it isn't true for everyone. On the second, while I might have a different opinion, I'm not going to argue that you're wrong yo have that opinion.

But, when I'm giving an opinion, experience tells me that someone is going to construe it as a general statement of fact if they possibly can, and I'm absolutely sure that, at least on some occasions, it's been misinterpreted deliberately. So, I try to leave as little scope for that as possible. Hence, loads of IMHOS, etc.

13. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    • csgohan4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
      • CPU:
      • I7 4770K with Noctua-D15
      • Memory:
      • G SKILL 2400Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB| Seagate 1TB + 1.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860
      • Case:
      • HAF X with NF-S12B FLX, TY-140, X4 Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm and Demciflex Dust Flters
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24inch LCD W2468L
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre Unlimited with Asus DSL N66U

Saracen I disagree with you, IMHO

Trust Profile HEXUS Forum FAQ and Colour coding/Post Count awards

'The Fox is cunning and relentless, and has got his Fibre Optic Broadband'

15. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (02-08-2014)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Thinking about it now, it seems my thinking is unnecessarily complicated. I won't sell my data but will donate it, weird. Despite how it sounds, now that I've read it back to myself, I still agree with it. I guess my thoughts on corporations are that they can be good and bad, so I reward, and try to influence, the good ones and hence I give them an advantage when it comes to my data. I wish others would think in the same way but I understand just how silly it seems now...

It might surprise you that I don't find that weird, at all. In fact, I entirely agree with drawing the distinction.

For me, maintaining my privacy isn't really about putting a monetary value on it. I don't see it in money terms. Which is precisely why I'm not seduced by reward cards. It's corporations that are seeking to put a monetary value on access to personal data, because, for them, it has a direct monetary value. I'm sure some business analyst somewhere could put a value per year of access to an average individual's personal data, in terms of return on investment from targeted ad's, or increased shop revenue from customer loyalty and inertia. I'd bet they could break it down by occupation, income group, and most likely, postcode, too.

But for me, it's not about money, but about peace and quiet, being left alone by interfering corporations in my own home. By not having to deal with junk mail through my door, in my email in-tray or worst of all, by SMS.

I simply don't want to be pestered, by companies, in this way. Period. It doesn't matter who it is, what deal they're pimping, or what they try to make out I get out of it, I simply want to be left the bleep alone. No unsolicited marketing, in any form, by any company, with any offer, ever again. That's my ideal situation. Money isn't the issue.

On the other hand, helping "good causes" .... well, it's also not about selling data, but offering it IF the cause is good. And moreover, unlike companies, the objective of at least some of those "good causes" is not about making money, or at least, not only about that. So I MIGHT be convinced to allow access to my medical records BUT .... I'd insist on me bring the one making that decision, if I was convinced of the cause, and even then, I'd insist on certain safeguards or I wouldn't agree. One of those safeguards would be that those records were provided ONLY to the organisation I agreed to, and ONLY for the specified purpose, and would not under any circumstances be passed on to anyone else, for any other reason.

Suppose, Nox, you agree to allow access to medical data. Suppose that includes samples of material from which a full DNA sequence can be run. It only takes a couple of days, now, you know. Suppose that DNA sequence shows a genetic disposition to a serioys illness, or a heart condition, etc. On the one hand, it might help develop a treatment, or get you treated. On the other hand, if the wrong people can access your data, it might mean you can't get life insurance, or a future employer takes one look at your data and declines to offer you a job, because you're an unnecessary risk.

Hence, absolutely no way will I EVER agree go a blanket uploading of my medical data, and allowing an NHS bureaucracy to determine who gets access go it, and for what projects and uses. A bit like personal data, but the genie's out, once you've lost control, you've lost control. The medical stuff certainly isn't about money. And I wouldn't sell that at any price that wasn't enough to allow me to buy a Branson-style private island, and live a life of a luxury-bound hermit, invited family and friends only.

17. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (02-08-2014)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csgohan4 View Post
    Saracen I disagree with you, IMHO

It's a free world. Sort-of. Within limits. Sometimes. If you're lucky. On a good day.

All IMHO, of course.

19. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

What does a grand really mean? It depends how much you have, and how much you spend.
    I have a family to feed, mortgage to pay, usual stuff. Money isn't *that* tight, but I only have a tablet because £60 of vouchers doubled up to getting a Hudl. My wife has a very nice watch thanks to the 4 for 1 voucher offer Goldsmiths were doing. Another voucher multiplier is figleaves, so some of the vouchers have gone on clothes. All this is luxuries that we wouldn't have.

As for loyalty, I don't like our local Waitrose (apart from the cafe) so Sainsburys is the one of choice, and they have their own loyalty card. I often wonder if I get good Tesco coupons because via the credit card they can see I shop at Sainsburys

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

From casual observation the people I know who are most broke on spiralling credit card debt are also those most into HUKD, TopCashBack, Black Friday, Groupon etc. The ability to resist getting a fantastic deal even though they fundamantally can't afford it. It is always the same sort of guff too - flashy watches, latest phones, blingy premium brand coffee makers or showoffy BBQs.

Quite sure much of the attraction is social ladder chip-on-shoulder combined with brand label envy and showing off, rather than need. NatWest are appealing to the minority who engage their brains - there are still a few hopefully.
    Last edited by wasabi; 02-08-2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: paragraphs wrong way round

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

On the first quote, I'd argue that while it may be true, on both value and essentialness for some, it isn't true for everyone. On the second, while I might have a different opinion, I'm not going to argue that you're wrong yo have that opinion.

But, when I'm giving an opinion, experience tells me that someone is going to construe it as a general statement of fact if they possibly can, and I'm absolutely sure that, at least on some occasions, it's been misinterpreted deliberately. So, I try to leave as little scope for that as possible. Hence, loads of IMHOS, etc.
    That is fair enough. My approach is different though. I prefer to expose the lack of proper reading when someone takes a statement I make as anything other than opinion. Everything anyone says is opinion or what they can understand from their point of view; there are few exceptions and those can be prefaced with "this is a fact" or perhaps add a supplementary statement at the end like "believe it or not that is a fact."

I much prefer to point that out and have the person either refuse to accept that way of thinking than to conform to their way of thinking by adding in a ridiculous amount of qualifying statements that end up making your argument lack coherence. I very much like the way George Orwell approached writing, make every word tell. Each word in a sentence should provide the correct function you desire so that your point gets across properly. it is the reason why I tend to take so long writing because I edit my posts, even small ones like this, multiple times to remove unnecessary words. I don't go through all the effort for some idiot, and I mean an absolute dumbass, to go and read it improperly and call me out for making a bad argument. I stand by how I wrote my argument and what was included in it. Anyone reading my posts back can figure out that I was sincere and well intentioned regardless of whether a troll or otherwise brain dead person managed to construe it incorrectly.

As you can tell this is a button of mine, something that I can go on about at length. However I have improved my thinking on the matter and, most importantly, have improved the way I respond to people who misread my posts. When I first started on forums I would attack someone for reading my posts wrong, I did that because I felt they were just being stupid and/or dishonest. That didn;t work out so well and got me banned once. I then molded into a more passive aggressive response where I made sure my response was barbed in a way that represented the person questioning my writing as an idiot. I've now come round to simply re-quoting my previous message and highlighting the thing I think they missed. If they don't get it after that I ignore them, because it isn't worth my time.

I find this to be a good way of doing things when you are surrounded by people that can read properly, which is what I love about Hexus. It has been working for the last few years, at least I get a lot less annoyed on forums now. There might be a few adjustments later but I'm closer to a good way of dealing with the problem than I was before and can only get better from here.

It might surprise you that I don't find that weird, at all. In fact, I entirely agree with drawing the distinction.

For me, maintaining my privacy isn't really about putting a monetary value on it. I don't see it in money terms. Which is precisely why I'm not seduced by reward cards. It's corporations that are seeking to put a monetary value on access to personal data, because, for them, it has a direct monetary value. I'm sure some business analyst somewhere could put a value per year of access to an average individual's personal data, in terms of return on investment from targeted ad's, or increased shop revenue from customer loyalty and inertia. I'd bet they could break it down by occupation, income group, and most likely, postcode, too.

But for me, it's not about money, but about peace and quiet, being left alone by interfering corporations in my own home. By not having to deal with junk mail through my door, in my email in-tray or worst of all, by SMS.

I simply don't want to be pestered, by companies, in this way. Period. It doesn't matter who it is, what deal they're pimping, or what they try to make out I get out of it, I simply want to be left the bleep alone. No unsolicited marketing, in any form, by any company, with any offer, ever again. That's my ideal situation. Money isn't the issue.

On the other hand, helping "good causes" .... well, it's also not about selling data, but offering it IF the cause is good. And moreover, unlike companies, the objective of at least some of those "good causes" is not about making money, or at least, not only about that. So I MIGHT be convinced to allow access to my medical records BUT .... I'd insist on me bring the one making that decision, if I was convinced of the cause, and even then, I'd insist on certain safeguards or I wouldn't agree. One of those safeguards would be that those records were provided ONLY to the organisation I agreed to, and ONLY for the specified purpose, and would not under any circumstances be passed on to anyone else, for any other reason.

Suppose, Nox, you agree to allow access to medical data. Suppose that includes samples of material from which a full DNA sequence can be run. It only takes a couple of days, now, you know. Suppose that DNA sequence shows a genetic disposition to a serioys illness, or a heart condition, etc. On the one hand, it might help develop a treatment, or get you treated. On the other hand, if the wrong people can access your data, it might mean you can't get life insurance, or a future employer takes one look at your data and declines to offer you a job, because you're an unnecessary risk.

Hence, absolutely no way will I EVER agree go a blanket uploading of my medical data, and allowing an NHS bureaucracy to determine who gets access go it, and for what projects and uses. A bit like personal data, but the genie's out, once you've lost control, you've lost control. The medical stuff certainly isn't about money. And I wouldn't sell that at any price that wasn't enough to allow me to buy a Branson-style private island, and live a life of a luxury-bound hermit, invited family and friends only.
    That is a very good point. I make the distinction because I feel it is wrong to lump things together unnecessarily. It doesn't make it confusing for me to think about; perhaps confusing for me to explain but that should improve with practice.

Your example of the medical data is a big reason why I wanted to opt out when I first had the chance to. I've come round to the opinion that if an insurance company won't take me on because of a DNA sequence, despite my impressive diet and healthy lifestyle, then I don't want to be giving them my money. If that insurance company is willing to deny me insurance based on a DNA sequence it highlights two things for me: the first is that they don't understand DNA properly and are clearly not a good insurance provider because they lack a basic understanding of what they are actually dealing with, and second is that if they are willing to fight over something like this before I have insurance with them then it seems to me that they would very likely fight legitimate claims as well just because they thought they might get away with it. I would have no confidence in them and therefore wouldn't use them.

If I couldn't find any insurance company willing to give me life insurance because of my DNA sequence then I would set aside a savings account that my next of kin owns which I will pay money into on a monthly basis. I would not have car insurance if it wasn't for the law telling me I will go to jail if I don't, insurance companies annoy me as much as banks do and that is saying a hell of a lot. No other sector of our economy, not even economists themselves, could be highlighted more on my blacklist. Politicians and Lawyers are ranked higher than Bankers and Insurers in my social standing list, not that I have a word file with one... /joke

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________

Agreed wasabi. So many people fall into that category you highlight that it scares me sometimes. So many things occur, from my perspective, because of a critical lack of brain engagement. People seem to run on autopilot most of the time which is insane.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I.....

....er....

I ....er. well....

what I......

.... er......... what I was...

er......

/hmm

I'm glad I mentioned it then....

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

24. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (02-08-2014)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

more words in this thread than many many others for a long long time

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information