• 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Hexus Mastermind Thread #9 -ik9000 - Prophets vs. Power-loaders

9. Stephen Langton and Robert Estienne, in the 13th and 16th centuries respectively, made what adaptation to the Bible?

Printing press? No idea.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

10. For the nation of Israel, in the Old Testament, generally speaking there are three main forms of worship required by God - what were they? (2/3 needed)

Obedience to the Jewish law, and the worship of God through that, circumcision, the practising of sacrifices and feasts, - particularly atonement - the yearly sacrifice for the sins of the people by the high priest at the temple, and passover.

But truth be told all the scarifices and obedient following of pedantic laws meant nothing. It was the heart, and the love and devotion to their God that He requires, not outward appearance and acts. And they can't do it - and he tells them so, and promises the time is coming when he will change that, and give them new hearts and they will know him, each of them. But for the time being they were to follow him according to the law as revealed to Moses. This is all as described in both old and new testaments, and is ultimately all fulfilled and achieved through Jesus death and resurrection. Which is why Christians bang on about it so much.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

11. Within chapters 42-53 of Isaiah there are four specific poems which are also collectively known as what (some people count a fifth in Isaiah 61)?

The suffering servant? These are the main parts of Isaiah foretelling Christ (or in Jewish, the Messiah) and likening him to a suffering servant. Is poem the right word? Prophesy?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

12. Name the books by the quote (6/10 please):
    A - "In those days there was no king is Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes." JUDGES
    B - "Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you." RUTH (to Naomi)
    C - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:16
    D - "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." PSALMS (Psalm 51 I think after David has sinned with Bathsheeba)
    E - "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing." 1 CORINTHIANS
    F - "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor, and the day of vengeance of our God."

I was going to say Christ in the gospels, but he stops short of the day of vengeance for that is still to come, so this makes it ISAIAH I think.
    G - "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." JAMES
    H - “With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with a thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?" He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" Arghh I so know this, I'm too rusty on the minor prophets - so a punt - AMOS.
    I - "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." JOHN (gospel of )
    J - "“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might." DEUTERONOMY

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

13. The four Gospels were written to different audiences and with different focuses/purposes in mind, name the gospels (all four required) and for each one at least one of either, their intended audience, or, their specific focus/purpose. (Thus, a possible 8 correct answers with at least 4 needed).

Matthew - to a predominantly Jewish audience, so lots of "kingdom of heaven" references to avoid mentioning Jahweh and unpacking of how Jesus was truly Messianic - and explaining the real heart of the Jewish law e.g the unpacking of God's priorities in the sermon of the mount.

Mark - probably Peter's account - unpacking how Jesus was truly God, making promises only God could make and doing the things only God can do. Lots of parables and their explanation

Luke - to a non Jewish audience, originally written to Theophilus, (so probably Greek) so more explanation of Jewish traditions and written so that you may have certainty of that which you have been taught - ie the gospel. This has more accounts of Jesus acceptance of non-Jews and talks of "the kingdom of God"

John - primarily concerned with Jesus authority and teaching in regards to his divinity and the oneness of God. Anti-gnostic. All the "I am's" are from John, and the unpacking of God the father, son and spirit in how they interrelate and work in unison. "In the beginning was the word, and the word became flesh and dwelt amongst us". "The son can do only what the father shows him" The Son and the Father both send the Spirit, etc.

Matthew and Luke probably derive from Mark, there is a lot of overlap. Some argue for the existence of a prior source text for all three - Q. Note though that all four gospels are clear in their purpose of describing the extraordinary life and claims of Jesus, and giving account of his death and resurrection, and the need to have faith in Him. They claim to be directly historical citing times, dates, places and rulers when the events take place.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

14. The Messiah is a central Biblical figure for both Jews and Christians. What does 'Messiah' literally mean, and name three specific Old Testament prophetic passages about the Messiah. Additionally, name three New Testament books written with the specific focus of illustrating Jesus as the expected Messiah or which deal with Jesus' role of Messiah in detail. (5/7 needed).

Messiah aka Christ from Christos in Greek. The Messiah is the saviour, the redeemer, God's chosen rescuer of his people. It would be a king of David's line, liberating God's people and establishing God's kingdom for eternity.

Three books on Jesus being the Messiah? THEY ALL ARE! the whole bible has that as its entire theme from Genesis to Revelation the whole book is about Christ and how God will rescue his people through him. See the wonderful extract (much you-tubed) from Tim Keller's sermon on why Jesus is the better Adam, Able, Enoch, Noah, Moses, Joshua, Aaron, Samuel, Gideon, David, Solomon and all the rest.

I guess you're wanting New testament
    Hebrews - don't back slide you Jewish Christians, Jesus is the messiah, and fulfills the old testament so much better
    Romans - for as in Adam all died, so in Christ Jesus all are saved
    Matthew - written for the purpose of demonstrating to a Jewish audience how Jesus was the Messiah - and tying in lots of old testament references along the way e.g. Daniel's "son of man"

Old testament, again which to pick?
    Isaiah is most often quoted, as one of the previous questions chapters 42-53 describing the servant nature, and sacrifical death of the servant king.
    2 Samuel 7 makes clear that the king will be of David's line.
    Daniel talks about the Son of Man
    Ezekiel has passages in the 30 chapters
    Psalm 2 is pretty clear

so many places, it's hard to know which ones you are looking for.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

15. The Ten Commandments - list them please. (8/10 needed).

Well I prefer Christ's summary "love the Lord you God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength and with all your mind, AND love your neighbour as you love yourself" This summarises all the law and the prophets. However...

The Lord your God is one, you shall have no other Gods before [him]
    Do not make yourself an idol, or any image and worship it.
    Do not misuse the name of the Lord - do not blaspheme
    Observe the Sabbath and keep it Holy

Honour your father and mother
    Do not commit murder
    Do not steal
    Do not commit adultery
    Do not covet
    Do not bare false witness (do not lie)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

16. How many years was Ellen Ripley in Stasis between the end of Alien and the start of Aliens?

56?

17. Who is the actress in the picture portraying Amanda Ripley before Ripleys hearing and what relation is she to Sigourney Weaver? Pass.. Her mother?

18. What is Hicks's tattoo? Pass, no idea. His armour has a stupid heart and locket so maybe something like that?

19. Which film served as the inspiration for Alien and who wrote it? Wrote what, Alien or the inspiration film? Please clarify

20. How does the Motion Tracker in Alien work? It doesn't, it was special effects. No wonder Lambert couldn't work it.

Erm, I can't remember, something about ionising pulse radiation detecting flucuations and disturbances in air pressure/density or something like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    8. There are five major convenants mentioned in the Old Testament which are all referenced throughout the Scriptures. What are they?

Still thinking on this one...

Do you mean covenants directly to individuals or the unpacking of God's overall promise to his people throughout the old testament?
    Specifically referenced covenants.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    19. Which film served as the inspiration for Alien and who wrote it? Wrote what, Alien or the inspiration film? Please clarify
    The film that inspired it.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Specifically referenced covenants.
    and are you counting the three to Abraham as one or three?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    The film that inspired it.
    Not sure, 2001 A space Odessey, Arthur C Clark?
    edit: no wait it was that crappy student film thing they rant on about on the bonus DVD. Oh shoot. Nah, pass.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

So re Q8:

God makes 3 covenants with Abram/Abraham, which are kind of all the same, but each gets more explicit (gen 13, 17, 21)

covenant promises are:
    Abraham will be the father of a great nation, his offspring too numerous to count
    God will never forsake Abraham's line, Abraham and his offspring to practice circumcision
    God will give Abraham the land of canaan, and it will belong to his descendants forever.
    Through Abraham's offspring the whole world (all the nations) will be blessed

Then God makes the covenant with his people Israel following their liberation from Egypt. They shall serve him and have no other god, make no idol, but worship him as Lord and follow his laws. Moses asks them will you do all these things, and they say they will. God promises they shall be his treasured possession, a people set apart, a kingdom of priests and a holy nation - so long as they obey him and keep the covenant (Exodus, fleshed out and reiterated in Deuteronomy) with the sacrifices etc

David is promised in 2 Samuel 7 that a king from his line will always rule God's people, and do so with justice and establish God's kingdom, reigning for eternity. This is described as a covenant elsewhere (Jeremiah)

Then also in Jeremiah, the promise of a new covenant to come - when all men will know God directly, and the promise of a new start and the law written on their hearts. No longer will men seek God, or teach each other of him, for all will know him.

There are also the myriad other promises, all an unpacking of these covenants - to Jacob, the reiteration that his offspring shall become a great nation, and that kings shall come from their line. To the second generation in the wilderness, the renewed covenant and promise of taking the land of Canaan, to Solomon, that God shall hear his people even after they have rebelled and been exiled, and so on and so on. It's all pointing to Christ... but I've tried to stick to the "covenants"

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

right that's me done. Sodding Alien questions - I spent ages going over the last 2 movies again... should have watched the first two more. Thought I knew them inside out. Pah!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

ok in the absence of any answers I looked up that Q19. Guessing you were after Dark Star, Dan O'Bannon?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

#9 it's not giving it chapters and verses is it? itching to know the answers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information