Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hexus Mastermind Thread #9 -ik9000 - Prophets vs. Power-loaders

Thanks

Re: Hexus Mastermind Thread #9 -ik9000 - Prophets vs. Power-loaders

Sorry ik, been extremely busy. Will try to get it done by tomorrow, okay?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Yeah no worries. I know what it's like juggling stuff. Just noticed the tail end of Q6 which I missed before. Similar writers would be James, Peter and John who wrote the other letters. Some suggest Barnabas (wrote Hebrews rather than Paul). Of course ultimately the answer is God, but leaving that aside...
    Last edited by ik9000; 03-09-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: edit as italics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    Q1. List all the Books of the Bible, in usual order. 100% correct please.

Seriously, 66 parts to the answer? All those permutations and I have to get it 100% right for a mark? FFS!
    To my mind, when the Bible is chosen as a Mastermind primary subject, one of the simplest, primary pieces of knowledge is knowing the books of which it consists and their common order. That's my thinking anyway. Similar to how j1979's secondary subject of European geography required him to identify the countries on the map.

1. Genesis
    2. Exodus
    3. Leviticus
    4. Numbers
    5. Deuteronomy
    6. Joshua
    7. Judges
    8. Ruth
    9. 1 Samuel
    10. 2 Samuel
    11. 1 Kings
    12. 2 Kings
    13. 1 Chronicles
    14. 2 Chronicles
    15. Ezra
    16. Nehemiah
    17. Esther
    18. Job
    19. Psalms
    20. Proverbs
    21. Ecclesiastes
    22. Song of Songs (aka Song of Solomon)
    23. Isaiah
    24. Jeremiah
    25. Lamentations
    26. Ezekiel
    27. Daniel
    28. Hosea
    29. Joel
    30. Amos
    31. Obadaiah
    32. Jonah
    33. Micah
    34. Nahum
    35. Habbakuk
    36. Zephaniah
    37. Haggai
    38. Zechariah
    39. Malachi

40. Matthew
    41. Mark
    42. Luke
    43. John
    44. Acts
    45. Romans
    46. 1 Corinthians
    47. 2 Corinthians
    48. Galatians
    49. Ephesians
    50. Phillipians
    51. Colossians
    52. 1 Thessalonians
    53. 2 Thessalonians
    54. 1Timothy
    55. 2 Timothy
    56. Titus
    57. Hebrews
    58. James
    59. Philemon
    60. 1 Peter
    61. 2 Peter
    62. 1 John
    63. 2 John
    64. 3 John
    65. Jude
    66. Revelation
    All names are correct although Philemon is out of place. It should follow Titus.

As you wish. Incorrect.
    Last edited by Galant; 07-09-2014 at 12:11 AM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

2. Arrangement - Please explain what is the normal arrangement of the books, along with all the genres of literature used in the Bible (so that all the books are covered). Additionally, for the Old Testament the Jewish people use the term Tanakh - what arrangement does Tanakh describe? (2 of 3 please.)
    2/3 Correct.

1 - Normal arrangement - Correct
    OT - Law (Torah), History, Wisdom/Poetry, Prophets (Major then Minor)
    NT - Gospels, History, Epistles (Pauline - Regional then 'Pastoral', then General), Apocalyptic/Prophetic

2 - Genre - Correct
    Legal/Law, Historical Narrative, Poetry, Proverb/Wisdom, Gospel, Didactic Letters, Apocalyptic Literature, Prophesy.

3 - Tanakh - Incorrect
    Tanakh is an acronym - TaNaKh - combining Torah (Law), Nevi'im (Prophets) and Ketuvim (Writings)

Torah = Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers & Deuteronomy

Nevi'im = Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah & Malachi.

Ketuvim = Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra-Nehemiah, Chronicles

Thanks

3. Translation - What original languages feature in the Scriptures and broadly speaking what are the three main approaches taken in translating them to other languages - please provide an English Bible version exemplifying each?
    1 - Main languages - Correct Greek (Koine), Hebrew, Aramaic (substantial sections of Daniel & Ezra as well as smaller bits and pieces elsewhere in the Bible).

2 - Main Approaches - Incorrect - Sort of close but the last of the three wasn't quite right.
    Literal (Word for Word)
    Dynamic (Thought for thought)
    Free (Paraphrasing) - 'Preserving meaning but less literal' is a bit too vague. Essentially, free translations are willing to sacrifice some of the depth of meaning and make lot more interpretive decisions when translating in order to prioritise ease of reading and comprehension.

3. Examples - Correct

2/3 Incorrect

Thanks

4. "A king such as all the nations have." In what book is this found and what momentous change does it precipitate?
    This is in 1 Samuel (chapter 7 IIRC) and it is the people's demand for a king to rule over them instead of a judge.
    Correct. The dawn of the age of the human kings of Israel.

Thanks

5. In the New Testament there are several references to the Samaritan people. Who were they, what Old Testament event leads to their origin and where is it recorded?
    The kingdom of Israel having fallen earlier, and been forcedly intra-married in exile is no longer considered "pure". Samaria becomes the name for the northern kingdom, and the tribes from there are called Samaritans. To the Jews (the returnees from the Babylonian exile of Judah which was far shorter approx 70 years) the Samaritans are considered lesser, as their ancestors were forsaken by God and their heritage had been spoiled..
    ollowing Solomon the golden years of the kingdom of Israel come to a miserable end. His son succeeds him as king, is a tactless idiot, and succeeds in alienating the northern tribes from the southern tribes, and the result is civil war and schism. The northern tribes leave, and the kingdom is split in two, the southern kingdom of Judah, and the northern kingdom of Israel consisting of the other tribes.
    This is all recorded in the books of Kings and Chronicles
    Correct.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    To my mind, when the Bible is chosen as a Mastermind primary subject, one of the simplest, primary pieces of knowledge is knowing the books of which it consists and their common order. That's my thinking anyway. Similar to how j1979's secondary subject of European geography required him to identify the countries on the map.

All names are correct although Philemon is out of place. It should follow Titus.
    Just for that, though, I won't cost you the point.

Correct.
    No, fair is fair. Not 100% correct, dock the mark please.

Thanks

7. Literary Devices - please describe/explain the following literary devices/ways of making a point (4/6 needed):
    Hebraic Parallelism
    Chiastic Structure/Chiasm
    Parable
    Type
    Accomodative Language
    Prolepsis
    Hebraic Parallelism - Incorrect. Two or more lines which are connected in thought. There are a few different types of parallelism -e.g. two contrasting thoughts/lines, two supporting/repetitive lines/thoughts, two progressive lines/thoughts. There are lots of ways these, and other forms are used, even including chiastic structure. To understand OT poetry it is absolutely necessary to learn this form, it's everywhere.
    Chiastic Structure/Chiasm - Incorrect. A chiasm is a repetition of similar ideas in a repeating A-B-C C-B-A pattern. E.g.

A As I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will never leave you nor forsake you (5b)
    B Be strong and courageous … be strong and very courageous (6,7a)
    C Be careful to obey all the law … that you may be successful (7b)
    D Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth (8a)
    D′ Mediate on it day and night (8b)
    C′ Be careful to do everything written in it … you may be prosperous and successful (8c)
    B′ Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged (9a)
    A′ for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (9b)
    (Joshua 1:5b-9)
    Often missed they are actually very significant and contribute heavily towards a proper understanding of the flow and major points of Scripture.

Parable - Correct.
    Type - Incorrect. Use of a 'type' is a literary foreshadowing where one person or thing serves as a metaphorical prefigure (type) of another that is to come later. In the Bible, this is a person or thing (as is found in the Old Testament) prefiguring another person or thing (as is found in the New Testament).
    Accomodative Language - Incorrect. This is where simplified language or concepts are used to carry a point where specific scientific knowledge or understanding may be lacking in the hearers. E.g.
    Re 20:8 "and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth--Gog and Magog--to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore." Or Matt. 13:31-32 "The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.”

Prolepsis - Incorrect. It literally means 'anticipation'. It's like foreshadowing in movies. There are various ways it can be used from the mentioning of small details that might appear irrelevant at first but become important later, through to the stating of things in the present tense which don't actually occur until later. It's a varied literary device used in connecting the present with the future.

1/6 - Incorrect.

Thanks

8. There are five major covenants mentioned in the Old Testament which are all referenced throughout the Scriptures. What are they?
    Almost. Incorrect. You got four. Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic, Messianic (New Covenant), but missed the earliest, Noahic (Gen. 9). These are the five major covenants referenced throughout Scripture which are also a good review for understanding redemptive history. Some will include a sixth, which I would also have accepted, the Adamic covenant.

Thanks

9. Stephen Langton and Robert Estienne, in the 13th and 16th centuries respectively, made what adaptation to the Bible?
    Incorrect.
    Stephen Langton - Archbishop of Canterbury in the early 1200's. Credited with dividing the Bible into the chapters we now have.
    Robert Estienne - A French printer in the 1500's who printed the Bible divided into verses.

Thanks

10. For the nation of Israel, in the Old Testament, generally speaking there are three main forms of worship required by God - what were they? (2/3 needed)
    Correct. Sacrifices, Feasts/Festivals, Obedience. Nice job!

Thanks

11. Within chapters 42-53 of Isaiah there are four specific poems which are also collectively known as what (some people count a fifth in Isaiah 61)?
    Urgh. You know what they are but the question concerned the collective name of the poems. They are about the suffering servant, but they are known as the Servant Songs (of Isaiah).

Technically, Incorrect.

Thanks

12. Name the books by the quote (6/10 please):
    A - "In those days there was no king is Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes." JUDGES Correct.
    B - "Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you." RUTH (to Naomi) Correct.
    C - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:16 Correct.
    D - "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." PSALMS (Psalm 51 I think after David has sinned with Bathsheeba) Correct.
    E - "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing." 1 CORINTHIANS Correct.
    F - "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor, and the day of vengeance of our God."

I was going to say Christ in the gospels, but he stops short of the day of vengeance for that is still to come, so this makes it ISAIAH I think. Correct. Well caught!
    G - "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead." JAMES Correct.
    H - “With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with a thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?" He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" Arghh I so know this, I'm too rusty on the minor prophets - so a punt - AMOS. Incorrect. Micah.
    I - "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." JOHN (gospel of ) Correct.
    J - "“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might." DEUTERONOMY
    Correct.

9/10 Correct. Nice one!

Thanks

Will finish later. Have to head out to a b'day party.

Thanks

13. The four Gospels were written to different audiences and with different focuses/purposes in mind, name the gospels (all four required) and for each one at least one of either, their intended audience, or, their specific focus/purpose. (Thus, a possible 8 correct answers with at least 4 needed).
    Matthew - to a predominantly Jewish audience... how Jesus was truly Messianic...and the real heart of the Jewish law.
    2/2 Correct.

Mark - unpacking how Jesus was truly God...
    1/2 Correct. Written to gentiles, very likely Roman Christians due to Roman time system referenced, latin terms, and other details. Also, more specifically on the theme, putting Jesus before the readers/hearers to force a decision on who they thought Jesus was - the Son of God.

Luke - to a non Jewish audience, originally written to Theophilus, (so probably Greek) and written "so that you may have certainty of that which you have been taught"...
    Correct. 2/2

John - primarily concerned with Jesus authority and teaching in regards to his divinity and the oneness of God. Anti-gnostic.
    Correct. 1/2 Although there are elements within John's Gospel which seem evangelistic and server that purpose well, the anti-gnostic focus in addition to other internal elements suggest that this was a Gospel written largely to a Christian audience.

6/8. Correct.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information