Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The Iraqi Nightmare

Thanks

The Iraqi Nightmare

Level 3 Emergency declared by UN

1.2 million internally displaced
    Genocidal attacks on Yazidis - many apparently murdered, raped, many more fleeing and many of those dying of thirst/exposure, including children. Humanitarian help being begged. Other minorities have already fled/are fleeing.
    Elimination/exile of Christians - Mohammed-era tax being levied as in Syria, Christian homes and businesses being marked, 'Convert, leave or die'. Reports of beheadings, crucifixions, and even worse. Mosul is without Christians for the first time in two-thousand years.

The USA, via air-strikes and action by Special Forces are reporting they have broken the siege on Mount Sinjar where many Yazidis had fled.
    The UK have apparently sent in the SAS in order to scout before an evacuation attempt.

The plain goal of ISIS (now IS, apparently) is the formation of a hard-line Islamic State, essentially a new Islamic nation-state under Sharia law.

A former Australian army officer warned about a 100-year war against radical Islam - "Former Army chief Peter Leahy warned last weekend that the war against Islamic terrorism could last 100 years. And on Monday he said any doubts he might have had were removed by the image of the seven-year-old Australian holding up the severed head: “That child could live to be 70, and that is most of the rest of this century.”"
    Last edited by Galant; 14-08-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Re: The Iraqi Nightmare

Religion. A force for good.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Generalisation. A way to enlightenment.

Thanks

Might I request that we focus on this specific situation rather than religion in general, please?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    Might I request that we focus on this specific situation rather than religion in general, please?
    Other minorities have already fled/are fleeing.
    Elimination/exile of Christians - Mohammed-era tax being levied as in Syria, Christian homes and businesses being marked, 'Convert, leave or die'. Reports of beheadings, crucifixions, and even worse. Mosul is without Christians for the first time in two-thousand years.

The plain goal of ISIS (now IS, apparently) is the formation of a hard-line Islamic State, essentially a new Islamic nation-state under Shia law.

A former Australian army officer warned about a 100-year war against radical Islam - [URL="http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/the-rise-and-rise-ofnbspradical-islam/story-e6frg6z6-1227023581640"]"Former Army chief Peter Leahy warned last weekend that the war against Islamic terrorism could last 100 years.
    Why? Elephant in the room. If i mention one particular relgiion I'll get in trouble for being .....phobic.

Thanks

Why? Elephant in the room. If i mention one particular relgiion I'll get in trouble for being .....phobic.
    Not as far as I'm concerned. Addressing the specific causes/nature/solutions for this problem would be entirely on topic and necessary - what good would it do to discuss things only in the most general terms? Point and counter-point can be productive, but massive generalisations generally aren't.

Snr Mbr I ain't that old
    Thanks
    • aramil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570k delided CLU XSPC-Raystorm
      • Memory:
      • corsair vengeance 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 evo 250 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 980 Super Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • corsair tx750 v2
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS800
      • Operating System:
      • MS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • 75-down 17-up

Addressing the specific causes/nature/solutions for this problem would be entirely on topic and necessary
    We (the west) will not go in with any sort of final plan, that would solve and put an actual end to this. And as the surrounding states seem to want to let this play out, what choice is there?

Remove everyone who wants to leave and then leave them to it. Hoping they will at some point want to come to the table of nations, and not try to kill us all. (if they don't all kill themselves in the process) *a lot of people will die.

Or

Kill every single ISIS member and anyone who would join/strongly sympathise(and would do something about it) with them wherever they are. (as you would not want to just move the problem elsewhere) * a lot of people will die.

There is a lot of "we must do something" but not a lot of actual substance / solutions.

In the end we are either at war or not and should treat it as such (as we used to),meaning you have to accept people will die In a war. There is no cosy middle ground.

Or everyone in that area sits down, and it is talked out to an acceptable resolution for all......

Really don't think there will be a solution any time soon.
    Intel i7 8700K delidded | Asus TUF Z370 Gaming Plus | Palit GTX980 SuperJetStream 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 240Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 1Tb & 2Tb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 32Gb Corsair Vengence | Saitek Cyborg EVO F.S. | Zalman MS800 | Corsair K90 | AOC 27" 2560x1440 |AOC 24" HD | HTC Vive
    “This post was written using 100% recycled words.”

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Not as far as I'm concerned. Addressing the specific causes/nature/solutions for this problem would be entirely on topic and necessary - what good would it do to discuss things only in the most general terms? Point and counter-point can be productive, but massive generalisations generally aren't.
    What do you think the underlying reasons are?

Myself I think it's their identity, which is part of the religious make up, which also really helpfully, people often get their morals from.

I'd say that this would not be happening in this shape or form were it not for the religious drivers behind it.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I'd say that this would not be happening in this shape or form were it not for the religious drivers behind it.
    But instead just in another form like militia or sectarianism, tribalism or so on.

As for solutions, it's the usual - education & reduction of poverty, disease etc.

Thanks

[
    The plain goal of ISIS (now IS, apparently) is the formation of a hard-line Islamic State, essentially a new Islamic nation-state under Shia law.

I think that's an unfortunate typo, an easy mistake to make though. Extreme hard line Sharia law is the aim. As they hate the shia's and being Shia Muslim / Christian or other sect in northern Iraq is akin to being Jewish in Nazi Germany right now.

ISIS is funded predominantly by European and Saudi Sunni Muslims that are part of, or sympathetic to the Saudi Wahhabi movement.

It's not a Phobia when they are beheading pretty much everyone they find, not just opponents, but women, children, the elderly. I have seen some truly horrific videos. I won't post links as I don't want anyone to witness them. A Phobia is an irrational fear, someone scared of tigers would not be called Ailurophobic in my opinion.

I'm not scared of Muslims, but I am of Jihaddists, the problem is I can't tell the difference until I get to know that person.

The Shia Islam of Iran looks very modern and progressive in comparison to this religious nihilism that is Wahhabism. Remember that 95% of the Muslims in Britain are Sunni too, and some of them support ISIS, so tend to have blinkers on when seeing the vision of the middle east. General feeling amongst Sunnis is that they are happy for the west to take out Assad, yet not happy for them to fight the Taliban.

To generalize would be to say..."Muslims of the UK oppose western intervention while Sunnis are running the show." Yet it does seem that black and white to me. There are a lot of ISIS supporters in the UK imho, and it's all about being Sunni.

Some interesting reads...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...y-9602312.html

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/view...Hezbollah.html

Yahoo top answer. "shia's are not Muslims" this is what worries me.
    https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...5165948AA4XKpm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j1979
    I think that's an unfortunate typo
    Good catch. Thanks. Corrected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    What do you think the underlying reasons are?

Myself I think it's their identity, which is part of the religious make up, which also really helpfully, people often get their morals from.

Putting it too simply, specific middle-eastern cultural background/tribalism and specific Islamic belief. (As opposed to the general notion of being religious).

I'd agree that this specific issues wouldn't exist except for the specific religious drivers behind it. If you're trying to say that being religious always leads to this sort of nightmare then I'd say you're wrong. However, as I said, I don't want to get sidetracked onto the 'religion in general is bad' debate. You're free to believe that but I see that as a separate issue and would rather focus my energies on this specific situation.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

If you're fair, they're only following what their book tells them, which is kill or convert the unbeliever. Much the same as the Bible, Torah, etc.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    If you're fair, they're only following what their book tells them, which is kill or convert the unbeliever. Much the same as the Bible, Torah, etc.
    It's not what the book is telling them, or we'd have all Muslims killing people, and according to you, all Christians and Jews doing the same. So somewhere in the line there is a disagreement in what you think the books say, and what the people who actually study/read the books think they say, suggesting that we're the ones in need of education as much as the extremists.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    I didn't say they weren't - although some would dispute that.
    I don't think that's only what they're doing. I think there's more tied up in it, but it's certainly a big part of it.

The question is how do we deal with this? What should the world do in the face of something which seeks not only to eliminate these various people in their region but which desires to continue such a march onward?

What about the refugees? There are calls for the UK to provide asylum for displaced Christians and others fleeing for their lives.

What 'started' in Syria (not really, but you know) has now moved into Iraq.

How involved should the world be in stopping this - and how?

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    It's not what the book is telling them, or we'd have all Muslims killing people, and according to you, all Christians and Jews doing the same. So somewhere in the line there is a disagreement in what you think the books say, and what the people who actually study/read the books think they say, suggesting that we're the ones in need of education as much as the extremists.
    Deutoronomy 17 would appear to disagree. And Surah 9:5 in the Quran

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread Information