Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch dilemma - given a watch I like but don't love - should I return it?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Watch dilemma - given a watch I like but don't love - should I return it?

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    a white lie is something I've personally never understood. ...
    Wife - Question: "Does my backside look big in this?"

Husband - Answer: "No, but I don't think the colour does your hair colour justice."

Understand now?

Okay, I'm being a bit facetious.

Years ago, I had a conversation about a close relative, with his cancer consultant. I asked "As far as you can tell .... how long?" His answer was to show me x-rays, explain what they showed, and predict "A month, maybe .... very likely .... less". His exact words, in very late June, were "He won't see August".

The reason for asking was that his son lived about 3000 miles away, and might need to, erm, make a dash back here.

But when the subject of that estimate asked me what that consultant had said, I fudged it, with "It's very hard to tell, and any guess could be a long way out". Which was true. He had said that .... but he'd also said "won't see August".

Well, in reality, he saw August. For five successive years.

Telling him no real estimate had been given was, IMHO, a white lie. Firstly, it wasn't my place to tell him. Secondly, there were clear caveats. Third, as it turned out, it was way, WAY out, anyway.

2. Received thanks from:

Millennium (21-12-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    One thing I'm confident you will agree with is that we can each put opposing points of view, but only he can decide which, if either, to go with.
    Absolutely. When I first posted the thread was a tide of suggestions for alternative watches; I just wanted to be sure TimRead had really thought about the watch he already has.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post
    Absolutely. When I first posted the thread was a tide of suggestions for alternative watches; I just wanted to be sure TimRead had really thought about the watch he already has.
    And, in turn, absolutely.

That it was mum's choice is a factor. That it's not a design he 'loves' is, too. So it all comes down to whether his mum really meant it when she said 'change model if you wish', or whether she would secretly be disappointed.

In her shoes, I wouldn't be because choosing what someone else really likes is hard enough when you've been married to them for 25 years .... and, ummm. fraught with peril.

I'd rather my kid had what he really wanted than be polite about my taste, or my guess at his taste. But tim's mum might not be. Only he can know .... well, judge.

5. Received thanks from:

santa claus (22-12-2014)

Thanks

I'm sure he will judge wisely because that watch has...

my most treasured possession
    ...written all over it. Merry Christmas Saracen

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX
      • Storage:
      • 1x WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD, , 1x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 2x WD 1TB HDD in RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750W Gold Gen2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 2590 G4, Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia

Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions. I have decided to keep the watch!

Its looks have grown on me, and even though my Mum would have been happy for me to change it, the fact that I could not replace it with something as special or as well-made without spending another £200 (on something like the Tissot Visodate in Rose Gold) means it will be special to me for many reasons, and I will be proud to wear it on special occasions for many years to come.

I can pick up something for everyday wear for myself in the sales and spend a more sensible amount on a quartz watch I won't mind taking a few knocks.

8. Received thanks from:

peterb (22-12-2014),santa claus (22-12-2014)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I think you will find its value (to you) will grow as the years pass. Leaving aside the official limited edition status, it is now a unique timepiece - because your Mum chose and gave it to you!

Thank you for letting us know (and starting an interesting thread!)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

10. Received thanks from:

santa claus (22-12-2014)

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
    a white lie is something I've personally never understood. ...
    Wife - Question: "Does my backside look big in this?"

Husband - Answer: "No, but I don't think the colour does your hair colour justice."

Understand now?

Okay, I'm being a bit facetious.

Years ago, I had a conversation about a close relative, with his cancer consultant. I asked "As far as you can tell .... how long?" His answer was to show me x-rays, explain what they showed, and predict "A month, maybe .... very likely .... less". His exact words, in very late June, were "He won't see August".

The reason for asking was that his son lived about 3000 miles away, and might need to, erm, make a dash back here.

But when the subject of that estimate asked me what that consultant had said, I fudged it, with "It's very hard to tell, and any guess could be a long way out". Which was true. He had said that .... but he'd also said "won't see August".

Well, in reality, he saw August. For five successive years.

Telling him no real estimate had been given was, IMHO, a white lie. Firstly, it wasn't my place to tell him. Secondly, there were clear caveats. Third, as it turned out, it was way, WAY out, anyway.
    Not only is that one of the best posts I've ever read, it's also changed my life|world and educated moi and clearly a strong reason to name this forum this website' s name

so thanks and thanks for all the time.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Registered+
    Thanks

Well done for keeping it and it growing on you. You can always wear it for a few years and then get something else as well many people of the world have many watches, called collectors and you can call yourself that.

But also after a few years the watch will become sentimental purchased from your mum and you might not want to damage it wearing it every day.

I'm a little in your situation got a watch I love from my now wife as my engagement present (she got the ring) and now I wear it every day but just put a big scratch on the glass and don't want to think of the cost to replace

Registered+
    Thanks

Stick it on eBay........

Registered+
    Thanks

I would have taken it back and bought the Moto 360 watch. When you get bored with the face you just download a new one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information