View Poll Results: Who should be included in leader debates?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No TV debates at all

15 53.57%
  • Conservative

13 46.43%
  • Labour

12 42.86%
  • LibDem

11 39.29%
  • UKIP

11 39.29%
  • Greens

8 28.57%
  • SNP

4 14.29%
  • Plaid

3 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who SHOULD take part in leader's debates?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Who SHOULD take part in leader's debates?

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    It occurs to me, mainly because I recall some whiny woman on TV last time, that the requirements for being involved in any combined debate should be related to the share of the votes cast in the last election.

The share doesnt represent current MPs, nor does it directly represent big parties, just those that people want to vote for.

The actual methodology used is more nuanced than that. It considers all available evidence, including but far from limited to Parliamentary presence. Numbers of MPs is a factor, but there's much more than that. It also includes previous electoral performance, including an analysis of share of vote alongside seats won .... and
    current opinion polling data.

And, it relates to the type, and geographical nature, of the election. The SNP meet (obviously) the criteria in Scotland, but not in England and Wales, or the UK. Plaid meet the criteria in Wales, but not elections for the rest of the UK.

The initial, and I stress 'initial' as it's not yet final, determination for the next UK General election is that the list of "major"parties remains as before, except that UKIP now qualify, based on two recent by-election wins, current polling, the overall 1st place at the last national election (the Euro) and previous local elections. The Greens, currently, don't qualify.

And broasting rules are complex but MUST give broadly balanxed coverage to "major" parties, and must "consider" non-major parties, in context, where they have a relevant policy or platform. As I understand it, including the Greens, at least in some leader debates, isn't ruled out, but including them might lead to legal challenges, on the broadcasters, from others, say the SNP, if they aren't also included, on the basis of whether doing so is fair and "broadly balanced".

And including the Greens and SNP may then lead to challenges on broadcasters from yet more, like Plaid, the DUP, etc.

Ultimately, OfCom determine what is or isn't a "major party" but broadcasters have to determine, within legally defined rules, what level of coverage does or doesn't comply with the law. A LOT of that is, therefore, editorial discretion, but subject to legal challenges for non-compliance.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    We could do hunger games/the testing/divergent I guess. Perhaps instead of fighting they could be made to solve puzzles like how to convince a tabloid reading population that immigration isn't the great evil etc.
    Do you think we could do "Politician Crystal Maze"? With Richard O'Brien, of course. And they all end up locked in.

OilSheikh

Lib Dems ... who are they again ?
    Next election will be won by Conservatives and UKIP. I would rather have them two showing off each other's power.
    Labour - no one wants to vote for them after what they did to our country. They thought only 13,000 East Europeans would come every year. Now, 200,000 come! And, how they made us bankrupt. Milliband also seems so weak.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Labour - no one wants to vote for them after what they did to our country. They thought only 13,000 East Europeans would come every year. Now, 200,000 come! And, how they made us bankrupt. Milliband also seems so weak.
    Youd think, wouldnt you. But for the same reason people voted Yes in Scotland, people will vote Labour without remembering how we got up to our necks in the first place.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Traditionally, some peoole vote Labour almost out of habit. Perhaps because they couldn't conceive of voting Tory, and there was no other credible alternative for actually forming a government. Well, not under FPTP, anyway.

And some vote Tory, for a mirror image of the same logic.

A third group bleed off to "minor" parties, including the LDs, and all sorts of other groups.

And then there was the floaters, which was typically what determuned who won elections.

But, things have changed. Increasing numbers have moved away from those "safe" traditional votes for the big two, either out of sheer disenchantment, or because the convergence of the parties has meant there's much less, idealogically, to differentiate them, or even because a single issue, be it the EU, Scottish nationalism or the Green agenda. And I rather think the breakdown of large chunks of that 'traditional' vote is now permanently non-traditional, and will pick with more discrimination on party platforms .... and hopefully on policy grounds, not personality.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    Lib Dems ... who are they again ?
    Next election will be won by Conservatives and UKIP. I would rather have them two showing off each other's power.
    Keeping politics out of it, as per the original post...

I went through a few changes. 1st, only the 'main 3' parties, then hmm, UKIP are building a power base, regardless of what I think of their policies, then, well they've got 2 MPs, the greens only have 1, they should be in. Then I thought about whether I'd watch it, regardless of who is in. The answer is no. I'm feeling complete apathy towards all politics of all colours at the moment. So I'd rather watch something entertaining.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

for me its NO TV DEBATE AT ALL

it bears no relationship to what occurs before or afterwards... to be cornered by a great speaker and then have him/her win and then the economy collapse and all promises fall foul of a money drought helps not one jot. To get lucky on a good sentence.. and to look like you've won.. doesn't actually run the country.

Does Vince Cable know how to add up? Damn right? Was it right for him to be secretly taped in his surgery talking like a tit? Nope.. the man can still add up. Shall we get him up on another round of financial debates? nope.. let him add up.

lets be fair.. it's TV for TV's sake.. it's just entertainment and I for one fancy the idea of politicians doing their job and not being on telly arguing over who got the best training.

Would I have wanted Churchill stood up there for an hour in the middle of the BoB? Would I hell.
    Would he have done any good? Probabnly would have alienated more people, while drinking, than done any good.

Let politics occur... and let boxing matches occur.. and let them not be the same

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

We have roughly 47 million registered voters in the UK and of course any TV thing like this will have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Easy to say they should stand by their principles in the debate. Trouble is, not winning means the opposition get in.

Not that it matters much - nowadays they're mostly just talking heads implementing laws made in Europe.

Thanks

None of them... our political system is different to the American system:

Over here we should only be concerned with our local MP and what he/she can do for us... the leader doesn't matter (or shouldn't matter)

I hate this Americanisation of our political system.

They are all just celebrities anyhow these days with nothing to say but soundbites.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

So by the above approach, perhaps basically we should be having local debates, consisting of the candidates up for election in our own constituencies.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    So by the above approach, perhaps basically we should be having local debates, consisting of the candidates up for election in our own constituencies.
    god no... that's worse

read what they want to do... vote... dont let them stand on soap boxes and rant in the market square!

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

As the political spectrum becomes more fragmented and the polls persistently point to a hung parliament of some sort, the chances of one or more of the smaller parties doing a deal with one of the two main parties to support them rises. Consequently, it's really quite likely that UKIP or the Greens or the UDP or Plaid or the SNP, or any mix of them, may be in a position to negotiate the price for their support. To my mind that makes the need to expose all parties to equal scrutiny so much more important. I'd certainly want to see Sturgeon saying what she'd want Labour to give her for SNP support, Farage saying what he'd like in exchange from the Tories etc. The leader debates would be a good way to do that, but yes, as long as they were strongly and fairly chaired.

The leadership debates, whilst being potentially stage managed and 'presidential', will still engage many people who wouldn't otherwise want to look up from Strictly, BGT, Facebook etc. That can only be a good thing.

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRoy View Post
    As the political spectrum becomes more fragmented and the polls persistently point to a hung parliament of some sort, the chances of one or more of the smaller parties doing a deal with one of the two main parties to support them rises. Consequently, it's really quite likely that UKIP or the Greens or the UDP or Plaid or the SNP, or any mix of them, may be in a position to negotiate the price for their support. To my mind that makes the need to expose all parties to equal scrutiny so much more important. I'd certainly want to see Sturgeon saying what she'd want Labour to give her for SNP support, Farage saying what he'd like in exchange from the Tories etc. The leader debates would be a good way to do that, but yes, as long as they were strongly and fairly chaired.

The leadership debates, whilst being potentially stage managed and 'presidential', will still engage many people who wouldn't otherwise want to look up from Strictly, BGT, Facebook etc. That can only be a good thing.
    For any party to be the lesser party in part of a deal. They would still need a good number of seats. Which would mean that the Lib Dems and UKIP are the only people nessesary to take part.
    What are the chances of the Greens getting more than 1 seat? The only thing you need to know from them is what are they going to do in Brighton apart from not pay for the bins.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    For any party to be the lesser party in part of a deal. They would still need a good number of seats. Which would mean that the Lib Dems and UKIP are the only people nessesary to take part.
    What are the chances of the Greens getting more than 1 seat? The only thing you need to know from them is what are they going to do in Brighton apart from not pay for the bins.
    Erm, no, not necessarily. If current polling is to be believed, the SNP could be about to relieve Labour of 30-ish seats in Scotland. We may well end up in the position where IF the SNP back Labour, that combination may have a government-forming majority, whereas without it, the Tories (oerhaps with UKIP, DUP or both) may form the next government.

No doubt, the SNP will demand a quid-pro-quo for that support, should the numbers work out that way. But then, Labour have the nuclear option of pointing out to the SNP that if they're too greedy in their demands, instead of getting some of what they want, they may end up with Cameron/Farage as PM and Deputy, which no doubt will make Sturgeon misty-eyed over the 'good old days' of Cam/Clegg.

There are any number of ways any number of small(-ish) parties may have sway way in excess of their national mandate, and so, their party's platform could be relevant.

Oh, it's worth noting too that under OfCom's methodology, after the next election, if current polling is correct, the 'Big 3' might just the Tory, Labour and UKIP. The LDs may not qualify.

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Oh, it's worth noting too that under OfCom's methodology, after the next election, if current polling is correct, the 'Big 3' might just the Tory, Labour and UKIP. The LDs may not qualify.
    And as the BBC Trust has said today - they will treat UKIP as one of the four main parties...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information