Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Re: Are you a Humanist?

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    So did my wife's.

Whereas we went to a Catholic wedding at around the same time, which thought it necessary to include how anyone who died without converting to Catholicism was going to hell. She nearly walked out crying.
    Sad to hear that for the people involved, but I always find it a bit off expecting people with religious views to conveniently dilute them to suit fashion or circumstance. You end up with humanism or New Labour.

Thanks
    • narz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD, 3TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 770 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 230T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 1080p + Dell 1600/1200
      • Internet:
      • 70MB/20Mb Fibre

Humanist is a label that has a more positive spin for the atheists to subscribe to. To quote the BBC:

While atheism is merely the absence of belief, humanism is a positive attitude to the world, centred on human experience, thought, and hopes.
    Religious folks are certainly not humanist, but most atheists probably are.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Sad to hear that for the people involved, but I always find it a bit off expecting people with religious views to conveniently dilute them to suit fashion or circumstance. You end up with humanism or New Labour.
    Is being a dick to people a core part of the religious experience?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narz View Post
    Humanist is a label that has a more positive spin for the atheists to subscribe to. To quote the BBC:

Religious folks are certainly not humanist, but most atheists probably are.
    On the contrary, it is quite possible for 'religious people' to embrace humanist values - it is the reverse that is unlikely to be true.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Is the Pope Catholic?

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

It was originally "be a dick towards everyone not of your religion", but they dropped the religious requirements.

Thanks
    • narz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD, 3TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 770 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 230T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 1080p + Dell 1600/1200
      • Internet:
      • 70MB/20Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    On the contrary, it is quite possible for 'religious people' to embrace humanist values - it is the reverse that is unlikely to be true.
    If the following is true,

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Humanists believe that human experience and rational thinking provide the only source of both knowledge and a moral code to live by
    Then "religious people" are excluded, as their source of moral code is mostly from scripture. If religious scripture and humanists share some common values. That's all it is, doesn't make you one or the other.

Rejection or acceptance of a creator is more of a critical factor here and hence I align them with Atheists.

Lurking since 06
    Thanks
    • Mama Sumae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B - deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core2 duo 6300 O'c @ 3.1 Mhz / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB XMS2 6400 C4 @ 890Mhz
      • Storage:
      • WD 320 GB /sata
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti oc - 1GB GDDR5
      • PSU:
      • Enermax NoisetakerII 485W
      • Case:
      • AKASA ZEN Black 2x12cm fans
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL 21.5 inch
      • Internet:
      • Virginmedia 50MB (or so they told me...)

Quote Originally Posted by narz View Post
    Then "religious people" are excluded, as their source of moral code is mostly from scripture.
    Well Humanism, at least historically speaking, doesn't stop at critical and rational thinking, it also placed a rather high value on the importance of Mankind, collectively and down to the individual.

Not surprisingly most Religions also show a rather strong bias towards Humans (so lucky that a such variety of gods love us so), so both movements definitely converge here. When you go beyond the "I am the only true god, worship no other" fluff that justifies any brutality and punishment against humans, you are left with religions that much like Humanism naturally seek to celebrate and establish a moral code that benefits what it sees as important, in this case us.

In regards to the quiz, I don't rate humans particularly high and given the evidence presented on the subject I would even say any movement built around critical thinking supported on evidence might be opening a tiny exception when they see us as valuable or even relevant.

That said I still got around 80% on the quiz, but as Rob_B already mentioned its mostly due to how the questions were put. You wouldn't expect a Samsung quiz to tell you not to buy one of their tellies would you?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

So did my wife's.

Whereas we went to a Catholic wedding at around the same time, which thought it necessary to include how anyone who died without converting to Catholicism was going to hell. She nearly walked out crying.
    Didn't get an address for the Catholic Hell by any chance? I'd like to make an advance booking, just in case it's full when I get there.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

I'm definitely not a humanist, as I believe in moral absolutism, that there is a definable source of moral behaviour which exists outside of our myriad of global societies. Closest I've been able to pin down, I'm a pantheist, someone who believes that God is the universe, which makes us all, a tiny, tiny part of it all.

I scored only 18% on the Humanist scale, and yet belong to no organised religion, and never have done.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks

I don't like the BBC's definition, as it is very exclusive.

Most religious people in western countries get their moral code from secular society rather than from their religion. Just the same as most religious people seek rational human solutions to problems. There are exceptions, like people who go to faith healers to cure their ailments, when a rational solution would be to visit a doctor. They represent a minority of the religious.

Large Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    I'm definitely not a humanist, as I believe in moral absolutism, that there is a definable source of moral behaviour which exists outside of our myriad of global societies. Closest I've been able to pin down, I'm a pantheist, someone who believes that God is the universe, which makes us all, a tiny, tiny part of it all.

I scored only 18% on the Humanist scale, and yet belong to no organised religion, and never have done.
    Have to say i'm fascinated by this idea and want to hear more! What makes you think this? I don't want to assume too much but I suppose therefore you try to live your life on the 'good' side of this definable source?
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Large Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Yea i'm all for discrediting silly sweeping generalisations by providing one of my own.

Large Member
    Thanks

This seems perfectly understandable to me. Whatever you may or may not think about the finer points of religion, it has and continues to serve I think some important purposes. A sense of identity, a sense of community, a sense you share values with others. I won't defend this claim, but will simply say these are important things to humans. An organization such as the one you link to goes a little of the way to addressing these things that are not normally paired with an atheistic (or even agnostic or secular) view of the world.

It goes a little further also and tries to provide answers to some questions that don't just fall out of the backside of naturalism. For example, given that we think there is no God, how should we treat each other?, or how should we treat animals?, or what is the future for our society? They seem to understand these questions are almost unanswerable in any empirical sense, but full credit to them for provoking their contemplation and attempting to reach a conclusion.

As a child, apart from a couple of occasions, I was never exposed to anything much in the way of religiosity, and since, whether by chance or some unknown guiding social pressure so small it might as well be chance, I don't associate with a great many religious people. My family, apart from the older (mostly deceased) members hold no particular religious views. Religion is never really a topic of debate amongst family, friends, collegues or business accquaintences, and, according to the latest UK census, I live in the most God-less part of the country. I'm quite content with the few religious people I have met where I live and further afield, I'm even happy to listen to radio 4 in the early morning and catch thought for the day, which is sometimes interesting, sometimes thought provoking, but most often banal. I agree that I also hear some horrid things from religious people but off the top of my head I can't recall anything anyone I personally knew has said that gave me pause.

For these reasons, personally, I have never felt any need to stake my values out in any organisation. I don't see myself doing so in the near future either. I could be persuaded perhaps if things started to divert from the above.

I would also say go for it if you think it's important.

Quote Originally Posted by snedger View Post
    I've been happy not aligning myself with any secular group, but lately, I've been feeling that it would better if I could be around like minded people.
    https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/how-humanist-are-you/

Thanks

It's the term "Humanist" that rankles me, rather than anything they may "believe", as it still hints at a degree of arrogance of superiority. Whilst we may indeed be unique, at least within our own galaxy, that doesn't make us special. In fact personally I'd say that it adds a great weight of responsibility that currently we are for the most part doing our best to shirk out of blinkered self interest.

That said it is about time we started to have the debate about such things as external moral absolutes vs. self determined ethics. Perhaps then people will begin to realise that the need for certainty is not proof of "higher influence", but more our fearful reaction to uncertainty. At our deepest emotional level we are still animals, driven and controlled by primal responses such as fight or flight. Somewhat amusingly the Bene Gesserit test for being "human" is not far off the mark, for fear is "the mind killer".

That's not to say that there isn't something more to the universe than, for want of a better word, the mundane. We just need to wake up to the fact that nothing is certain but uncertainty itself, and in doing so start to grow up as a species. Currently we're still acting like spoilt young teenagers, so have a long way to go before reaching what you might call civilised adulthood.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information