Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81516171819 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear on Hold - Clarkson suspended by beeb.

Thanks

Re: Top Gear on Hold - Clarkson suspended by beeb.

^ Spot on.

Sandwiches forsooth, there was soup but only hot meat is hot food it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    Clarkson can go sort himself out and will not be short of offers, and the BBC will be able to reboot a show that, although I don't watch it personally, those that I know that do say it needed anyway. Win/win.
    "Clarkson and Wilman met Top Gear presenters James May and Richard Hammond at Clarkson's west London flat yesterday, provoking speculation that the four men are planning to start up a new car show to rival Top Gear."

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/62887/jerem...#ixzz3YGjhGjiX

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

and the BBC will be able to reboot a show that, although I don't watch it personally, those that I know that do say it needed anyway. Win/win.
    I nearly agree with what you said, but i have to take a little issue with this.
    The show was past it's peak that's a given. But the show was still massive, getting very large viewing figures and selling to over 200 countries and making the BBC Millions every year. This is in no way 'win/win'
    The BBC have lost a real money spinner, nothing that they do to the show will see the viewing numbers and therfor the revenue return to the same level.
    I think 5th gear showed the apetite for a more traditional motoring show doesn't match that of the entertainment show with the 3 stooges that Top Gear was.
    The BBC is left with a big black hole in the finances and a show that was still comanding very large audiences gone.

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    I nearly agree with what you said, but i have to take a little issue with this.
    The show was past it's peak that's a given. But the show was still massive, getting very large viewing figures and selling to over 200 countries and making the BBC Millions every year. This is in no way 'win/win'
    The BBC have lost a real money spinner, nothing that they do to the show will see the viewing numbers and therfor the revenue return to the same level.
    I think 5th gear showed the apetite for a more traditional motoring show doesn't match that of the entertainment show with the 3 stooges that Top Gear was.
    The BBC is left with a big black hole in the finances and a show that was still comanding very large audiences gone.
    5th Gear didn't have anywhere near the budget, nor the reach that Top Gear on the BBC had, so it's a slightly unfair comparison, but without anyone knowing the presenters or format of the new Top Gear, it's impossible to say whether the BBC has lost. What we do know is that many fans of the show, including some on here, have said that it was becoming tired, and some have welcomed the change. There are umpteen examples, from the world of entertainment, sport, politics where the so called irreplaceable have been replaced, sometimes while they've been percieved to be at their best which clearly isn't the case here, and the team/show etc have still been successful. The notion that it is automatically going to be detrimental to the BBC in the long run is premature.

If anything, it should give a short term boost to both parties. Former fans of the show will want to see Clarksons new project, and many people, especially those who like cars but don't particularly like Clarkson & Co's brand of 'humour' will want to see the new Top Gear format, and I also think many of the old fans will want to see it too, if only to tell everyone how crap it is and start another 'bring back the Chipping Norton one' campaign.

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

5th Gear didn't have anywhere near the budget, nor the reach that Top Gear on the BBC had, so it's a slightly unfair comparison, but without anyone knowing the presenters or format of the new Top Gear, it's impossible to say whether the BBC has lost. What we do know is that many fans of the show, including some on here, have said that it was becoming tired, and some have welcomed the change. There are umpteen examples, from the world of entertainment, sport, politics where the so called irreplaceable have been replaced, sometimes while they've been percieved to be at their best which clearly isn't the case here, and the team/show etc have still been successful. The notion that it is automatically going to be detrimental to the BBC in the long run is premature.

If anything, it should give a short term boost to both parties. Former fans of the show will want to see Clarksons new project, and many people, especially those who like cars but don't particularly like Clarkson & Co's brand of 'humour' will want to see the new Top Gear format, and I also think many of the old fans will want to see it too, if only to tell everyone how crap it is and start another 'bring back the Chipping Norton one' campaign.
    'Some fans'?
    Given the responce 'by fans' after the show got cancelled. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the 'people' you spoke to were not a fair cross section of Top Gear fans.
    There's no way to know the 'long term' effects i'll grant you, but in the short term, the BBC is going to miss selling 2 or 3 series of Top Gear to over 200 countries. We are looking at a large financial loss for the BBC for at least 18 months. Mabee more, as i doubt all those countries that bought Top Gear will buy into the first series of 'new' Top Gear.
    I think 5th Gear is a fair comparison though, it's largly born out of 'origional' Top gear making largly the same show. As Top Gear they failed to gain a global audience that Clarksons Top Gear had on the same channel, so when they moved to channel 5 and did the same show and it still wasn't as popular, i don't think we can put that down to budget.
    Top Gears budget grew with the show becoming more popular, as 5th gears budget would have grown if that had ever became a big hit with Global audiences.

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    'Some fans'?
    Given the responce 'by fans' after the show got cancelled. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the 'people' you spoke to were not a fair cross section of Top Gear fans.
    There's no way to know the 'long term' effects i'll grant you, but in the short term, the BBC is going to miss selling 2 or 3 series of Top Gear to over 200 countries. We are looking at a large financial loss for the BBC for at least 18 months. Mabee more, as i doubt all those countries that bought Top Gear will buy into the first series of 'new' Top Gear.
    I think 5th Gear is a fair comparison though, it's largly born out of 'origional' Top gear making largly the same show. As Top Gear they failed to gain a global audience that Clarksons Top Gear had on the same channel, so when they moved to channel 5 and did the same show and it still wasn't as popular, i don't think we can put that down to budget.
    Top Gears budget grew with the show becoming more popular, as 5th gears budget would have grown if that had ever became a big hit with Global audiences.
    There are people on this forum that claim to be fans who said the same, and even people in the mainstream media writing to defend clarkson and say that he shouldn't be sacked also admitted that the show was past it's peak. Yes it is true that some people don't see it like that, and there will always be many different opinions in a cross section, but it also doesn't necessarily follow that the most vocal groups are the most representative either.

Aside from Top Gear actually being a relatively successful show before 5th gear (although no where near like it is now), the differences between channel 5 and BBC are stark. But nevertheless, you seem to be assuming that the BBC will revert to a 5th Gear type show for any new format, but we don't know that. They may reboot it and keep the entertainment side to it, it may, or may not be as successful, but no one has any way of knowing yet. They may attract viewers that were previously put off my Clarkson as, believe it or not, there are a great many who can't stand him.

And yes, the BBC will probably lose out short term, but short of giving staff who bring money in to the corporation carte blanche to act in any manner they like, a line has to be drawn somewhere, and they drew it, not unreasonably it many people's view. The BBC won't collapse without Clarkson, and Clarkson will move on 'entertaining' people elsewhere.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

There are people on this forum that claim to be fans who said the same, and even people in the mainstream media writing to defend clarkson and say that he shouldn't be sacked also admitted that the show was past it's peak. Yes it is true that some people don't see it like that, and there will always be many different opinions in a cross section, but it also doesn't necessarily follow that the most vocal groups are the most representative either.

Aside from Top Gear actually being a relatively successful show before 5th gear (although no where near like it is now), the differences between channel 5 and BBC are stark. But nevertheless, you seem to be assuming that the BBC will revert to a 5th Gear type show for any new format, but we don't know that. They may reboot it and keep the entertainment side to it, it may, or may not be as successful, but no one has any way of knowing yet. They may attract viewers that were previously put off my Clarkson as, believe it or not, there are a great many who can't stand him.

And yes, the BBC will probably lose out short term, but short of giving staff who bring money in to the corporation carte blanche to act in any manner they like, a line has to be drawn somewhere, and they drew it, not unreasonably it many people's view. The BBC won't collapse without Clarkson, and Clarkson will move on 'entertaining' people elsewhere.
    Even I can't really argue with that. Yes, I'm a Top Gear fan, historically at least, but in my opinion, it was getting, or had got .... a bit stale. I wouldn't put it stronger than that, for my own preference, though. Put it this way .... usually, Top Gear's broadcast and I either watch it live, or within 24 hours. But the last couple of years, it's gone off the boil. I've still got three of the now-abandoned series I've yet to watch. They're recorded, and I'll get around to it, but I'm not desperate, and if I never did see them, oh well. Because the format was getting tired.

As for 5th Gear, though, it's not for me. Last time I tried to watch it, I gave up after 10 minutes or so. It seems to be a bunch of gormless muppets screeching cars in "doughnuts" wearing inane grins and giggling. TG does a bit of tyre-smoking (much to the annoyance of some car manufacturers, to my personal knowledge) but it seems to be 5th Gear's party piece.

If/when the BBC come up with the 'new' TG, I'll give it a try, but they're going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get anywhere near the success of the Clarkson-era TG, stale though it was getting.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

I found the 5th gear presenters too annoying. and iirc they only started getting silly when top gear was going from strength to strength and doing stunts and the like. until then 5th gear was simply old top gear on another channel.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

5th Gear presenters really grate on me. But I do have respect for Tiff as a driver though. Some of the stuff he can pull off is amazing. He tries to come across cool and hip in his presenting format but it doesn't work for me. Don't get me started on VBH either.

This is the end of a TG era. Whatever happens with TG on the BBC, or even a new venture by Clarkson and chums, it won't be the same. So either way we will be getting something a little different. For now, I'll look at the repeats on AdvertTube

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm hoping if its not the BBC then we get Top Gear back on Netflicks . Although they will probably have to call it Tap Gear

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon101 View Post
    I'm hoping if its not the BBC then we get Top Gear back on Netflicks . Although they will probably have to call it Tap Gear
    If it's clarkson's call it would probably just be called "Powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Oh dear..

I actually Guy Martin, watched his docs on Isle of M TT, but as for the other 2. Wouldn't watch it :/

Bye Bye TG. Will sink fast.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Still unconfirmed.

Clearly they want Philip Glenister as the Claekson type replacement.

If that is the team, I'll watch a couple of episodes to see if the format changes to reflect the new team, but if that is the line up, I expect to be underwhelmed.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Of course, can't have all male line ups anymore on the beeb. Watching some Dave you tend to find the best QIs were all male, as were some of the old classics like They think it's all over, HIGNFY and Mock the Week. This insistence on having females on panel shows comes at a cost. Positive discrimination is as crap as negative IMO.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Oh dear. The body isn't even cold yet and look at this! Well, I'll watch it, more to witness then to enjoy but I'm prepared to be surprised.

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Jodie Kidd and Philip Glenister are already doing car shows, and tbh they are a perfect example of why they shouldn't. Jodie Kidd and Quentin Wilson have about as much personality and carisma on camera as a door stop. When they do their bit to camera it seems so unatural and awkward. It's like a bad first date.
    Philip Glenister is a little better, but he's clearly no natural presenter.
    Guy Martin is of that lot the only one i'd think has any on screen persona presenting, that's largly because he tends to do or say what he wants. (a little like Clarkson) I imagine as a presenter doing tests on the new Ford KA he'll be disinterested and that will show. It may also make him difficult to work with, as anyone whos seen his film on the TT race will know he can be.
    He's better off doing the types of shows he's done with things he has a real interest for.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81516171819 LastLast

Thread Information