Thread: Is anyone any good with google spreadsheets?

ZaO

Is anyone any good with google spreadsheets?

Hey guys. I'm trying to setup a google spreadsheet for me and a couple of other people to use, but I have no experience at all with this :/

Basically, I want it so that the top row (which is the title row) always stays how it is, and never moves anywhere.

I then want to be able to sort the first column (other than the top row of it, of course) by alphabetical order. And when it's sorted by alphabetical order, each row needs to move all of it's columns up/down together so that they stay together, if that makes sense?

I have no idea how to do this, and tutorials haven't shown me so far. Though I will keep watching them...

Thanks

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Re: Is anyone any good with google spreadsheets?

I thought that was how the sort function normally worked? I've got it set up like that in my sole Google sheets.

What do you mean by "always stays how it is and never moves anywhere"?

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I thought that was how the sort function normally worked? I've got it set up like that in my sole Google sheets.

It sounds like he is referring to the freeze pane function in Excel.

You can do that using the View menu and then select Freeze Rows or Freeze columns.

Sorting should be available through the Data menu.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    It sounds like he is referring to the freeze pane function in Excel.

You can do that using the View menu and then select Freeze Rows or Freeze columns.

Sorting should be available through the Data menu.
    Thanks guys. So I will try and freeze the top row. It sounds like it should work But the sorting thing doesn't work how I want. It just arranges every single row in alphabetical order. I only want to arrange the first column in alphabetical order. And when I do that, I need the rest of the row to move together with each thing that gets moved in the first column.

I have quite a few columns/rows in use, but I'll bring it down to two columns and rows just to simplify my explanation of what I would like to happen:

Let's say I type the letter B into the first row of the first column, then in the next column of the same row, I type some related info (these two things always need to stick together/be on the same row as eachother, even when one of them gets moved up or down, they need to move together). Then I type the letter A into the second row of the first column, then in the next column of the same row, I type some related info (again, these two things always need to stick together/be on the same row as eachother, even when one of them gets moved up or down, they need to move together). Now I need to arrange only the first row alphabetically, as I don't want the other rows to be arranged this way. So when I do this, the letter A in the first column should get pushed up to the top, with the letter B underneath it. When this happens, A needs to pull up the rest of it's row from the other columns up with it, and the same with B when it moves down. And I need that to always be the default way it works. Does that make sense? I need to know how to do that if you can tell me how..? Thanks

Edit: My bad. It did seem to do it from the data menu this time round. I froze the top row, then did Ctrl+A to select all, and chose arrange from the data menu. It seemed to know to arrange the first column alphabetically and move the relevant rows like I wanted. I guess that is a very common action, which must be why it does that by default. Dunno why it didn't work before. I'm sure it was me being stupid So it looks like I'm all set. I'll post back if I have any troubles. Thanks guys
    Last edited by ZaO; 11-03-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

I think you need to drag over the grid containing all of the required cells first, then go to data and select sort for the column you want to use for your main criteria and then select ascending or descending and it should then sort the entire table and not just the column.

oops, just spotted your edit, so you worked it out already, which is good news.

It might not have sorted correctly the first time as you didn't select the relevant cells or select all in your case, the selection identifies the scope for the sort action.

Thread Information