Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smartphone Impact on Sleep

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Smartphone Impact on Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    I'm going to try this and see if it makes a difference of some sort.
    I've rigged the lights in my flat now to my own hacked up version of this (as their implementation for controlling room lights was awful). I found it really useful when I was working some slightly odd hours during the winter, I'd find myself exhausted, drained, yet not sleeping well without two glasses of wine! By switching my alarm to a light, controlling my screens (I use two WFP3008, so fairly bright!) and my lights in my flat, I felt much more energised and started sleeping better quite quickly.

I think we are still simple creatures at the end of the day. Either that or I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I've rigged the lights in my flat now to my own hacked up version of this (as their implementation for controlling room lights was awful). I found it really useful when I was working some slightly odd hours during the winter, I'd find myself exhausted, drained, yet not sleeping well without two glasses of wine! By switching my alarm to a light, controlling my screens (I use two WFP3008, so fairly bright!) and my lights in my flat, I felt much more energised and started sleeping better quite quickly.

I think we are still simple creatures at the end of the day. Either that or I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder.
    Simple creatures in many ways. Diet and exercise, sleeping patterns, an inability to fly or breathe underwater - defining aspects of the human being that, try as we might, we can't just change. To that end, definitely worth changing habits to benefit from these rather than fight the tide of one's biology.

With regards the house lighting, I'd assume this is a matter of dimming the lights rather than changing the colour(s)?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    With regards the house lighting, I'd assume this is a matter of dimming the lights rather than changing the colour(s)?
    Nope, changing the colour temps! I've got a bunch of philips hue bulbs, that I've hacked some software together to control.

I'm considering spending almost £300 putting all the lights in my on suite over, this is because I'll have software so that if I get up to piss in the night, the lights will only turn on very dimly. I stayed in a hotel once that had rigged the lighting to a separate circuit if the main room light was off, such a nice simple idea, makes it easier not to wake your partner!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    .... makes it easier not to wake your partner!
    Hah. Not with mine, it don't. A gnat farts three counties away and she hears it. We could have saved a fortune on distant early warning stations if they'd just ask my wife. Or her mother. They could have just listened. Never mind lighting, unless I learn to move more quietly than the quietest Ninja the world's ever known, I'm wasting my time worrying about light levels or colour temp. And as for something as excessive as the paper rustling as you turn a page, forget it. It's one reason I bought a Kindle.

Thanks

You awake?

You awake?

I thought I heard a noise?

Are you faking been asleep?

Wake up?

<poke>

Are you awake?

This is how domestic violence happens.

6. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (10-04-2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information