• Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Right to buy......

So the Tories just announced that Right To Buy (which I didn't realise was still even a thing) is being extended to housing association tenants. What's the panel's view on this? Personally I think selling off social housing is a really bad idea because:

1) It removes a property from the pool which can't then be let to anyone else (or if it is, it will be let at private rates)
    2) The houses aren't being sold at market rates, and how can it be fair that someone can suddenly get a windfall when someone else who is fractionally better off and renting a private property doesn't

I understand that owning your own house is an aspiration for most people, but it's not a right.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Right to buy......

I have concerns.

I think reducing availability of social housing is not a good thing. There is a pledge to build new housing on a one-one basis, but so far this hasn't happened despite being also part of the existing right to buy, so I doubt it would happen for this extension either. What it would seem to do is give private access to (now valuable) housing areas while forcing social housing to move into undesirable areas, possibly at a loss to the association/council.

It's a very Tory thing to do - by enabling those in social housing to get on the ladder at a good rate they aim to lift them into the wealthy. But I think the bigger issue here is housing supply and NIMBYism - so far the Tories seem to be the only major party NOT to say they will address that.

DR
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    So the Tories just announced that Right To Buy (which I didn't realise was still even a thing) is being extended to housing association tenants. What's the panel's view on this? Personally I think selling off social housing is a really bad idea because:

1) It removes a property from the pool which can't then be let to anyone else (or if it is, it will be let at private rates)
    2) The houses aren't being sold at market rates, and how can it be fair that someone can suddenly get a windfall when someone else who is fractionally better off and renting a private property doesn't

I understand that owning your own house is an aspiration for most people, but it's not a right.
    I completely agree with you.

It's good to be bad pauldarkside's Avatar
    Thanks
    • pauldarkside's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K & Corsair Hydro H80i
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force GS 128GB, Crucial M500 480GB, WD Black 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional HX850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 780T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity @ 78Mbps

How can a government force a private company/charity to sell off its assets like this, let alone force them to sell at a loss?

The whole thing just strikes me as another opportunity to remove safety nets from those who desperately need them.
    My only concern is should I hide my true identity? A costume maybe?

0iD: Plus weeing in it every now & again does it good
    scaryjim: 10" is just a little large to hold comfortably in one hand, which makes it a lot harder to tap, swipe and generally interact with.

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

There isn't anything inherently wrong with a right to buy scheme, if the houses sold are replaced with new builds and the new houses are put back in to the social housing pool, but invariably that's not what happens. The new houses don't get built, many of the houses sold under RTB end up in the hands of rich landlords, and it just exacerbates the housing crisis, while allowing landlords to profit. According to one report I read, over a third of the stock sold under the right to buy scheme are now being renting by councils from private landlords for social housing.

It's easy to see why the policy was a vote winner though. My paternal Grandparents bought their Housing Association rented home under the original RTB for a large discount in the 80's (albeit that was a Housing Association that opted in itself to the scheme, but was able to avail of the discounts). They now have a place that is worth over a million pound in Wandsworth. Whats not to like? Except, when they die and the house is sold, that's one less property for the one of the tens of thousands on that Councils and HA's waiting lists.

Criticism, or support, of the RTB scheme (in practise, as opposed to in theory) often depends on whether one views the states responsibility as extending to being able to offer housing to those at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder. There is nothing wrong with arguing that it shouldn't extend to that, and the free market should be allowed to determine where people live, if they live anywhere at all, but it's disingenuous to paint that type of argument as one of concern for social mobility. That is a red herring. Real concern for social mobility wouldn't extend to anything that will almost certainly lead to increase the shortage of social housing.

On the legal side of things, I would be surprised if the Government can force what is effectively a private enterprise to sell their property at below market value.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

I don't really see how this will actually help in the long term.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    On the legal side of things, I would be surprised if the Government can force what is effectively a private enterprise to sell their property at below market value.
    Why do you think they are currently in the process of changing the compulsory purchase laws? (but these changes are actually needed too, if we are to build new garden cities etc.)

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    I don't really see how this will actually help in the long term.
    It'll help. But it's not designed to help you, or indeed help the people buying under RTB - it's designed to help landlords, a major Tory bloc.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

There isn't anything inherently wrong with a right to buy scheme
    Really? Why is it ever considered a good idea? Basically you're saying to someone if you live in an area in subsidised (by everyone else) housing for a long time, we'll let you buy the house at a massive discount (which no one else will get the chance to do). How is that fair?

if the houses sold are replaced with new builds and the new houses are put back in to the social housing pool, but invariably that's not what happens.
    But then even in an ideal world, the council/government ends up picking up the bill for the difference as the RTB properties aren't sold at market rate, they're sold at a massive discount.

Many of the houses sold under RTB end up in the hands of rich landlords, and it just exacerbates the housing crisis, while allowing landlords to profit.
    I don't understand how this happens. Surely it can only happen if a landlord buys it from whoever bought it as a RTB?

It's easy to see why the policy was a vote winner though. My paternal Grandparents bought their Housing Association rented home under the original RTB for a large discount in the 80's (albeit that was a Housing Association that opted in itself to the scheme, but was able to avail of the discounts). They now have a place that is worth over a million pound in Wandsworth. Whats not to like?
    When I graduated I lived in shared rented accommodation. Then I moved to single rented accommodation, then, eventually I bought my own place. Should I be entitled to buy the flats I rented at a discount because I rented them for a long time?

Fortunately I've never had need of social accommodation, but I just don't understand why anyone thinks it's reasonable to sell a house at a massive discount to someone who's rented it for a long time. It just stinks of a bribe to me.

Criticism, or support, of the RTB scheme (in practise, as opposed to in theory) often depends on whether one views the states responsibility as extending to being able to offer housing to those at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder.
    Not sure I agree here either. You either provide social housing or you don't. If you don't then that's a valid stand point. If you do, that is also a valid stand point. Neither gel with, oh you can rent it for a bit then we'll let you buy it off us at a massive discount.

What seems to have happened somewhere along the line is that long term tenants (and there's nothing inherently wrong with being a long term tenant) seem to have formed the opinion that the house is 'theirs'. In my opinion, it isn't and it shouldn't be.

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Why do you think they are currently in the process of changing the compulsory purchase laws? (but these changes are actually needed too, if we are to build new garden cities etc.)
    Yeah, I did think about that. My understanding is that currently when a CPO is made, the recompense is for the current value? Is this right? And if so, will the changes allow for under market prices being paid? Would be interesting to see how it would stand up with the EU, although if the Tories do form the next Government, perhaps with an agreement with UKIP, the EU may not be a consideration after any referendum.

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Really? Why is it ever considered a good idea? Basically you're saying to someone if you live in an area in subsidised (by everyone else) housing for a long time, we'll let you buy the house at a massive discount (which no one else will get the chance to do). How is that fair?

But then even in an ideal world, the council/government ends up picking up the bill for the difference as the RTB properties aren't sold at market rate, they're sold at a massive discount.

I don't understand how this happens. Surely it can only happen if a landlord buys it from whoever bought it as a RTB?

When I graduated I lived in shared rented accommodation. Then I moved to single rented accommodation, then, eventually I bought my own place. Should I be entitled to buy the flats I rented at a discount because I rented them for a long time?

Fortunately I've never had need of social accommodation, but I just don't understand why anyone thinks it's reasonable to sell a house at a massive discount to someone who's rented it for a long time. It just stinks of a bribe to me.

Not sure I agree here either. You either provide social housing or you don't. If you don't then that's a valid stand point. If you do, that is also a valid stand point. Neither gel with, oh you can rent it for a bit then we'll let you buy it off us at a massive discount.

What seems to have happened somewhere along the line is that long term tenants (and there's nothing inherently wrong with being a long term tenant) seem to have formed the opinion that the house is 'theirs'. In my opinion, it isn't and it shouldn't be.
    I never, ever, thought I'D be arguing for the virtues of a RTB scheme, and in practise they never work and for this reason I am vehemently against them, but there is nothing wrong, IMO, with the state helping council tenants to buy the home they live in. There is a wide body of research that suggests strong links between favourable social mobility and home ownership. The massive discounts that have been offered under RTB schemes are wrong, but there is no reason why, for example, a council couldn't offer a discount of a percentage of rent paid over the period of tenancy, to make it easier for people to purchase where they live. Reducing the discounts will of course mean that you reduce the amount of people able to take up the offer, but then I agree with whoever posted that buying a property is not a right. Also, it's worth keeping in mind that a well run RTB scheme, whereby you replace 1 sold unit with at least 1 new unit, means that you remove one person from the social housing list, and are able to house someone else that was previously on the waiting list. But to be clear, this isn't how it works in practise, and don't think a British Government of any hue can be trusted to implement it properly, so I would not support any RTB scheme. But the notion that it isn't fair, if it were to be done correctly, isn't really valid IMO, because it should ultimately benefit those who need social housing.

Under RTB schemes, there is a period after purchase whereby, if the property is sold within that time, the discount must be paid back. But there is nothing stopping someone selling after that period to someone else, and there was also nothing stopping anyone entering deferred sales. The end result is the same though, a social housing property is lost and, if it's not replaced by at least one unit, it means one less home for those most in need.

I think, if I read your posts correctly, the huge subsidies given to tenants is what you disagree with, and I would 100% agree with that, if that discount means that those units cannot be replaced with new units. But helping remove people living in social housing, whilst not reducing the overall amount of social housing in one explicit way that you both help with the shortage of homes, and help those in need of social housing.
    Last edited by opel80uk; 15-04-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: home they own should read home they live in

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

right to buy is a bit of an oddity IMO. A council tenant will have paid RENT to live somewhere, and had the benefits that rental brings - i.e. the landlord having to refurbish at least once every 10 years, and maintain the property to a sufficient standard. Private owners do not get these perks. Just because someone has paid their rent for x years does not somehow entitle them to buy (at a vast discount) their property. It's madness! If we're going to do this, how about a refund to the public coffers of all the costs paid out to keep their property going. Also, what property will be available to the next man who needs a council flat? I know this latest thing extends it to housing association, but this is a joke. How can they promise this? What company is going to want to take on council housing stock knowing they will have to give it away? Any maintenance budget will be (if they're practically minded) slashed as a result. Why is it all so short-termist in thinking. Modern politicians have a lot to answer for.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Yeah, I did think about that. My understanding is that currently when a CPO is made, the recompense is for the current value? Is this right? And if so, will the changes allow for under market prices being paid? Would be interesting to see how it would stand up with the EU, although if the Tories do form the next Government, perhaps with an agreement with UKIP, the EU may not be a consideration after any referendum.
    I've not looked into it in detail - I had the impression the changes are primarily to reduce the bureaucracy and details in working out the market prices and appeals thereof - but they could be to that effect yes.

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

I look at this a different way. What if a private renter had a "right to buy". So why should a council or housing association tenant benefit in what is quite literally a discriminatory process.

I wonder if any studies were concluded as to whether people who bought their homes in the previous scheme are still in them.

While all the time the council and housing association queues grow due to a shortage in homes for those that need them most. The whole system needs a massive overhaul and IMO this was not the way to do it.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by big_hairy_rob View Post
    I look at this a different way. What if a private renter had a "right to buy". So why should a council or housing association tenant benefit in what is quite literally a discriminatory process.

I wonder if any studies were concluded as to whether people who bought their homes in the previous scheme are still in them.

While all the time the council and housing association queues grow due to a shortage in homes for those that need them most. The whole system needs a massive overhaul and IMO this was not the way to do it.
    too right. So person A works, earns enough to not qualify for council housing. Has to rent privately, and after 10 years of employment finally scrapes enough together to mortgage themselves to the hilt... but person b does not very much, gets subsidised housing for popping sproggs when they can't afford to raise them properly, and then somehow gets "the right" to buy their property at a discount - and after receiving lots of free benefit in the form of maintenance etc from the council in the meantime. I am baffled how this stems from a Thatcher policy as it seems so far removed from Tory grassroots as you can get!

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    ... I am baffled how this stems from a Thatcher policy ...
    Key misunderstanding of the original point of Council Housing? it was originally intended to provide affordable housing for local workers and families, and was assigned based on community involvement and family, not on "need". It was the 70's Labour governments who introduced the concept of allocating council housing on a need basis.

Thatcher was all about aspiration, and home ownership is very much an aspirational thing, while council housing had become a social, welfare thing. So, a lot of the people who got the original right to buy had worked hard, were long-standing members of a local community, and had been persuaded that part of being aspirational and middle class was home ownership. By helping them buy their property Thatcher got people hooked on to the concept of home ownership being desirable, and cleared housing stock out of local authority control.

In the mean time, she also deregulated the private rental sector, which inflated the housing market as renting out privately owned properties could suddenly become very profitable for unscrupulous landlords. It was an amazing piece of economic manipulation; increase the desire for home ownership, allow a lot of your ageing, hard-working population on to the housing ladder, then stoke a huge inflation in the price of a now-desirable commodity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information