Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you change in the HEXUS forums?

DR
    Thanks

What would you change in the HEXUS forums?

So - we often tweak and tinker things - we'd love to hear your feedback - what would you change on the HEXUS forums, or even the HEXUS site?

Over the years we've tried different things, the good things stick around the bad things go away.... and we thought we'd ask you the HEXUS readers what you'd like to see over the next 12 months.

We may not do them all but certainly all suggestions (please keep them sensible) will be considered.

Thanks all!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: What would you change in the HEXUS forums?

I don't know if it's still the case, but a while back I got the impression reported posts were only flagged to moderators via email, rather than using the vBulletin mod CP. If so, using the mod CP to manage flagged posts instead makes it easier for a team of moderators to overlap on forums and makes multiple reports of the same post/thread etc. easy to handle. Likewise the IP viewer in the CP helps spot when people create multiple accounts to get around bans etc. - and you can expose the wonderful send to coventry option

I find the forums quite hard to use on small screen devices, but I wouldn't want to compromise the desktop experience to fix this since that vast majority of my use is desktop.

Site-wise, those ads are a real killer - to the point I avoid reading main site articles as much as possible - I don't want to avoid them, but it's just so much more pleasant to read an article on just about any other tech site. There's a wonderful manefesto called 'acceptable ads':
    https://acceptableads.org/en/

which would be great if Hexus signed up to (like reddit have) - even if not joining the official list, following the same mandate would be great.

Edit: It's probably important to note a couple of things I wouldn't change too - I really like the fact that Hexus forums are usable with a minimum of script usage - there are some sites I've stopped reading altogether because they're unusable without allowing all manner of opaque scripts to run. If you do go down the route of using scripts, please make sure they are transparently named so I can whitelist them easily

I like the sections, layout, and importantly, tech focus and friendliness of the site - I know it's resource heavy to keep a certain atmosphere when it would be easy to chase the mass worldwide ranty chauvinistic white/straight/male gamer audience, but there are already many other forums for that. Having a UK-focused polite forum/website is really appreciated (so please keep making sure your articles and so on apply to UK audiences).
    Last edited by kalniel; 14-05-2015 at 09:59 AM.

DR
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I don't know if it's still the case, but a while back I got the impression reported posts were only flagged to moderators via email, rather than using the vBulletin mod CP. If so, using the mod CP to manage flagged posts instead makes it easier for a team of moderators to overlap on forums and makes multiple reports of the same post/thread etc. easy to handle. Likewise the IP viewer in the CP helps spot when people create multiple accounts to get around bans etc. - and you can expose the wonderful send to coventry option

I find the forums quite hard to use on small screen devices, but I wouldn't want to compromise the desktop experience to fix this since that vast majority of my use is desktop.

Site-wise, those ads are a real killer - to the point I avoid reading main site articles as much as possible - I don't want to avoid them, but it's just so much more pleasant to read an article on just about any other tech site. There's a wonderful manefesto called 'acceptable ads':
    https://acceptableads.org/en/

which would be great if Hexus signed up to (like reddit have) - even if not joining the official list, following the same mandate would be great.

Edit: It's probably important to note a couple of things I wouldn't change too - I really like the fact that Hexus forums are usable with a minimum of script usage - there are some sites I've stopped reading altogether because they're unusable without allowing all manner of opaque scripts to run. If you do go down the route of using scripts, please make sure they are transparently named so I can whitelist them easily

I like the sections, layout, and importantly, tech focus and friendliness of the site - I know it's resource heavy to keep a certain atmosphere when it would be easy to chase the mass worldwide ranty chauvinistic white/straight/male gamer audience, but there are already many other forums for that. Having a UK-focused polite forum/website is really appreciated (so please keep making sure your articles and so on apply to UK audiences).

Are you talking about the Intelitxt style ads? We work really hard to make sure all adverts are focused and relevant.

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Introduce more forum themes?

I know this isn't a big thing, just a thought?

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Whilst I wouldn't go as far as locking of old threads, perhaps an extra confirmation step if you are posting to a thread that's older than 6 months/1 year. And maybe a post/time limiter on new joiners.

Basically I'm sure you've seen first thing in a morning when someone has posted on a dozen of more threads ranging from current to ancient with 1 liners. Save you lovely mods having to tidy-up or reduce a users post count so as not to reward such behaviour.

General layout/structure is good, seems to be the right amount of categories so they're mostly kept active.

Maybe the top Hexus logo should take you back to the Hexus main site rather than the forum home? Just a preference really and there's the home button below it.

6. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (14-05-2015)

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Introduce more forum themes?

I know this isn't a big thing, just a thought?
    I have to admit, I would like a dark version of the forum theme (and probably for the main site too) - even if it was as a Stylish theme (userstyles.org).

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    I have to admit, I would like a dark version of the forum theme (and probably for the main site too) - even if it was as a Stylish theme (userstyles.org).
    Ditto.

I'm abit of an awkward one when it comes to forums, if I don't like the layout of the forum I won't use it.

For me, I browse Reddit, Hexus and Amazon Forums alot and Hexus is probably my most favourite interms of it's UI. A dark forum would score some brownie points

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if it's still the case, but a while back I got the impression reported posts were only flagged to moderators via email, rather than using the vBulletin mod CP. If so, using the mod CP to manage flagged posts instead makes it easier for a team of moderators to overlap on forums and makes multiple reports of the same post/thread etc. easy to handle.

The moderators of a forum get an email for reported posts in that forum. It means we are flagged pretty much as soon as the report is made, and (depending on what we are doing) can respond according to the perceived urgency of the report.

The plus side is that we don't need to log in to check reports, the downside is that two moderators may act on the report independently (if it is seen as urgent) although we do have procedures to co-ordinate a longer term solution if needed.
    While not ideal, the system does work quite well.

A centralised system might work if an e mail alert was sent as well, although unless the subject and content was included (as now) it would require a log in to actually judge the importance.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Whilst I wouldn't go as far as locking of old threads, perhaps an extra confirmation step if you are posting to a thread that's older than 6 months/1 year. And maybe a post/time limiter on new joiners.

Basically I'm sure you've seen first thing in a morning when someone has posted on a dozen of more threads ranging from current to ancient with 1 liners. Save you lovely mods having to tidy-up or reduce a users post count so as not to reward such behaviour.
    ah yes, the post count pimpers. The subject of much discussion by the moderation team.

Not arrived at a solution though as in some cases it involves other organisations.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    Are you talking about the Intelitxt style ads? We work really hard to make sure all adverts are focused and relevant.
    Yes the intelitxt style adds are a major pita when you're trying to read some article that one of your staff has put a lot of effort into writing, & in the end you just give up because you cant stand all the random pop ups that happen even if you don't move your cursor over them.

..rant mode over.

12. Received thanks from:

MaddAussie (23-05-2015)

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Yes. Even though as I'm logged in most of the time I don't see as many of them they are still bad. However they are incredibly annoying if not logged in (for example if I've switched browsers). Ads also seem much more prevalent on small screen devices but that could also be due to not logging in (which is a bit more of a pain for me on such devices than a desktop).

I was also thinking that if you could sign up to the mandate then you'd be automatically whitelisted from some of the blockers that people use internet wide.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Maybe have badges of various types on the left hand side to show your interests, such as Intel, AMD, PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Windows, Steam, PS4, Xbox, Nintendo etc.

15. Received thanks from:

jimbouk (14-05-2015)

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by The Hand View Post
    Maybe have badges of various types on the left hand side to show your interests, such as Intel, AMD, PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Windows, Steam, PS4, Xbox, Nintendo etc.
    Oh like that one. The user system is pretty good as people can talk about what they have without needing to repeat it, maybe something similar for interests (with badges, everyone loves badges )

DR
    Thanks

Yes. Even though as I'm logged in most of the time I don't see as many of them they are still bad. However they are incredibly annoying if not logged in (for example if I've switched browsers). Ads also seem much more prevalent on small screen devices but that could also be due to not logging in (which is a bit more of a pain for me on such devices than a desktop).

I was also thinking that if you could sign up to the mandate then you'd be automatically whitelisted from some of the blockers that people use internet wide.
    Try now

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Try now
    If not logged in, still terrible.

For example, I just browsed some system review I want to read, and this horrible, animated pop up obscures the text, and has absolutely nothing to do with 'saving' or computers or the article. I really do not want a WC that cleans me.. (actually I hardly understand what they're talking about - do they mean a toilet that squirts you, ala a bidet?)

But no pop up ads if logged in, which is good

DR
    Thanks

If not logged in, still terrible.

For example, I just browsed some system review I want to read, and this horrible, animated pop up obscures the text, and has absolutely nothing to do with 'saving' or computers or the article. I really do not want a WC that cleans me.. (actually I hardly understand what they're talking about - do they mean a toilet that squirts you, ala a bidet?)

But no pop up ads if logged in, which is good
    The aim is when you are logged in. As an advantage to those who are logged in and active with the community.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information