Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I see some odd stuff on ebay at times but this is just nuts!

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + HGST 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Temjin 06 plus mods ;)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

I see some odd stuff on ebay at times but this is just nuts!

When searching for an i5 4690K on ebay for someone, I came across this listing for a stock i5 Cooler for £159.99 , I started watching it to see if someone would buy it.

Someone did! Link:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-i5-4...p2047675.l2557

And how jammy is this seller?

VERY jammy indeed as not only has he sold one but another on the 4th of June! Link:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-i5-4...p2047675.l2557

Are people not reading the listing?

I can't see anyway paypal or ebay would get you refund if you said it has no CPU and buyer thought it did!

Clearly listing states just a stock cooler and box with no i5 CPU.

Heck I'm thinking I should list my stock i5 cooler and even pull out the Q6600 one I got in the loft to flog on ebay!

Perhaps the other multitude of PC related odds and sods I have could make me a nice paypal balance!
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - Cooler Master V850

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Re: I see some odd stuff on ebay at times but this is just nuts!

Well you see the "sold" listings - but ebay doesn't show what happens next - if the buyer actually paid / got refund etc.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

I suspect Ebay would actually refund that on the grounds that the item is listed as New which Ebay describes as:
    A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable).

Now since its only part of the package, whether packaging is applicable is open to debate, but while the item may be unused an undamaged, it isnt unopened once the CPU is taken out.

Still, people should be keeping a close eye out on this stuff anyway, to an extent its their fault if they get burned by these sorts of things as the description is short enough to be worth a read and does clearly state it. If it was buried in a wall of text description rather than separated fair enough, but its only a 2 line description so no excuse really.

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

Quote Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
    Well you see the "sold" listings - but ebay doesn't show what happens next - if the buyer actually paid / got refund etc.
    I agree on the part of getting paid, but I can't see how a refund would occur.

I hope my post not seem short but asking to know how a refund would occur as clearly listing is titled "stock cooler" and further description states no CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by jag272 View Post
    I suspect Ebay would actually refund that on the grounds that the item is listed as New which Ebay describes as:
    A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable).

Now since its only part of the package, whether packaging is applicable is open to debate, but while the item may be unused an undamaged, it isnt unopened once the CPU is taken out.
    Good point, perhaps they would refund on this technicality.

So I guess list differently? ie used (I am laughing as typing this sentence).
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)

Technojunkie
    Thanks

*shrug* keep an eye out for the inevitable negative feedback if there's not something else we've missed.

In the distant past a buyer has wanted to complete the sale on ebay, so I've re-used one of my unrelated listings and inflated the buy price to the price agreed
    - then he "buys" it.
    That would look similarly odd to the outsider....
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

*shrug* keep an eye out for the inevitable negative feedback if there's not something else we've missed.
    Will do .

In the distant past a buyer has wanted to complete the sale on ebay, so I've re-used one of my unrelated listings and inflated the buy price to the price agreed
    - then he "buys" it.
    Hmmmm I wouldn't wish to buy or sell like that, not saying you shouldn't. I've made purchases on BIN by requesting seller drop price or offer x postage, they change / inform me / I buy, but as a rule listing must be what I'm buying.

When selling I make say detailed videos of item i) working ii) condition so if a dispute occur I'd present that in my defense to buyer / ebay or say courier damage insurance claim. Now if I'd list item as x and sold them x I'd think I'd be chopping my nose off for protection, also would the buyer have protection if the item then didn't meet their expectations on condition / description?

I use ebay now rarely due to exorbitant selling fees, only sold recently some stuff when they emailed an "invitation only" offer of 100% off selling fees for 10 items and then 75% a week later.

That would look similarly odd to the outsider....
    Yes indeed! .

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

This reminds me of the old "X-BOX" or "XBOX BOX" listings from the early 2000s, when people were regularly selling empty boxes (either genuine xbox boxes, or just boxes shaped like an X) for hundreds of pounds, when the original Xbox was hard to get hold of.

Lots of people just don't read listings correctly. Back then you were kinda screwed but in the days of PayPal..if you are a buyer and raise a claim, 9/10 times you will get a refund regardless. Aside from the ludicrous fees Ebay now charge, this is the number one reason I don't sell on there anymore. Sellers have virtually no rights in practice.

Thanks

I find selling stuff on ebay a total PITA!

I sold an Xbox once, the original xbox. so it's old. He got it for around £14 in total! with controllers and games!!

He wanted a refund "because the screws had been unscrewed at some point" FGS!

I think I've given up selling stuff via ebay. I really don't know how sellers on there make any money, I really don't

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by MrComputerSaint View Post
    I find selling stuff on ebay a total PITA!

I sold an Xbox once, the original xbox. so it's old. He got it for around £14 in total! with controllers and games!!

He wanted a refund "because the screws had been unscrewed at some point" FGS!

I think I've given up selling stuff via ebay. I really don't know how sellers on there make any money, I really don't

It might seem strange, but for some reason I had trouble with games. But not much else.....

I'm not a seller, but have sold a few things on ebay. Not a drop of trouble untill i sold a bunch of old games. Not one of them sold for more than £10 but of 4 games 2 buyers gave me grief.
    Yet i've sold watches, even one to India, camera lenses. Family members have sold furniture for 'pick up only' all without issue.

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

I do think things sell quicker on ebay.

I know I always check ebay first before anything else for 2nd hand item or that odd small item that may incur a higher than it's value postage charge from an etailer.

Also finding recently checking for 1st hand items as well, due to say certain etailers clearing stock via their ebay stores.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Ebay is a sellers hell hole.

ignore what people bid.. in my recent 18 months experience 3/4 of the items are never paid for.. you sit.. as a seller.. waiting.. and they don't pay.. you cant cancel until a set period of time passes... and the buyer doesnt do anything.

I once listed 3 graphics cards.. the same man won all 3.. paid for the cheapest.. and ignored me on the other two

I threatened to not send him it and he threatened negative feedback on the one he'd bought.

I swallowed... took the one payment, gave him nop feedback

He demanded positve fedback to cancel the other two items immediately and not draw it out.....swallow hard.... positive feedback (nothing else you can do as a seller.) AND then he cancelled the other two quickly to enable me to re list

the same occured on kids items.... £1.99 each, £3 postage..... will not allow collection, as I'm not home

bloke won 4 items... messaged me 4 days later to say he didn't want to pay the postage so would send his mum to get them. Told him no. He told me he'd pay on paypay and then when I posted them, claim refunds.

then I had to text his mum three times to explain whjere I lived and finally had to call her and guide her in for 15 minutes on her bluetooth. She was dog pooh thick too.

She fell out of her brand new Motability Fiesta, scooping her 20 stone frame along, rolled up my drive and gave me the £8 and wanted the 4 p change.

then asked to use my toilet.

I told her it was blocked and shut the door.

She .. very likely, thinks I'm rude. I very likely, think her son and her are taking the piss.

I sell very little on the Bay. I BUY on the bay, and as a good buyer, I try not to mess people about, BUT if a seller so much as moves in the wrong direction, I nail them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

I've never ever done an auction, always BIN.

If I had an experience like yours I'd never sell stuff on ebay and rather give away stuff to friends, family or a charity shop.

OilSheikh

Few days before COD:MW3's official release date, some pre-order folks had got hold of their game earlier in the post and they were selling them on ebay for £20k and they got sold as well!

As for selling on ebay, I personally have not had much grief. I always do BIN and immediate payment via Paypal only. This way, I don't have to wait for the buyer to pay. I make it clear on my listings that Returns are not accepted - if you are the buyer, you can take a look at my 1,000+ 100% +ve feedback and take the leap of faith or else sod off! If someone starts giving me grief, I tell them to send it back to me by recorded mail and give them full refund but obviously not pay for their return postage. I then add them to my blocked buyers list.
    And, if someone does leave me unfair -ve feedback ( e.g. the XBOX360 game was DVD and not Blu-ray ), I will use my spare account to buy one of their items and return the favour.

14. Received thanks from:

gupsterg (21-06-2015)

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Ah, "sellers can't give negative feedback" - I remember why I stopped selling on ebay now.
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks

Then again, I hated the days where sellers did not leave the feedback despite being promptly paid and waited for the buyer to leave a feedback first. They never got the balance right.

In my opinion sellers should have the right to neg no-paying buyers, but buyers also have the right of being able to leave an honest feedback without fear of retaliation. That is to say:

Buyer pays -> Seller leave feedback -> Item arrives -> Buyer leave feedback.

I don't really use Ebay much at all nowadays and avoid Paypal as much as I can (haven't used either in a while).

Though it isn't really down to bad experience, to be honest I've been pretty fortunately over so far. But I've heard enough horror stories. Besides, in Japan, it is all about Yahoo Auction.

Spreadie

I finally got paid for an item I sold at the beginning of May - a GTX 780/780Ti waterblock. Buyer claimed it wasn't as listed and broke his 780, then immediately said he was raising a case with ebay and contacting the police / fraud office and intending to pursue me for compensation.

And this was his first contact with me after receiving the block!

Anyhoo, he started a return request and expected me to cough up for the return postage, which I declined. I asked him if it was a reference PCB as my listing clearly stated the block was for a reference card, and I enquired if he had any experience fitting waterblocks. All I got from him was that it was an Asus card and it doesn't matter what my listing said because I sold him a block for a 780/780Ti and it didn't fit, and that he had a "certified computer engineer" fit the block.

This went on and his stories got ever more implausible, and I asked for photographic evidence of the damage. At this point, he fell silent and stopped responding to my messages.

The problem is, I had to wait the 30 days from last contact for the return request to expire before paypal/ebay released my money. Yet, despite the dispute, both ebay and paypal had already taken their fees before I got anything!

I hate selling on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    Heck I'm thinking I should list my stock i5 cooler and even pull out the Q6600 one I got in the loft to flog on ebay!

Perhaps the other multitude of PC related odds and sods I have could make me a nice paypal balance!
    Note to self - Never buy anything from the OP
    Last edited by Spreadie; 21-06-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information