• 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: England 1: Germany 0 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I haven't watched any women's football so far, but I am a bit curious. I mainly want to know is if the sportsmanship is better (less of the diving and trying to play the ref).
    it's mixed. Saw some crunching tackles and staying on the feet, but also a dive for a pen in the France Germany match. The ref had none of it. It was the same French player who then missed her penalty in the shoot out so guess there's some justice in it all.

Thanks
    • satrow's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z77E-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Ivy Xeon 1230 v2/Be Quiet Shadow Rock Topflow
      • Memory:
      • GSkill 2x8GB DDR3 2400Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 3x 256GB SSDs, 2x 1TB 2.5" HDDs.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus blower GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 360W Gold
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy/2x 120mm fans
      • Operating System:
      • W7x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual (/triple) Dell U2412M 1900x1200
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk FTTC ~14Mbps

I haven't watched any women's football so far, but I am a bit curious. I mainly want to know is if the sportsmanship is better (less of the diving and trying to play the ref).
    Examples of diving were rare, refs were definitely on the lookout for it and in this tournament, the fans were also very quick to show their displeasure at any unsporting behaviour. 'Professional fouls' appeared to be less common but most games featured a few.

This follows what seems to be a common trend in all NA football matches, fair play is expected and good skills are appreciated by the fans.

Playing the ref otherwise was much more common in the later stages of the games where the ref had already made some bad/inconsistent calls - this was all too frequent, though of a less hostile nature than we see in the men's game in Europe; the refereeing was generally below acceptable standards, the officials for the final being an exception.

The pitches weren't great (though probably better than Andorra's), inconsistent bounces were fairly common, leading to a number of occasions were the 'receiving' player was made to look 'bad' and at least one goal where a 'mistake' by a defender led to an unexpected goal.

Thanks

It's creeping in more these days, especially for those teams where they've turned professional.

Thanks

Here's a thought - do the women dive as much as the men do? If not....

World Cup Fever (WCF): a pathological condition wherein normally strong and healthy individuals manifest augmented and inappropriate physical responses in the presence of minor noxious stimuli.
    This psychosocial transference and somatization phenomenon is more prevalent in males and has the propensity to form cluster outbreaks on a quadrennial basis. The effects are synergistically compounded with alcohol and parochial success/failure.

Treatment
    Treatment protocols vary from country to country.
    Verbal de-escalation is not advised. This approach has been shown to prolong the symptoms of WCF and often results in the extreme responses of paradoxical rebound aggression or whimpering catatonia.
    The Utopian College of Emergency for Medicine (UCEM) suggests the first line management modality of choice is pharmaceutical. A single course of Growacet tablets has a 98.7% efficacy in symptom reduction.

EDIT: Ooh look - "After the first women's World Cup in 1991, referees who were accustomed to the men's game reported being more fatigued after reffing women's games," said Anson Dorrance, coach of the women's soccer team at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. "I thought that was a wonderful statement about the way women play the game."

"Any time a male player is nicked, there's rolling around, grabbing body parts, trying to sell the ref on some egregious fall to get a yellow card" or other penalties for the opposing team, he added. "Women play the game with greater personal integrity and honor."
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

5. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (08-07-2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information