Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoking ban in "open public spaces"?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Smoking ban in "open public spaces"?

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Where do you stop banning things because "it annoys some people"?

I think we'd need some definition of what's meant by "annoy people". Where does "annoy" turn into "detrimentally affect" for instance?

But really, that's an entirely different thread. And probably an interesting one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I have for years declined to visit anyone (with a couple of very specific exceptions) that smoked. And with one exception, a disabled friend who despite knowing I'd let him smoke refused to because he knew I disliked it, refused to allow smoking in my home.

So, I'd class myself on the militant end of disliking smoke.

Yet, a little while ago while visiting my brother, my nephew "lit up" an e-cig while sitting next to me. He puffed away, on and off for an hour or more, and I wasn't aware of anything more than a mild and not unpleasant aroma. Had it been an actual cigarette, I'd have been coughing and spluttering, and having trouble breathing, inside a minute or two. With his e-cig, it had no effect on me.

I don't know enough about e-cigs to know if exposure, or prolonged exposure, to e-cig vapour actually carries a risk for 2nd-hand inhalers, but it is nowhere near the thoroughly foul experience that 2nd-hand cig smoke is.

So IF such a damaging effect from 2nd hand inhalation exists then my view will change, but currently, people vaping doesn't bother me.

What we do need is a decent level of research to find out, for as certain as is possible, whether such 2nd-hand exposure does cause damage or not, or we risk substituting one set of damage for another.
    I agree, It hasn't been around long enough to know the long term effects however I feel that there would possibly be certain ramifications to 2nd hand vapor/e-cig smoke albeit the tar is vacant, nicotine (among other chemicals) is not.
    The more one seeks, the more one finds and so you realise there is a lot more to be found.

Thanks

sounds like a good idea.

apart from the obvious smell and smoke, remember the fag ends that can litter beaches and parks and even fire risks from left fag ends that aren't put out right

also, for health reasons I think smoking should be banned. I don't think many people if they had a real choice to change history would say they are happy to have been a smoker all their life, wasting huge sums of money, stinking themselves and clothing and places they are in, affecting their health and the health of those around them, but once people are addicted to something they will often not admit to things like this and rationalise all sorts of excuses to continue doing it

if there was an outright ban proposal at the moment I doubt it would pass as the corporations behind fags have so much money to lobby. so an alternate approach is to restrict where people can legally smoke, and continue to make further restrictions a bit at a time so there are few places people can smoke, so less smoking occurs, people over time don't notice or forget about when they could do things, less people start smoking etc, and then we come closer to a time where we can propose an all out ban without it bothering people as much

with various changes in the law about smoking, plus the e-cigs I know a few people who have now given up or dramatically reduced smoking and they say they don't miss it and wish they did it sooner. but rather than self control, they needed changes in laws to help change their habits, but at the same time admit they were reluctant to change and didn't want a change imposed on them, but admit it was something that was good for them

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Far more pressing matters out there. Budget cuts etc and the Council is actually putting time and effort into this??

I think they should just scrap this from the agenda and focus on ACTUAL pressing matters.

I see someone smoking, like others have said I'd alter my course slightly. And if someone chooses to smoke that is their choice.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Far more pressing matters out there. Budget cuts etc and the Council is actually putting time and effort into this??
    Presumably it's precisely for budget reasons that they're considering this.

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    How so?

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

How so?
    They're trying to save money across the board. Measures to reduce NHS funding are of key interest as the ring fenced funding isn't enough to meet projected need.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

They're trying to save money across the board. Measures to reduce NHS funding are of key interest as the ring fenced funding isn't enough to meet projected need.
    if that were the case the solution is to deny treatment on the NHS for any smoking related diseases. That saves the cost and burden on the NHS while maintaining the revenue stream from tax on cigarettes.

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

They'll need to look elsewhere tbh. The time spent looking into it as I know they haven't went ahead with it isn't going to be worth the outcome.

I wouldn't even say more awareness at schools at what kind of damages smoking does to a person. Kids just don't listen.

They need to tackle it at the source, ban the elements on cigs? Tax the companies more? But thats the government that needs to do it. Not the local authority.

And more importantly... someone who gets lung cancer and has been advised to stop smoking? But continues to smoke? He or She should just fork out for their own treatment. NHS is providing a service but alot of people abuse it left right and centre.

I for one, I am grateful to have the NHS. I suffer from hard of hearing and epilepsy... god forbid if I had to pay for my hearing aid repairs..

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Fair warning - if your governments (local, national, etc) decide to take on this issue in the same manner as the US, it's going to get 'worse' for the smoker. And that's not really a bad thing. Here, it's banned from major (and many lesser populated) vacation areas. It's banned on Federal property. It's not just banned, but illegal within a certain footage of hospital and medical center property. Note I didn't say doors - they'll ticket you for smoking in their parking lots. There's very few places where smoking inside in a 'public' place is legal anymore.

Personal note, and full disclosure - 30 year smoker, 3 years quit, and in deep regret of the both the money and health wasted in that period of time. It's easy to dismiss/scoff at someone when you're younger. You haven't really broken anything inside your body yet. At least you don't think you have. Got news for you. You have broken something - your sense of smell and your sense of taste. You may be unaware of it, but even if you never light up in the presence of someone else, they'll know you smoke. Your clothes stink. Your skin, especially your hands, wrists and lower arms, will stain from nicotine, and they too will smell. You may think you have the same stamina as when you didn't smoke. You're deluding yourself. Your lungs no longer have the same capacity. Oh, they're wonderful vessels, and will regenerate, to a degree, over time. But each inhale kills hundreds of thousands of cilia - those little hair like things that feed oxygen into your blood stream.

And the good news? You pass all this all along to everyone around you, inside and out. You may not want to believe in second hand smoke, and the dangers of it, but it's very real. I'm going to stop here, before it starts getting preachy - but I will stop with this comment:

Your right to poison yourself comes full stop when you start poisoning someone else. That's both common courtesy and common sense.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    The only reason smokers enjoy smoking is the feeling of nicotine leaving their system, not it going in.
    Then why does a 24mg eCig not give me the same satisfaction... or indeed any satisfaction?
    I'm toking on that far more than a cigarette and taking in even more nicotine, yet find it utterly rubbish...

Quote Originally Posted by Obie View Post
    that's a very strenuous load on your immune system which will in turn create a bigger chance for you to catch that 'flu'.
    I must have one awesome immune system then, given how I've dragged roughly 20-a-day for 24 years and can't even remember the last time I had so much as a slight sniffle...!

Where do you stop banning things because "it annoys some people"?
    NEVERRRRRRRRRR!!!!
    We must kow-tow to every single niggle, if so much as one person objects to it... and so long as we can take the issue on to justify our jobs and earn votes, of course!!

The smoking ban in enclosed public spaces I was OK with though, although it has seriously hurt pubs (not that I care that much as I don't drink) which were a cornerstone of the UK social scene.
    I don't drink, but I do smoke.
    Now that's something else I cannot do while waiting for all my friends to finish getting lashed...

So, what would out-door bans do to our society and economy?
    Not much. People will still smoke.
    The only ways to stop it is to outright ban it, or price people out of the market.

It seems to me that most smokers have stopped lighting up and are now going down the cheaper and dubiously-enforced route of vaporisers.
    They're not cheaper if you roll your own...!!

Do the people who aren't tolerant of smokers find vaporisers to be fine? Would vaporisers be allowed in these outdoor smoking-free zones?
    No way, Jose...
    They're banned here because of the "Corporate Image"...

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    remember the fag ends that can litter beaches and parks
    You only get fag ends on Hampstead Heath!
    So... cigarette butts are a BIG no-no, but sweetie wrappers, chewing gum, McDonalds packaging, beer bottles, drinks cans, kebab leftovers and all that - Those are perfectly fine and unoffensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    I know a few people who have now given up or dramatically reduced smoking and they say they don't miss it and wish they did it sooner.
    I know many ex-smokers.
    Every... single... one... still says they miss it, even those who quite decades ago. Most miss it something chronic.

What's probably most surprising is the number of nurses who smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    Your right to poison yourself comes full stop when you start poisoning someone else. That's both common courtesy and common sense.
    Except when there's a quantifiable benefit, such as being able to drive, make electricity, produce plastic, profit from oil, etc etc or even just the centuries old tradition of getting out of my tree on booze!

There are hundreds of things we all do that poison people, or otherwise negatively impact their health. Generally, so long as it's taxed, it doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    if that were the case the solution is to deny treatment on the NHS for any smoking related diseases. That saves the cost and burden on the NHS while maintaining the revenue stream from tax on cigarettes.
    While it would help financially, that would breach the NHS principals. Next you'd say no NHS for people who don't exercise, or who eat badly, or who don't manage their diabetes correctly or...

They'll need to look elsewhere tbh. The time spent looking into it as I know they haven't went ahead with it isn't going to be worth the outcome.

I wouldn't even say more awareness at schools at what kind of damages smoking does to a person. Kids just don't listen.

They need to tackle it at the source, ban the elements on cigs? Tax the companies more? But thats the government that needs to do it. Not the local authority.

And more importantly... someone who gets lung cancer and has been advised to stop smoking? But continues to smoke? He or She should just fork out for their own treatment.
    Again that comes down to the principals of the NHS. There are a whole range of things that we willingly do that are bad for our health. For the NHS to discriminate against them is going down a very difficult route - but arguably if we end up down the medical insurance route, one we'll go down anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    What's probably most surprising is the number of nurses who smoke.
    Indeed, I know quite a few nurses that smoke.
    Jon

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

For the NHS to discriminate against them is going down a very difficult route - but arguably if we end up down the medical insurance route, one we'll go down anyway.
    Discriminating?

- Patient has Lung Cancer
    - Its in best interests to stop smoking and change XYZ
    - Patient continues to smoke and lifestyle hasn't changed.
    - NHS has provided a service a level of responsibility if you like. Patient also has to do the same to accomadate the service the NHS is providing.
    - Patient should pay for treatment.

It's just like those who get themselves in to some nick on a Sat night and smashed out the nut on drugs. i.e. T in the Park. (Self Inflicted)

- Why should Tax Payers fund that? Self Inflicted Booze sessions, resulting in Ambulance call out, the individual should be charged.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

If it is for budget reasons, they need to be careful. The last time I checked, the number for how much smoking costs the NHS was between £.52bn and £6bn/year (I am sure the upper-end is nothing like the truth and that's before you take into account we ALL die eventually which costs!)

The goverment takes in almost £10bn/year in tobacco duties from smokers and another £2.5bn from the tobacco companies.

So currently smokers are most certainly subsiding the treasury.

This is another reason that vapes are putting a spanner in the works.....they dodge the tobacco taxes.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Discriminating?

- Patient has Lung Cancer
    - Its in best interests to stop smoking and change XYZ
    - Patient continues to smoke and lifestyle hasn't changed.
    - NHS has provided a service a level of responsibility if you like. Patient also has to do the same to accomadate the service the NHS is providing.
    - Patient should pay for treatment.

It's just like those who get themselves in to some nick on a Sat night and smashed out the nut on drugs. i.e. T in the Park. (Self Inflicted)

- Why should Tax Payers fund that? Self Inflicted Booze sessions, resulting in Ambulance call out, the individual should be charged.
    Do you have as healthy a lifestyle as you possibly could? There's truly nothing you could do to improve things like go vegan/do more exercise? If not, why should NHS treat you either? Save loads of money if they only treat the top 1% healthy lifestylers who actually do everything they can

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information