Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Debate: Limit on Child Tax Credits (2 children only)

Thanks

Re: Debate: Limit on Child Tax Credits (2 children only)

I agree with the limit, but in the long run child benefit is going to have to change further. It should only be applied to people who have up to 2 children and then run into financial difficulty e.g. redundancy. What it should not cover is those who are unemployed who then have children. This may sound harsh but at some point we are going to have to ram home the message that the state is not there to fund your lifestyle choices. This will take time so for now merely setting the limit for future claimants is a good first step.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousSam View Post
    ... we are going to have to ram home the message that the state is not there to fund your lifestyle choices. ....
    You know, I had a reasonable response all lined up for Saracens post above, but this quote pretty much amounts to economic eugenics, and there's no reasonable response to be made to that.

Benefits caps are a nice easy cheap shot at a disenfranchised segment of the community. They make for striking headlines, but in real terms they'll have very little effect on the economy whilst having huge impact on the individuals affected. Sledgehammer to crack a walnut. Divisive and segregational. Utter insanity.

3. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (22-07-2015),neonplanet40 (22-08-2015),nichomach (22-07-2015),Top_gun (21-08-2015)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I don't know the full figures involved, but surely tax credits aren't possibly enough to cover the total cost of having a child? So no-one would consider having additional children in order to get money.

5. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (22-07-2015),nichomach (22-07-2015)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I'd like to see it taken the level that the Chinese do.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Hmmm, interesting one this. My first thought, like Kalniel's, was the question - what's the idea behind the tax credits? Is it just to help people out who might struggle? I don't any certain knowledge as to what the official reasoning is or was but my general understanding about tax breaks for marriages and families is that they exist because society has an interest in promoting healthy family units. That being the case, reducing financial burdens on parents and encouraging people to marry/stay married/raise their own kids was beneficial for those kids and therefore beneficial to society in the long run. Obviously those idea can be debated but just off the cuff I can't see other substantial reasons for tax credits, unless it's just seen as a form of welfare (but surely that would be income related and therefore means tested?) or else just because people have gotten used to it.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I don't know the full figures involved, but surely tax credits aren't possibly enough to cover the total cost of having a child? So no-one would consider having additional children in order to get money.
    Well, the fact that total benefits income is going to be capped at £20k should give a reasonable indication. I live relatively frugally in a cheap part of the country with 1 older child and spend that just on committed monthly expenditure. And that's with the benefit of being relatively comfortable and middle class, so I can make capital investments that reduce my regular expenditure (Sam Vimes' boots theory of economics, for the discworld readers).

Anyone who thinks the UK benefits scheme is a money making system is living in fantasy land. It's a subsistence. If it happens to be a slightly better subsistence than working in some circumstances, I'd suggest that it's not necessarily the benefits system at fault there...

9. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (22-07-2015),kalniel (22-07-2015),nichomach (22-07-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    You know, I had a reasonable response all lined up for Saracens post above, but this quote pretty much amounts to economic eugenics, and there's no reasonable response to be made to that.

Benefits caps are a nice easy cheap shot at a disenfranchised segment of the community. They make for striking headlines, but in real terms they'll have very little effect on the economy whilst having huge impact on the individuals affected. Sledgehammer to crack a walnut. Divisive and segregational. Utter insanity.
    If you "reward" indolence it will perpetuate and become embedded within the collective psyche. We cannot afford to "carry" those that do not wish to contribute now and certainly won't be able to do so in the future. Moreover having to cover this cost takes away money that could be spent on those that want to contribute but can't due to circumstance e.g. disability.

Plus I am not talking about cutting people off at the knees in one go. This has to be a gradual "weaning" process over time as social change cannot be made overnight. It also has to be coupled with a shift change in the functional purpose of our society, but that is a different debate. I don't agree with the state our society is in, whereby the vast majority are borderline drones conditioned to consume and not think about the long term consequences. However, "opting out" and still expecting the state to pay for you is rank hypocrisy.

Finally it is not "economic eugenics" as what you are "weeding" out is not biological but intellectual, i.e. the idea that the state is there for your benefit.
    Last edited by SeriousSam; 22-07-2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: sp. couple to coupled
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I'd like to see it taken the level that the Chinese do.
    Yeah, me too.

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...d-policy.html:

'Women are regularly inspected to check if they are pregnant, even well into their 40s and 50s. Those who are found to be in breach can suffer forced abortions and even sterilisations.'

Stay classy eh.

12. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (22-07-2015),neonplanet40 (22-08-2015),nichomach (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    Yeah, me too.

'Women are regularly inspected to check if they are pregnant, even well into their 40s and 50s. Those who are found to be in breach can suffer forced abortions and even sterilisations.'
    The general premise, not the heavy-handed treatment. 1 child per couple, large taxes beyond that. The world needs this, the population is out of control. The sooner people realise that, the better.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

The general premise, not the heavy-handed treatment. 1 child per couple, large taxes beyond that. The world needs this, the population is out of control. The sooner people realise that, the better.
    I'm not sure I agree. It could be argued it's out of control while we're also increasing the resources we use, but reducing population growth is only one half of the equation in that case - the other is to reduce the resource usage, which is something there is a huge scope for. Reduce meat consumption, increase GM and other food security research, improve energy efficiencies, use more sustainable power sources etc. etc. and there's room for an awful lot more of us on this blue and green marble.

15. Received thanks from:

nichomach (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousSam View Post
    If you "reward" indolence it will perpetuate and become embedded within the collective psyche. We cannot afford to "carry" those that do not wish to contribute now and certainly won't be able to do so in the future. Moreover having to cover this cost takes away money that could be spent on those that want to contribute but can't due to circumstance e.g. disability.

Plus I am not talking about cutting people off at the knees in one go. This has to be a gradual "weaning" process over time as social change cannot be made overnight. It also has to be couple with a shift change in the functional purpose of our society, but that is a different debate. I don't agree with the state our society is in, whereby the vast majority are borderline drones conditioned to consume and not think about the long term consequences. However, "opting out" and still expecting the state to pay for you is rank hypocrisy.

Finally it is not "economic eugenics" as what you are "weeding" out is not biological but intellectual, i.e. the idea that the state is there for your benefit.
    This has been done to death, on here and elsewhere, and I always ask the same question, and get no reply. In defiance of Einstein, I'll ask again. Can you give me an example of where simple financial contraints alone have been implemented and resulted in a decrease of the birthrate within any particular social-economic group?

Look at birthrates in the third world, or across the globe in General and they will tell you that welfare plays little or no part in affecting birthrates, so the notion that you will change peoples 'lifestyle choices' using economic means is naïve at best, or wilfully ignorant at worst. It is a fair argument to say that one doesn't believe the state should pay, but it is simply incorrect to say that it will have any bearing on birthrates, or will have the (supposedly) desired affect of encouraging people to have less children. So in reality what you will be left with is people having the same amount of children as they would regardless of child tax credits being reduced, with less money to raise them. You may think that that is fair, and it is a perfectly valid argument. But the notion it will actually engineer 'social change' is, I'm afraid, nonsense.

17. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (22-07-2015),nichomach (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

The reason why the Chinese use heavy handed tactics is because they know simple financial penalties do not work on their own. And if it is merely a population issue, why have the Tories not said all families are restricted to 2 children, with taxes for additional children thereafter set rates based on ability to pay? Because that's not what it's about.

19. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (22-07-2015)

Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. It could be argued it's out of control while we're also increasing the resources we use, but reducing population growth is only one half of the equation in that case - the other is to reduce the resource usage, which is something there is a huge scope for. Reduce meat consumption, increase GM and other food security research, improve energy efficiencies, use more sustainable power sources etc. etc. and there's room for an awful lot more of us on this blue and green marble.
    All theoretical future fixes. None of them address the issue today nor promise to fix them in the future.

We have already had a recent report from a lot of scientists saying we have already entered the era of the sixth mass extinction event and that it's our fault. So while you and many others may think there is room to expand more and have lofty ideas that the problems will be miraculously solved tomorrow, the actual situation we are in now isn't that rosy theoretical future you might like to make yourself believe in.

Put in perspective, it makes the debate on tax credits seem silly and pointless IMO. The situation is one that demands larger action.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

All theoretical future fixes. None of them address the issue today nor promise to fix them in the future.
    Again I disagree. Many of us have already reduced our meat intake for instance, drive less, and/or more sustainable etc.

We have already had a recent report from a lot of scientists saying we have already entered the era of the sixth mass extinction event and that it's our fault. So while you and many others may think there is room to expand more and have lofty ideas that the problems will be miraculously solved tomorrow, the actual situation we are in now isn't that rosy theoretical future you might like to make yourself believe in.

Put in perspective, it makes the debate on tax credits seem silly and pointless IMO. The situation is one that demands larger action.
    So what are you personally doing to reduce your environmental impact? You can start now. No need to wait.

22. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (22-07-2015)

Thanks

This has been done to death, on here and elsewhere, and I always ask the same question, and get no reply. In defiance of Einstein, I'll ask again. Can you give me an example of where simple financial contraints alone have been implemented and resulted in a decrease of the birthrate within any particular social-economic group?

Look at birthrates in the third world, or across the globe in General and they will tell you that welfare plays little or no part in affecting birthrates, so the notion that you will change peoples 'lifestyle choices' using economic means is naïve at best, or wilfully ignorant at worst. It is a fair argument to say that one doesn't believe the state should pay, but it is simply incorrect to say that it will have any bearing on birthrates, or will have the (supposedly) desired affect of encouraging people to have less children. So in reality what you will be left with is people having the same amount of children as they would regardless of child tax credits being reduced, with less money to raise them. You may think that that is fair, and it is a perfectly valid argument. But the notion it will actually engineer 'social change' is, I'm afraid, nonsense.
    Hence, my comment as part of my reasoning It also has to be coupled with a shift change in the functional purpose of our society, but that is a different debate.

The key is education, as has been shown in the Indian subcontinent where teaching girls leads to a reduction in birth rate. However, the question has to be "for what purpose" as a significant aspect of our societies decline is due to "consuming" being the be all and all of life.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/1607049

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/958066

In not even 10 seconds on google.

The real question is how much it leads to a reduction, whilst at the same time creating social problems due to relative poverty. **snip **

edited by Zak... over the top Animus... no more with the illegitimate words please.
    Last edited by Zak33; 22-07-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: not quite sporting reply
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information