Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: And that's why I won't "upgrade" to Win10 any time soon ;)

Thanks

Re: And that's why I won't "upgrade" to Win10 any time soon ;)

I got it straight off mate, installed Win 10, went to Mojang, used the link there and it opened the Windows Store, automatically applied the code and just had to click install. Did you try the link on the Mojang site?

On a side note, lots of people are definitely going to install and some definitely aren't. The debate seems a bit moot.
    Jon

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    Something about the letters RTFM comes to mind - I think that acronym is fairly universal.
    While I could happily do just that...

1/. I don't have my upgrade yet, anyway.

2/. I probably wouldn't understand The FM even if I did R it!

3/. That would give me just 'a Windows 10 install'.
    With every previous version of Windows, there has been the need to disable some stuff, uninstall/delete other stuff, enable other stuff and alter the settings to optimise some more stuff. You just gotta know what all that is - If I open Task Manager, I won't have a clue what half those processes are. In fact, most of the fiddling is on stuff I have no clue about and, while I am slowly learning, a lot of it seems to be known only to those who work in such an industry. As is, My initial Win7 install by 'R-ing The FM' took up something like 50GB, whereas the post-mate tweaking was maybe 35GB. That makes a LOT of difference, but it's not something I'm fully au-fait with and I'd rather have that help in sorting it than risk completely futzing the install.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Well, if the cap fits .... and from that qualification, I'm guessing it does.
    The Cap is what we put on a disused sewer to close it off... and if it doesn't fit then we have problems!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    It was more a case of giving problems such as may occur time to occur, so why upgrade NOW?
    Pretty much what I was trying to get at - I'll let the problems occur, let people who understand them find the solutions and then take the well-trodden path to get mine installed, as and when.

The other thing bothering me is the rumour that you get 1 month to revert back to Win7, before your licence key is converted and only works with Win10 thereafter - I don't know if a month is long enough for me to decide if I like Win10 yet and I am happy with 7 for now.
    Therefore I will also wait, for more IT-minded friends to sort their Win10 out and let me have a look - I avoided Win8 because I had that opportunity and was happier for it.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post

The Cap is what we put on a disused sewer to close it off... and if it doesn't fit then we have problems!!

Yikes.

Well, should you ever be working in the immediate vicinity of the place I lay my hat, otherwise known as Home, I can only say with complete, total and utter sincerity that I hope the cap fits, fits extremely well, and has great propensity for staying well and truly fitted.

Oh, and to express my genuinely heartfelt appreciation to you and you colleagues for a cap well-fitted. Or putting that another way, also with absolute sincerity, rather you than me, pal.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    I got it straight off mate, installed Win 10, went to Mojang, used the link there and it opened the Windows Store, automatically applied the code and just had to click install. Did you try the link on the Mojang site?

On a side note, lots of people are definitely going to install and some definitely aren't. The debate seems a bit moot.
    Yes, clicked link from Mojang site. Also tried using the code on the Mojang site to put it directly into the store "redeem code" box. Both gave similar errors.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Done my upgrade straight away

Its only my gaming rig anyway and not connected to my main email - its linked to my hotmail address which is for MS use only anyway

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Yes, clicked link from Mojang site. Also tried using the code on the Mojang site to put it directly into the store "redeem code" box. Both gave similar errors.
    Odd mate, have you updated the Store? I had a fair few updates.
    Jon

Thanks

Been on Win 10 now since it launched on 29th. Was a breeze to upgrade and all working 100%. I very much like Win 10

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Odd mate, have you updated the Store? I had a fair few updates.
    Not seen an update for the store happening. The Windows Update panel says the device is up to date.

Activation says that the machine is activated.

Read something that said you had to be logged into your Xbox Live account. I didn't have one, so I created one. Mind you, I didn't have a Microsoft account at all until I started with all this, so in for a penny and all that.

I am on a local account still with no password to go straight to the desktop, rather than logging into the PC via a Microsoft account, but I was logged into my account within Edge. It is sort of a handy cheap spare laptop, so forcing people to log in as me has generally been avoided.

Oh, I also switched the default browser back to Edge in case it was Chrome that was causing grief.

Getting bored of the whole deal now.

I have an old Dell in the garage, perhaps I should update that, see if that fares any better.

Thanks

Ah right no its not done through Windows Update, load the store, and then left click on your username and click on downloads and it should then display any updates.
    Jon

10. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (16-08-2015)

Thanks

I just upgraded to windows 10 now keep getting a blue screen and cannot load windows up, I am going to have to take laptop to pc world at the weekend to repair

Thanks

PC World? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

While I could happily do just that...

1/. I don't have my upgrade yet, anyway.

2/. I probably wouldn't understand The FM even if I did R it!

3/. That would give me just 'a Windows 10 install'.
    With every previous version of Windows, there has been the need to disable some stuff, uninstall/delete other stuff, enable other stuff and alter the settings to optimise some more stuff. You just gotta know what all that is - If I open Task Manager, I won't have a clue what half those processes are. In fact, most of the fiddling is on stuff I have no clue about and, while I am slowly learning, a lot of it seems to be known only to those who work in such an industry. As is, My initial Win7 install by 'R-ing The FM' took up something like 50GB, whereas the post-mate tweaking was maybe 35GB. That makes a LOT of difference, but it's not something I'm fully au-fait with and I'd rather have that help in sorting it than risk completely futzing the install.
    1) The upgrade tool is available from MS directly. You don't have to wait, and you never really had to. And, in point of fact, is the better option than waiting for a Windows update. You can do a direct upgrade with the tool, you can download any and all of the different flavors of Win10 so that you won't have to mess with bandwidth over and over again, and with a local copy in your hand, you can then do a clean install.

2) The manual for the upgrade is very simple - run the tool, and hit upgrade. Not custom - not clean - upgrade. This is what has caused 90% of the issues so far. The rest of the issues come from people not running the compatibility tool first. Some companies haven't released Win10 specific drivers. Some won't be (such as Sony, who has dropped their PC division - they say maybe, and when translated into HL3 years, that means never) Media Center not being there once you're done, while a PR issue, is not an install issue. It's been broadcast for months, and the upgrade tool specifically says that it won't be there. Again, a case of people not reading what's in front of them, and just clicking next next next.

3) Read #2. Don't enable. Don't disable. Don't add. Don't remove. Do a normal backup, and hit upgrade.

The other thing bothering me is the rumour that you get 1 month to revert back to Win7, before your licence key is converted and only works with Win10 thereafter - I don't know if a month is long enough for me to decide if I like Win10 yet and I am happy with 7 for now.
    There's an option in the control panel AND the app panel that allows you to revert back to 7 or 8.1 (whichever you upgraded from). *IF*, like 99% of the population, you do the disk cleanup and remove windows.old and all the rest of the old files, you won't be able to use this function, period. It's disabled, period, after 30 days, at which point you'll have to do a clean install with your OS. Windows 10 has gone a step beyond when it comes to licensing. Your old license isn't your new license. It's only an identifier that lets MS know your install is valid. After you do your first install, your computer becomes your license. There is no conversion of your license. Consider it as your birth certificate being used as ID to get your drivers license. One and done. Your birth certificate is still a valid document. You just don't need it for every day use.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

1) The upgrade tool is available from MS directly. You don't have to wait, and you never really had to.
    So why are MS telling people they'll let us know when our upgrade is ready to download? They concerned about floods of people crashing their servers trying to get the upgrade tool?

The rest of the issues come from people not running the compatibility tool first.
    This is the very first I've heard of such a tool.
    Is this included in the upgrade?
    Do I get the option to run it before the upgrade applies?

Some companies haven't released Win10 specific drivers.
    And until they do, I can't make my peripherals work, which will actually prevent me from playing the games I most care about. Other users of these periphs are having issues already, so I'm inclined to just wait.

Media Center not being there once you're done, while a PR issue, is not an install issue.
    I use WMP, but that's about it. I don't think I've ever used Media Centre for anything... not ever. If it comes to it, I have VLC.
    Meh...

3) Read #2. Don't enable. Don't disable. Don't add. Don't remove. Do a normal backup, and hit upgrade.
    OK... but how about afterward?
    The consensus from those who have it working is to do the upgrade, then do a clean install, then tweak it. It's the tweaking I don't know enough about yet...

What services do *I* need and not need?
    What will run best for my specific rig?
    What bits are unnecesary junk taking up space on my ridiculously small SSD?
    Do I need the Print Spooler, even though I don't have a printer?
    Do I need parental controls?

I exaggerate perhaps, but every Windows has needed stuff like that removing because I don't use it. That's why I have friends assist during my installs.

It's disabled, period, after 30 days, at which point you'll have to do a clean install with your OS.
    So yes, you have 30 days to revert, after which if you don't like Win10 you're stuck or have to go buy a new licence...

After you do your first install, your computer becomes your license.
    So it's tied to, what, that motherboard or something, like an OEM install?
    THAT is the part that I'm hearing bad things about and what will be a problem if I upgrade something.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Not going through all the quoting again -

1) Why are they trying to get some people to upgrade through update? Because it's easier. If you're completely tech ignorant, you need to do nothing except set a reservation and wait.

2) As for the tool, I've mentioned it at least a 1/2 dozen times alone, and it's been mentioned on every tech site on the web. It probably has hundreds of mentions here on Hexus alone by this point. How you missed it, I cannot comment on.

3) Interestingly, I've not had a product I've owned yet not work (that I had any reason to suspect wouldn't). Original Nostromo N52 works. Older printers that just worked. Old Logitech webcams don't. Then again, they haven't worked since XP -> Vista. No surprises.

4) It's your system. You decide what you need. But it's not really relevant to the install, nor the install size. The print spooler, for example, is a service that's built in to the kernel, and you aren't removing it from your drive, and disabling it is pointless, as it's only active when a printer is active.

5) Selective reading? After 30 days, you will have to use your ORIGINAL software to reinstall 7/8.1 as a clean install, because the revert option will no longer work. There's nothing there about buying anything. And if you delete your windows.old folder after doing an upgrade, you'll have to do that anyway.

6) Yes, your Windows 10 license (note the distinction), just like your Windows 8.1 license, is tied to your bios, so you may as well say MB. And 99 times out of 100, if you upgrade your MB, a simple call to MS will get you activated.

16. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

As for the tool, I've mentioned it at least a 1/2 dozen times alone, and it's been mentioned on every tech site on the web. It probably has hundreds of mentions here on Hexus alone by this point. How you missed it, I cannot comment on.
    My reservation finally came through, so I'm only now interested in Win10. Thus I haven't really done more than skim-read a couple of threads, as they weren't really relevant until now.

Interestingly, I've not had a product I've owned yet not work
    Two of my peripherals require control software to configure, but the software is not yet confirmed as working on Win10. Existing users are having issues (and they definitely tech-savvy) and the companies themselves have said they're working on a compatible release.

Selective reading?
    Skim-reading as well as picking up a fair bit of misinformation, which is why I'm now trying to cut through all that and asking dumbass questions to ascertain concise answers.

Yes, your Windows 10 license (note the distinction), just like your Windows 8.1 license, is tied to your bios, so you may as well say MB. And 99 times out of 100, if you upgrade your MB, a simple call to MS will get you activated.
    I have Win7. I didn't go to 8 or 8.1.
    But what I'm being told is that after the 30 days, the Win7 key will become my Win10 licence key (or whatever they're doing it with these days), thus preventing me from using that same licence key if I do reinstall my original Win7.
    THAT is my concern and that is what I'm trying to verify...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

But what I'm being told is that after the 30 days, the Win7 key will become my Win10 licence key (or whatever they're doing it with these days), thus preventing me from using that same licence key if I do reinstall my original Win7.
    THAT is my concern and that is what I'm trying to verify...
    As I understand it, there are two separate issues being conflated in there (and Guido will correct me if I'm wrong)

1) Installation reversion. Maybe should be called rollback.

2) Licence absorption.

Re 1). When you install W10, your EXISTING OS, W7 in your case, is effectively moved to windows.old, but kept. Within 30 days, you can (theoretically, at least) hit the "revert" button, and (simplistically put) the process will remove W10, move your old OS out of windows.old and put it back as your OS, and reboot. You now have a Win7 again.

None of that affects your licence. Though how well it works in practice ....

After 30 days, windows.old is deleted, so 'reverting' will no longer work. If you want to go back to Win7, you'll have to remove Win10 and do a clean Win7 install.

Re:2) There has been some discussion of Win10 subsuming the licence you upgraded FROM. Eating it, effectively.

Certainly, if you upgrade from a Win7 licence to a Win10 licence, that system then operates under the terms of the W10 licence, and your Win7 licence is not currently valid, in the sense that you cannot legally use it AS WELL, like on a different system. That's fair enough. It is an upgrade, after all.

BUT .... what if you want to dump Win10 after, say, 31 days or more? Reverting won't work. But can you :-

a) remove Win10, and effectively deactivate that Win1010 upgrade, and
    b) install your original Win7 system, and run your original licence, and have it activate?

MS, via some rather clumsy social media statements, cast doubt on that and, to date, I've not seen any official confirmation that, provided you aren't still running the W10 update, you can still install the original W7 system and not have, or potentually have, trouble with activation.

Some cars have electronically signed keys. Lose a key, and the 'slot' for that key can be deactivated, rendering it useless in the car. Well, for starting the car, anyway. Find the key again and it won't work until you get the dealer to reactivate it in your car's engine management system. It's kinda like that. Are we going to have trouble getting MS to activate that Win77 system after, say, 6 months, if we decide to dump Win10.

And that's about licence subsuming, not the 30-day reversion option.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information