Thread: Leaked test data - doping in sport allegations

Thanks

Leaked test data - doping in sport allegations

The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) says it is "very alarmed" after fresh allegations of suspected doping emerged in a leak of test data.

The Sunday Times and German broadcaster ARD/WDR have obtained access to the results of 12,000 blood tests from 5,000 athletes between 2001 and 2012.

According to the newspaper, the evidence - which has been seen by the BBC - reveals the "extraordinary extent of cheating" by athletes at the world's biggest events.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33749208

IF any or all of this is true - allegations including:

* A third of medals (146, including 55 golds) in endurance events at the Olympics and World Championships between 2001 and 2012 were won by athletes who have recorded suspicious tests. It is claimed none of these athletes have been stripped of their medals.

* Ten medals at London 2012 were won by athletes who have dubious test results.

* In some finals, every athlete in the three medal positions had recorded a suspicious blood test.

- then what say we just declare the whole thing a retrospective farce, recall all medals, melt 'em down into something pretty, & just go get overexcited about something other than 'competitive' sport.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

Thanks

Re: Leaked test data - doping in sport allegations

Or just make it like F1 and let all athletes have teams working to give them the best drug cocktail to produce the best performance....
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

3. Received thanks from:

sammyc (03-08-2015)

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

If that many people are suspected of cheating, I'd suggest that in addition to testing the athletes, the tests themselves might need to be called into question - either that, or those reading the results.

Thanks

Now you will be able to cheat at Ultimate Frisbee, too

"Unlike the majority of other team sports, it is does not have a referee and instead relies on "sportsmanship and fair play", according to the WFDF." hmm..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    If that many people are suspected of cheating, I'd suggest that in addition to testing the athletes, the tests themselves might need to be called into question - either that, or those reading the results.
    Indeed, if the tests are yielding results, as it would appear, then what is happening after they have been read - and apparently not acted upon - surely needs looking at?

"So many athletes appear to have doped with impunity, and it is damning that the IAAF appears to have idly sat by and let this happen."

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

The biggest question out of all of this is that these files belong to the IAAF, who have done almost nothing about it over the years this covers.
    It looks like there's corruption there on a scale FIFA would would be proud of.
    The whole things a nonesence anyway.
    And sport that lets back drug cheats, even 2 times drug cheats to then go one to compete in and win competition is going to be seen as lacking authority and leadership.
    Just how is Justin Gatlin the fastest man in the world at the moment having been banned twice???

Any now even gamers are taking performance enhancing drugs...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...be-drug-tested

Thanks

^ Naive not to imagine it goes on I suppose, but wouldn't have been top of my list of 'scandal most likely to be next up'. What happens in instances where you already legitimately take medication, in this case ADHD meds? Declare them I suppose? Ditto for certain meds in relation to sport (lazy/should google).

Oh and, really, BBC..? "ESL's Vice President of Progamming James Lampkin", and "that's why we've began to move so quickly against the problem" (at a quick glance). as we were saying..

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

I think you may have considered the flip-side of what I suggested. I'm more commenting on the possibility, if not probability, that there is an issue with the science behind the testing, and an even larger probability that those reading the results are either not qualified or are possibly, intentionally, misreading or over-emphasizing certain things - meaning, imo, the WADA isn't that much ahead of FIFA in the credibility department.

Thanks

Oh, you were suggesting that there are actually less suspicious results than appears (loosely speaking)? In that case, yes, didn't read it that way at all, sorry.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
    Oh, you were suggesting that there are actually less suspicious results than appears (loosely speaking)? In that case, yes, didn't read it that way at all, sorry.
    Let's just say I know an athlete that tested positive for a high level of opiods when she was able to prove, beyond refute, that the only possible contact was with a bagel that had poppy seeds on it, 6 weeks earlier. And that due to a 'computer glitch', a decimal place got moved over on the report. 3 places. A hand entered computer report.

So no, the testing agencies are not above scrutiny. In some cases, I think they're more worthy of scrutiny. There's too much money involved.

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    Let's just say I know an athlete that tested positive for a high level of opiods when she was able to prove, beyond refute, that the only possible contact was with a bagel that had poppy seeds on it, 6 weeks earlier. And that due to a 'computer glitch', a decimal place got moved over on the report. 3 places. A hand entered computer report.

So no, the testing agencies are not above scrutiny. In some cases, I think they're more worthy of scrutiny. There's too much money involved.
    I think a small level of discrepacies are always going to happen. There's also blood conditions that can cause high red blood cell counts which in testing might show up as 'suspicious of blood doping' etc. Then there's a few ridiculous things that turn up in cold remedies etc.
    But these in truth would be a tiny number.
    And there's also the issue that a massive percentage were from Russia... Now, lets be rational here for a minute. And think about the sort of Reputation Russia has around the world for this sort of thing.
    When you find out that the world cups went to Russia and Quatar and that Fifa were taking large bribes, you think it sorta fits.
    Much the same when large numbers of Russian athletes turn up 'suspicious' data. It sorta ...fits....
    Now, when a paper can find people with the skill and expertise to analyse this data, and that someone within the IAAF was clearly worried and with enough understanding to put thier position in jepardy by leaking this data. I find it highly unlikely that IAAF and WADA didn't have the right kinda people with the right kinda skills to interprit this data.
    Someone leaked this data as they felt guilty parties were having a blind eye turned towards them.
    The correct respoce should be now to ask why so many athletes are turning up suspicious data without having any questions asked of them and whether IAAF and WADA are eithier corrupt or completly incompetant.
    I think we might find a few with apartments for thier cats personally .....

Thread Information