• 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Contactless payment jackets

Just saw this! What do people think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p031bvm3

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    A new cashless payment jacket has been created by the English fashion brand Lyle and Scott. It has space in the cuff for a contactless payment chip, like those found in credit cards, that can be tapped against card terminals to pay for goods.

So, is smart clothing the future?
    And while I know you shouldn't wave a red rag at a bull, anyone seen Saracen

Thanks

Re: Contactless payment jackets

Wow. I really, really hope this sort of thing doesn't catch on. I mean, I really have to hope and believe that people are sufficiently sensible to ignore/laugh at this.

I suppose the argument will be about convenience but come on, there's convenience and then there's whatever this is.

Madness.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

SUMMONER

A jacket? Why a jacket?! I can understand a wristband, watch or even a ring to put on your finger. However a jacket doesn't seem to make any sense at all to me.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by SUMMONER View Post
    However a jacket doesn't seem to make any sense at all to me.
    So that you can lend it to someone else, or worse have it stolen, and people can buy things without even having to torture your PIN out of you!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    Just saw this! What do people think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p031bvm3

And while I know you shouldn't wave a red rag at a bull, anyone seen Saracen
    I have no objection to this at all .... providing it isn't made compulsory to wear them.

My objection to contactless cards, which is visceral, isn't that they're available but that financial institutions increasingly won't let any of us that don't want one have non-contactless .... at least, for credit cards.

My new credit card (a couple of months back) arrived as contactless. I rang the bank wanting non-contactless. Nope, not available. I said, fine, disable ALL contactless transactions, because I don't want it used that way, and don't want any risk of liability. Nope, can't do it. How about requiring a PIN for first use, then not sending me the PIN, so any contactless transactions CAN'T have been authorised by me, as I've never had or known the PIN. Nope, can't do that.

I HAD to have contactless capability, they said. Well, they were wrong. I closed the account and shredded the card.

What REALLY irks me, though, is that short of closing the account, they FORCED contactless on me, when I absolutely, categorically don't want it, then claim contactless is a success because millions more people have it. Liars.

So, when I get around to it, maybe I'll hunt around for a bank that still issues non-contactless cards .... and see how long that lasts.

For those of us that want contactless, and find them convenient, fine. Your choice. But I have no desire for, no need for, no use for and absolutely no intention of having, one.

6. Received thanks from:

nichomach (14-09-2015)

Splash

When I saw the thread title I assumed this was some kind of jacket to put your card in to nullify the contactless aspect. I wonder if such a thing exists? If not... Dragons Den here I come!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    When I saw the thread title I assumed this was some kind of jacket to put your card in to nullify the contactless aspect. I wonder if such a thing exists? If not... Dragons Den here I come!
    You can sort of get those, but you have to take the card out to actually use it. Not sure if you can get a material snug enough fitting to keep the card in it while inserting the card into a machine.

I used to have a shielded wallet so stuff in my wallet was surrounded by foil. Worked well for a few years, then the shielding started to fail.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

30 seconds in a microwave oven should be sufficient to destroy the NFC aspect of the card. Of course, it will probably nuke the chip as well, but the magnetic strip should survive so you can still swipe and sign.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    30 seconds in a microwave oven should be sufficient to destroy the NFC aspect of the card. Of course, it will probably nuke the chip as well, but the magnetic strip should survive so you can still swipe and sign.
    If anyone will actually accept that these days.

Registered+
    Thanks

get a foreign card? people still swipe and sign those (or lose the business). but yeah. when i first got a contactless card a few years back i asked them if that aspect of it can be disabled. nope.

i don't think there's any bank that has non-contactless cards nowadays, is there?

ps.. totally didn't understand the part about pin. if you have a card with no pin, it can't be used (aside from swipe.. which i don't think people will swipe if there's a chip on it). and i don't think they do separate pins for contactless and chip. (they said after a few contactless transactions it'll ask for a pin transaction or some such)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post

ps.. totally didn't understand the part about pin. if you have a card with no pin, it can't be used (aside from swipe.. which i don't think people will swipe if there's a chip on it). and i don't think they do separate pins for contactless and chip. (they said after a few contactless transactions it'll ask for a pin transaction or some such)
    PIN is only used for "cardholder present" transactions. For "CNP" (cardholder nor present) transactions, such as telephone orders, you don't need the PIN, so the card would still be functional without it in a CNP situation.

Thanks

I've had the chip part fail in the past (not due to microwaving!) - trying to swipe it just gives a message "use chip instead", so some component of the system obviously "knows" the card was a chip-equipped one where the stripe was only a fallback. Of course, since the chip was faulty, trying to use that just gave a message to try swiping it instead, which got me back to being told to use the chip. At which point, I used my backup card instead.

Quite why banks won't allow you to disable contactless payment, I don't know! I rather like it myself - I even got one of the early stick-on contactless mini-cards from Barclaycard when those came out, before regular cards had that feature built-in.

In the mean time, you could always use Amex: mine has the contactless logo and some support for the feature, but paying that way doesn't actually work (the message refers to some sort of security check, which seems to suggest they need to enable that feature for you before it will work - which is exactly what you're after, AFAICT?)

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Personally I don't get all the paranoia about it. Contact less payments have made my life so much easier.
    Who's ever actually had a card read or the details fraudulently taken due to the NFC element? Horror stories a plenty, but looking for less scaremongering actual facts! Compared to taking details over the phone, people emailing them, or posting pictures online (yes it's happened!) I suspect the percentage is quite small. Plus it's capped and any rogue charges refunded.

In certain circumstances I'd say not having to even get a wallet out of your pocket might be advantageous! Even with the variations of mobile payment brandishing a phone could make you an easy target.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jas88 View Post
    In the mean time, you could always use Amex: mine has the contactless logo and some support for the feature, but paying that way doesn't actually work (the message refers to some sort of security check, which seems to suggest they need to enable that feature for you before it will work - which is exactly what you're after, AFAICT?)
    Depends if you're talking about American Express directly or one of the third parties that use their systems. My MBNA card uses Amex and for 95% of contactless terminals works no problem at all. Don't believe they have a way of disabling the feature. It's present on all cards. But that's not a problem personally. If a bank/card company didn't have the ability for contactless transactions I'd actively close my account and switch.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Personally I don't get all the paranoia about it. Contact less payments have made my life so much easier.
    Who's ever actually had a card read or the details fraudulently taken due to the NFC element? Horror stories a plenty, but looking for less scaremongering actual facts! Compared to taking details over the phone, people emailing them, or posting pictures online (yes it's happened!) I suspect the percentage is quite small. Plus it's capped and any rogue charges refunded.

In certain circumstances I'd say not having to even get a wallet out of your pocket might be advantageous! Even with the variations of mobile payment brandishing a phone could make you an easy target.
    Have talked to shop assistants who love it, makes their life faster and easier. But for me, I have to choose which contactless card to use, so I have to take the card out of the wallet anyway. At that point I have wasted more time than the few seconds it takes to enter a pin.

I have in the past gone to pay with my main card (not contactless enabled) and my wallet got too close to the payment terminal so it beeped that it was trying to pay with something in my wallet. So now I find myself doing an odd shuffle trying to keep my cards away from the terminal while at the same time presenting my actual payment card. Using one hand to enter pin and another to shield the pin from the numerous cameras always pointing at checkouts (against EMV guidlines) means I have to put the wallet back in my pocket only to take it back out again seconds later to put the card back.

For me, contactless is a pain. It isn't paranoia, just impracticalities of use.

17. Received thanks from:

nichomach (14-09-2015)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    If a bank/card company didn't have the ability for contactless transactions I'd actively close my account and switch.
    and Saracen and I would both join pretty quickly!

19. Received thanks from:

Saracen (03-09-2015)

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information