Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, Christmas .... Wish Lists ?

Thanks

Re: So, Christmas .... Wish Lists ?

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    ... when the givee knows it represents genuine thought, not fulfilling the pain-in-the-rear duty of fulfilling a Christmas or b/day expectation.

It all changes if there's young kids involved, of course. But here, there isn't.
    I agree with the sentiment but for me Christmas (and birthday's) aren't about duty. Rather they're what you make them. If Christmas is a time of reflection and appreciation for me, then it's an annual reminder to think about the people around me, and an opportunity to put that into some sort of action - be it a gift, or a card, or something else. There's nothing stopping it from being genuine.

Having said that, it's true that most people don't feel as though they can skip doing something on Christmas, that they do feel obliged to do something 'or else'. For me, I've found that it is 'more blessed to give than receive' and that if I'm honest with myself, I do need regular reminders to get my head out of the clouds, or my own rear end, and reflect more deeply on people and do something for them. So I welcome the opportunity to do so, and relish the opportunity to find some way to do something for them. I'll admit to being more stubborn or rebellious than a lot of people in terms of not caring about convention and being willing to ignore or reject it - so I don't care too much about the peer pressure. For me it's about doing what matters or what's good, and Christmas is a great opportunity for that.

I will say I only focus on close family/friends and I don't mind writing something or being creative in that way rather than buying and giving something.

I'm always adamant with people that they shouldn't follow the sheep and feel the pressure to buy things for anyone (let alone everyone) if they can't afford it or are getting into debt. There's no point to any of that - it's just keeping up with the Christmas 'Joneses', so to speak.

So yeah, if it means nothing, then why do anything? But maybe it can teach us/remind us about something meaningful?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

2. Received thanks from:

g8ina (28-10-2015)

Snr Mbr I ain't that old
    Thanks
    • aramil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570k delided CLU XSPC-Raystorm
      • Memory:
      • corsair vengeance 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 evo 250 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 980 Super Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • corsair tx750 v2
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS800
      • Operating System:
      • MS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • 75-down 17-up

An early spring......

Gave up on all this commercial bullying years ago.

One simple rule don't get me anything for nonsense-mas and you won't be upset when I do the same to you.

Not so much of a Grinch that I stop others from being festive, so a "merry Xmas" will be returned, just not going any further.
    Intel i7 8700K delidded | Asus TUF Z370 Gaming Plus | Palit GTX980 SuperJetStream 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 240Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 1Tb & 2Tb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 32Gb Corsair Vengence | Saitek Cyborg EVO F.S. | Zalman MS800 | Corsair K90 | AOC 27" 2560x1440 |AOC 24" HD | HTC Vive
    “This post was written using 100% recycled words.”

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    I agree with the sentiment but for me Christmas (and birthday's) aren't about duty. Rather they're what you make them. If Christmas is a time of reflection and appreciation for me, then it's an annual reminder to think about the people around me, and an opportunity to put that into some sort of action - be it a gift, or a card, or something else. There's nothing stopping it from being genuine.

Having said that, it's true that most people don't feel as though they can skip doing something on Christmas, that they do feel obliged to do something 'or else'. For me, I've found that it is 'more blessed to give than receive' and that if I'm honest with myself, I do need regular reminders to get my head out of the clouds, or my own rear end, and reflect more deeply on people and do something for them. So I welcome the opportunity to do so, and relish the opportunity to find some way to do something for them. I'll admit to being more stubborn or rebellious than a lot of people in terms of not caring about convention and being willing to ignore or reject it - so I don't care too much about the peer pressure. For me it's about doing what matters or what's good, and Christmas is a great opportunity for that.

I will say I only focus on close family/friends and I don't mind writing something or being creative in that way rather than buying and giving something.

I'm always adamant with people that they shouldn't follow the sheep and feel the pressure to buy things for anyone (let alone everyone) if they can't afford it or are getting into debt. There's no point to any of that - it's just keeping up with the Christmas 'Joneses', so to speak.

So yeah, if it means nothing, then why do anything? But maybe it can teach us/remind us about something meaningful?
    Well, we're close, but not quite on the same page.

At it's essence, Christmas is a religious event, and while not an adherent, I have no problem with that, for the observant, than I do for any other religious event. I respect that it has that meaning for others, so I just give that aspect a wide berth. Each to his own.

And while gift-giving has it's roots in that, I can't help but feel that commercial interests have taken it over and corrupted it. And that, I very much resent, any my refusing to get involved in gift-giving at Christmas is largely a personal backlash on that. I certainly don't mind giving gifts, but refuse to bow to the commercially-driven hype of Christmas, especially if it comes down to giving a gift because it's expected. As giver, I get more from a genuine reaction of the givee (receiver) to the pleasure of the unexpected gift. If I find something that I think would be appreciated, I'm not going to wait, perhaps months, to Christmas to give it. So Christmas then means faffing around trying to think of something, anything, the receiver might half-appreciate, putting them in the uncomfortable position of thanking me for something they didn't really want anyway.

And for what? Retailer's bottom line.

I remember an interesting conversation with a very senior manager at a large national retailer who told me, and I don't remember the exact figures, but it was something like 40% of their annual turnover was in the three weeks before Christmas, and that the extent of Christmas sales was the difference between a successful year with large bonuses, and an utter disaster. Which of course explains why retailers focus on it, and spend so heavily on advertising.

The upshot is that a real contemplative, generous-spirit, truly "giving" time is perverted and corrupted, by business, and THAT, I resent.

There's not much I can do about it, other than fall back on the donkey DNA in my make up, get stubborn about it and just adopt a "hell, no" attitude .... as long as little kids aren't involved.

I do agree about contemplation. I do agree about time with family. While not an observant Christian, I do partake in that spirit. I just reject the commercially boosted, encouraged and abused present-giving element which, over the years, has been perverted into ever-more indulgent and expensive "gifts" by business.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

I'm sure I could come up with a hefty wishlist of Land Rover accessories, guitar related trinkets and other such things. In reality though, what springs to my mind and sticks there is that a couple of days off from training and someone to spend it with would be nice. I know the scrooges out there would love to tell me that Christmas is cheaper and simpler without a partner or children to buy for but I'd like the change and the challenge. It's not about what I get as far as gift giving goes, the reaction I can get out of someone else by putting some real thought into what I get them is a much better feeling in my experience.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

For the gamers out there this is what I'd happily buy myself this year:

As most close family/friends go abroad I generally work over Christmas, everyone else in the office has kids so I hold the fort (albeit from home watching what I want on streaming/dvd), its also nice and quiet to get things done like the oh so joyful tax return.

7. Received thanks from:

The Hand (29-10-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks

It is nice to have a time of year when you can give and get gifts, it can bring a lot of happiness and some usually much needed family time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    (whatever happened to "our" Santa?)
    Last seen mid-August, now busy with his elves presumably?

What with very modest wants from Hexus, and Ai Weiwei sorted - should be a pretty light workload this year.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

10. Received thanks from:

malfunction (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

You buying g8nia?

I always have an Amazon wish list and point people there if they want to get me something. The amount of people I buy for has diminished though, mainly keep it to immediate family and a few close friends.

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

Just a quiet walk, then generally to be left in peace and quiet so I can enjoy some beers while enjoying a game or film marathon. No kids, partner or immediate family & not religious, so not really a problem.

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

I've got to stay with the in-laws!!!

I've got my 3rd redundancy in 5 years coming up and n January. I thought I had got over the stigma but trying to be a responsible role model after only 20 months in my current role is challanging. I haven't told anyone except my wife. Hopefully i can find something better to 'pull up' so to speak. Only therapy atm is looking for Xmas presents for my kids.

If you're stuck for presents for little people; i just got haba super rhino off Amazon for 6.60 for the littlest chap. Wondering if its actually for me as I'm not sure I can wait 2 months.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006...vML&ref=plSrch
    Last edited by Domestic_Ginger; 30-10-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

I'm going to echo a lot of the thoughts in this thread.

I'm personally not religious in the slightest. But I understand why many people are (answers to questions, part of a receptive community, support networks, etc.) and I also appreciate that the nation is a mostly a Christian one, so when my employer gives me the 24th of as a half day and the time between Christmas and new year for free I'm not going to whine too much.

I, like many people have already stated, use this as a chance to spend time with the people I love. I moved out when I was 19 and since I work your standard office hours and my parents work stupid on call/shift hours we rarely see each other more than once a month for 30 minutes at a time.

I like to show them how much I've grown (as they still keep trying to be my parents ... ) and I've come to show this by cooking for them! I normally try and make something a little out there for Christmas Eve tea, for example this year I'm going to make Katsu curry and breaded chicken, not something my parents would normally eat! I also take responsibility for christmas breakfast. Which after the night of drinking me, my dad and my brother get up to the night before is a large task to accomplish!

We still exchange gifts, but it's become much more thoughtful or more family orientated, like we'll buy someone a board game for the entire family to play together, or a movie for us all to watch.

Me and my girlfriend mutual treat each other though. Normally one request and rest are just gifts.

I've went for a metal band for my moto 360. That's how Christmas is for me!
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

Thanks

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • MrNeil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z490 VISION G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 10700KF
      • Memory:
      • 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz
      • Storage:
      • x2 Kingston 240GB HyperX SSDWD + 480gig evo 500GB Caviar Blue Hard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 850W EVGA SuperNOVA G2,
      • Case:
      • NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Window 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC G2770PF 144Hz and a HP 27hq
      • Internet:
      • TalkyTalk 76mb

A satsuma in a sock !

Banned
    Thanks

Katy Perry as our live in cleaner, nanny, sex slave.

Thanks

Spreadie

This year*, I wish for an international law banning the mention of Christmas before December each year.

Other than that, I'm fine, thanks.

*actually, I wished for the same thing last year, but Santa stiffed me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    Time with family and friends and away from work please Santa

(whatever happened to "our" Santa?)
    Fear not, said he, for mighty dread has seized your troubled mind.
    Glad tidings of great joy I bring to you and all hexuskind.

I am back (ok, don't get too excited) .

20. Received thanks from:

g8ina (28-11-2015)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information