Thread: IT Induction

Thanks

IT Induction

Hi,

Its been a loooonnngg time see I have been on Hexus but I wanted to ask a wide variety of people a question and see what they think: It's work related so I hope its not breaking any rules. I have put something similar to this on Edugeeks just to see what responses I get.

I work in education and every year we have around 1000 new students needing to login and use the system. In the past our new students were allocated to an IT classroom with usually a teacher and technician to support them in the first few days of term. Then the students were asked to login, click on various applications like promonitor, set up their college email etc. We as IT found this useful because it meant students knew how to login. Any problems with login details etc were spotted early and after the first week of term everyone had logged in successfully and been told the do's and don't of the system......

Last September this was changed so the students had to wait until their tutorial before they received their login details and an introduction to the system usually just with 1 member of staff. We (as IT support) stayed in a library for an hour a day as a mop up session but this was poorly attended. We then started to see students who had never logged on, or had been struggling with issues. Some students had been unable to partake fully in lessons because they didn't have tutorial until Friday afternoon (it wasn't our idea to change it)

So if you work in IT, or have been involved in IT induction how did it work?

Cheers

Permanently confused

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Re: IT Induction

Well going back many years, people never logging on and changing their passwords was handy for those who may have been a bit naughty on their school's network and got their own accounts locked.

Not very helpful, but it sounds like you had a good system and somebody broke it!

Thread Information