• Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Re: Attacks in Paris

One of the really concerning things is that it seems these terrorists have realized how much more effective s tsctic it is to open up a fully automatic assault rifle or sub-machine gun instead of blowing up themselves, buildings or cars.

In the context of counter terrorism, explosives are relatively easy to trace and detect due to the chemicals required to make them. They also require a reasonable high level of skill and knowledge to put together and be effective enough to make a real difference beyond psychological impact on society. Guns on the other hand are not so easy to trace but very simple to use and can result in much higher body counts.

Thanks

Pretty terrible stuff

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I hope so. the only good way to deal with cancer is to kill it off. It's never pretty doing so, and good cells get killed with the bad ones, but cancer is cancer and the sooner you act the better.
    Funny story.

http://www.thenation.com/article/wha...sis-prisoners/

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    It depends on which goals you are thinking of.

That goal. Killing "the grayzone" - Muslims integrated into Western society - in favour of a completely black and white world of "us vs them" for "the West vs Islam"

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

I cant imagione the sheer horror of being out with my wife on a Friday night.. to hear gunfire.. and then a distant bomb detonating, or to see the AK's being fired at my loved ones.

In 2005 my wife was at Euston when the bombs started going off on 7/7 2005 and I was no where near to support her or her friends.

All terrorism is effective only if it enduces long term terror. I refuse to be terrorised. I can be scared whitless, but I won't be terrorised.

The history behind the attacks is convoluted and twisted, and have many facets. One of which is that the West is attacking the East and so they retaliate in their own way as they don't have the same attack powers as we do.

To live in Syria would be terrifiying somedays I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

6. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (16-11-2015),gupsterg (18-11-2015),Jowsey (16-11-2015)

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    All terrorism is effective only if it enduces long term terror. I refuse to be terrorised. I can be scared whitless, but I won't be terrorised.
    This. My girlfriend told me that we should probably think long and hard about going to any football matches in the future, and I couldn't agree more with her!

I'm a Sunderland fan, I really should consider if I want to pay money to watch that mess of a team. But I won't allow terrorist activities to make my decision because then they (NB, this is the grammatical use of the word "they". I'm not making a them or us statement, just following standard conversational protocol) have won.

A lot of things are being said by a lot of people. From all sides, liberal and conservative.

Just as a small example, not long after the events came to light my facebook exploded with extreme views. People were shouting from one side to close all borders and to assess any recent immigration. Whilst other people were saying that it's a tiny minority and that this doesn't represent all Muslims and that we need to make more of an effort to integrate all Muslims.

I think progressive steps need to be made in an effort to limit these events but it needs to be only a moderate move. Our hand can not be forced to extreme motions because of these events as it will only fuel the fires.

Sadly, the problem is a fundamental one and I do struggle to see how a resolution can be achieved satisfactorily for all.
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Quite an interesting article here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...dernisers.html

It talks about the civil war within Islam itself between the medievalists/Islamist and mordernisers over the past 200 years, due to the waning (and collapse) of Islamic powers such as the Ottoman Empire, along with the rise in power and cultural spread of the Western civilizations.

Thanks

Hmm, my initial reaction is that is not how anti-discrimination work.. (in reply to a couple of posts back) or at least should work.. but I admit I haven't looked into it in debt (and presumably the law also vary from country to country).

In sort of an reversal of school shootings, I also note that some US politicians, including but not limited to Trump, are suggesting that the tragedy would have been lessened had France had concealed firearm permits.

I thought a little about it and ended up unconvinced. Unless firearm training required for the permit is a lot more conprehensive than I imagine, including elements of tactical training I wonder if regular civilian can realistically stop the carnage for the following reason:

1. Since we are talking about people willing to blow themselves up, the risk of being shot isn't likely going to be a deterrent.

2. The scene is probably chaotic so you would not only need to know how to use a firearm accurately so as not to hit the crowd, but remain cool and capable of immediately assessing the situation correctly to ensure you are shooting at the bad guy and not another citizen with a gun.

3. On the same token, law enforcement will also need to be more careful in differentiating between terrorists and armed civilian (I don't think it would be wise to assume that anyone with a small firearm as opposed to an AK is necessarily a civilian).

Unless civilians are made to undertake urban warfare training, and ingrained with a constant "combat ready mindset", I suspect that would be quite hard to stop or even diminish the damage caused by an ambush by terrorists with automatic weapons suicide vests.

PS: Excuse the typos - wrote this on my phone while sitting in the train..
    Last edited by TooNice; 16-11-2015 at 04:11 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

^ I largely agree - surely better to post armed - trained - guards at high profile public events whilst there's an on-going terror threat.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Hmm, my initial reaction is that is not how anti-discrimination work.. (in reply to a couple of posts back) or at least should work.. but I admit I haven't looked into it in debt (and presumably the law also vary from country to country).

In sort of an reversal of school shootings, I also note that some US politicians, including but not limited to Trump, are suggesting that the tragedy would have been lessened had France had concealed firearm permits.

I thought a little about it and ended up unconvinced. Unless firearm training required for the permit is a lot more conprehensive than I imagine, including elements of tactical training I wonder if regular civilian can realistically stop the carnage for the following reason:

1. Since we are talking about people willing to blow themselves up, the risk of being shot isn't likely going to be a deterrent.

2. The scene is probably chaotic so you would not only need to know how to use a firearm accurately so as not to hit the crowd, but remain cool and capable of immediately assessing the situation correctly to unsure you are shooting at the bad guy and not another citizen with a gun.

3. On the same token, law enforcement will also need to be more careful in differentiating between terrorists and armed civilian (I don't think it would be wise to assume that anyone with a small firearm as opposed to an AK is necessarily a civilian).

Unless civilians are made to undertake urban warfare training, and ingrained with a constant "combat ready mindset", I suspect that would be quite hard to stop or even diminish the damage caused by an ambush by terrorists with automatic weapons suicide vests.
    There have been more shooting deaths in the last week in the USA than in France.

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

On Friday ISIL also killed about 40 people in 2 suicide attacks in Lebanon. This iirc due to Hezbollah (Iranian) involvement in Syria.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6732156.html

NATO desroying ISIL in a stand up war will only scatter them to the winds. They then land and ver3.0 starts; it will start.

Registered+
    Thanks

Any muslim who kills an innocent is NOT a muslim and any muslim who supports a muslim who is a terrorist is not a muslim

Thanks

Personally I think this hatred of Muslims is stupid and unhelpful. I don't see these people as Muslim terrorists but just terrorists. Just the same as I don't see the IRA as Catholic terrorists, just terrorists. No matter what they claim, they are still just terrorists.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keldon View Post
    Personally I think this hatred of Muslims is stupid and unhelpful. I don't see these people as Muslim terrorists but just terrorists. Just the same as I don't see the IRA as Catholic terrorists, just terrorists. No matter what they claim, they are still just terrorists.
    True, these are people who are seeking political power and using religious dogma to achieve those ends.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Yet there is a theme: Religion.

War on religion next please!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

That's an inaccurate and tired comparison. Whilst it's true that most (but not all) Provisional IRA members were Catholic, Catholicism was never the cause for which the IRA said they were fighting for, rather it was for Irish Nationalism which, if you trace it back to it's origin, was effectively started by Protestants, and men of that sect such as Theobold Wolfe Tone are revered in Nationalist, Catholic circles. The sectarianism of the conflict was a by-product, not a cause, in later years throughout the troubles.
    Had the IRA been waging their campaign for the 6 Counties to be a Papal state, then the term 'Catholic Terrorist' (assuming one accepts organisations engaged in that kind are terrorists), would be entirely appropriate. But the perpetrators of the Paris attack (assuming it is ISIS) have openly stated that their end goal is to have the entire world governed by Sharia law under Islamic rule and, as such, labelling them Islamic Terrorists is factually correct. To ignore the fact that their interpretation of their faith is at the root of the trouble, is IMO, dooming ones self to fail against them. Does that mean all muslims are terrorists? Of course not, that really does go without saying.

Thread Information