Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Britain is doomed!! (How is that going to affect you)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Britain is doomed!! (How is that going to affect you)

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    No - We employ the *cheapest* people for the job. It's all about the profit margins.

Why employ a UK nurse who speaks perfect English (which is pretty important in 'public-facing' roles) but has student debts and needs a decent salary, when you can employ a Filipino nurse who speaks barely passable English but will work for half the salary?
    Same goes for civil engineers, IT support staff and tanker drivers. I know many other industries do the same, but those are the ones of which I have direct experience myself.
    Cheapest able to do the job can count as the best in many situations. That means your product is cheaper and the consumer benefits compared to a rival product. Now a more expensive employee may be able to improve your product in some way and give you more profits, in which case you'd be mad not to go for them, but not every position is like that.

Thanks

I am hugely disappointed. University fees are expensive enough as it is, and I'm pretty sure that they are only going to increase further...
    I'm never going to be able to pay off my student loan... (forgive my insular viewpoint!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    Free movement of people has led to net migration from the EU of over 300,000.
    I'm not sure where you got those figures from as all the ones I've looked at show net migration from the EU was/is around 172k per year, lower than migration from outside the EU (191k).
    Last edited by Corky34; 24-06-2016 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Corrected numbers added link

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I'm not sure where you got those figures from as all the ones I've looked at show net migration from the EU was/is around 172k per year, lower than migration from outside the EU (191k).
    Those were the figures mentioned on TV
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36382199
    And here.
    http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/stat...ion-statistics

Admittedly, that's total. Not EU.

Thanks

For what it's worth, this may be of interest here - the speech given by Gibraltar's Chief Minister (leader of the government) today in response to the Brexit vote. This is coming from a nation and government that campaigned and voted heavily in favour of a 'Remain' vote but now faces the 'Leave' result:

The speech starts at 2:10

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

It's not much of a surprise that they've taken that line, they don't want to upset the UK for fear they'd be used as a bargaining chip in upcoming trade deals.
    Not that they'd be used as a bargaining chip but laying things out the way he did puts that possibility further out of reach.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    You were the one justifying that position, raising spurious notions about them taking money out of the country, and talking about the deficit, austerity and underfunding of the NHS in the same sentence. "Here's all these immigramnts, look what they're doing to our country."
    Read my wording, I wasn't raising spurious notions, the media did. As I said, "it's what people see in the news".

Why are there 1.7million unemployed Britons if EU migrant workers can just walk in and get a job? Why aren't the Brits getting those jobs? What does that tell you about the motivation and capabilities of those people?
    While there are a lot of people on benefits I would really love to give a kick up the backside to, you can't expect everyone to be happy working 12 hour days for minimum wage because someone from a much poorer EU country will.

None of those issues have anything to do with our EU membership. They were used as a cynical ploy to persuade people - predominantly the less educated and the working classes - to vote against their own best interests. Yes, this was the referendum we were presented with, but people were dishonestly told that it was about issues that have nothing to do with the EU (we shouldn't be surprised, pretty much every election campaign I've been aware of has involved making promises that are irrelevant to the election being fought). The people of this country have been sold a lemon.
    Call me synical but I just see it as just another day in politics. We are lied to every day by politicians who are completely out-of-touch (probably because they are more concerned over their own self-interests), perhaps they may tread more cautiously and with more awareness in future.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

I think what annoys me is there's just no tangible selfish *reason* for the VAST majority of the leave votes. Like, no actual specific gain.

Voting for a purely selfish reason is entirely understandable. But what is the selfish reason here? What is the tangible benefit?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    You adorable cupcake, you.

Get ready for *fun* prices.
    In the short term, yes. Long term? Who knows, we may be better off. Of course, if you know otherwise it would have been nice for you to sit down with our government and explained it all, that way they wouldn't have been so divided over Europe too the point where they asked us instead.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

OilSheikh

Thanks

But we are now master of our destiny (subject to T&C)! We are more democratic! We showed them we ain't scared! More money for hospitals! Less crowded cities with fewer scary looking East Europeans! And stuff.

Well, this *is* democracy so I don't want to complain too much. But if things do end up horribly wrong in the mid/long term, it will play into the argument that some things should not be left for the people to decide. Which sucks.

I guess it's wait and see if the Brexit camp really saw something that we all missed eh. For the time being, I am kind of glad that I am not living/working in the UK right now.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    In the short term, yes. Long term? Who knows, we may be better off. Of course, if you know otherwise it would have been nice for you to sit down with our government and explained it all, that way they wouldn't have been so divided over Europe too the point where they asked us instead.
    Best we can do is look at the economic advisors and political professors who almost unanimously said it will take up to 10 years to complete trade deals, if they go to plan and even then, would take years to reach stable levels in practice.

Maybe we will retain access to the shared market and continue as is, if so we still have to abide by the same rules but get no say on them.... so what was the point?

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Maybe we will retain access to the shared market and continue as is, if so we still have to abide by the same rules but get no say on them.... so what was the point?
    No point, and if the news is right the EU aren't willing to let us retain access to it any longer than they have to. Once article 50 is invoked, we're toast.

Thanks

The point is that we gain more control over our own nation. There's a lot of cynicism about the democracy in the UK and the ability of the populace to affect anything, but today's result should be an indication that things can change if people are committed enough and willing enough to be and stay engaged. Certainly, if no-one makes that choice then nothing will change, however, it's also true that if people from both sides of this referendum take a different view on their engagement with politics and what they will and won't permit government to do, then things can change. In fact, that is the one thing that is absolutely essential now for anyone who is unsure of the future. The ability now exists, more than in a long time, for the British people to dictate the direction of the nation. Britain's future doesn't have to be racist or economically bleak, or xenophobic or anything else. It's about taking the energy that was generated in this move to leave the EU (which for some has lasted the better part of 20 years) and convert that into energy to re-imagine the UK. It might well be along the lines of how things are now, and the values of the EU, or not, but the point is that it is our choice now. It will not be dictated to us from outside, but will be generated from within.

All of us should see this and consider what we want to see. And then it will be about influence. Not just trying to influence politicians directly, but influencing one another, the community, engaging together to change the national 'climate' on different issues. It's an internal process of establishing the national identity.

People can debate backwards and forwards about whether people were or weren't justified to feel that the EU was undemocratic. The end of the story so far is that the decision has been made on the lines that it was, and the result is that (especially when article 50 is invoked, and Britain leaves) every single Briton now has more power to influence the direction of this nation in every area than they did before, certainly on paper, but definitely in terms of political climate. The politicians must certainly be feeling the weight of this decision which is, essentially, the result of duplicity and subterfuge many years ago in the referendum to enter the EEC and onward through Maastricht etc. But again, history is history. The lesson today is that change can happen, this decision did come from the people of the UK, not the politicians, and unless any of us want to just sit around and wait to see how bad things can get while others take decisions, the choice is before us to actually consider what we want, and set in motion the discussion and voice to being to pursue those things; to say what we will and won't tolerate, to talk to our friends and colleagues and MP's about it, to set the temperature for the future Britain.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    But we'll be getting a new hospital every week!

Oh, maybe not.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...was-a-mistake/
    It gets better:

Speaking on BBC News this morning, Tory MEP Daniel Hannan said: “People are grown up and they understand this isn’t something that can happen tomorrow.

“No one has ever suggested there is going to be no immigration.

“There will be EU nationals watching this programme now and I want to underline - no one has suggested any change in their status.

“In terms of migration from the EU the one thing we can do as a result is we will no longer be citizens of the European Union.

“If people watching think that they have voted and there is now going to be zero immigration from the EU they are going to be disappointed

“Of course there is still going to be immigration. There are still going to be people coming here to work and you will look in vain for anything the Leave campaign said at any point that suggested there would be any kind of border closure or pulling up of the drawbridge.”
    Brexit campaigner Dr Liam Fox said: “A lot of things were said in advance of this referendum that we might want to think about again and that (invoking article 50) is one of them.

“I think that it doesn’t make any sense to trigger article 50 without having a period of reflection first, for the Cabinet to determine exactly what it is that we’re going to be seeking and in what timescale.

“And then you have to also consider what is happening with the French elections and the German elections next year and the implications that that might have for them.

“So a period of calm, a period of reflection, to let it all sink in and to work through what the actual technicalities are.”
    The first quote is going to pee off a number of people - heard a reasonable number of the older folk locally saying they were voting leave so it would stop all migration here.

Asleep
    Thanks
    • Repressor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4A89GTD PRO
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung HD502HJ
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HD5850
      • PSU:
      • 620W Seasonic
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H X3

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    You adorable cupcake, you.

Get ready for *fun* prices.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/e...6-1722561b579d

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread Information