Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Not a single thread on the US election?

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Re: Not a single thread on the US election?

The silent majority rising up on both sides...
    I'm guessing Germany is next, quite possibly a scarier prospect with the Neo Nazi's & extreme far right gaining momentum all the time.

I guess this is too soon?
    Last edited by AGTDenton; 09-11-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Guys - just be aware that some comments may be taken as libel/slander - I can never remember which is which, Im sorry but I have had to delete one comment, just be careful please !
    Cheers, David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
    Guys - just be aware that some comments may be taken as libel/slander - I can never remember which is which, Im sorry but I have had to delete one comment, just be careful please !
    AFAIK - Libel = published / written and Slander = Spoken
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

4. Received thanks from:

g8ina (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    The silent majority rising up on both sides...
    I'm guessing Germany is next, quite possibly a scarier prospect with the Neo Nazi's & extreme far right gaining momentum all the time.

I guess this is too soon?
    You should have added the picture of Putin smirking in the back too!

Russia has essentially benefited from the fact that the US and the UK,who are among their biggest detractors,will probably now have a softer stance towards them.

Thanks

I suppose that unlike a certain Farage, I expect that Trump won't run away from the results ("tis ain't over... oh we won? lol gg kthxbye"). If he messes up royally, he'll be remembered for it. I am of course assuming that the earth isn't going to self-destruct under his term and we'll be able to look back in 4 years time and see if he has really made the US "great again". And what cost (or, benefit ) to the rest of the world.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

I'm wondering when the other powers of the world will move to test President Trump's mettle? I doubt it will come from Russia, who is hankering to start talks on their sanctions.. More likely China in the South China Sea or maybe North Korea with further nuclear saber rattling. One thing is for sure, defence budgets are being revised in allied capitols across the world as we speak.
    Last edited by The Hand; 10-11-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Maybe I'm just clueless but although I disliked Trump (and Hillary) as a candidate, once it came down to the two of them, well... I am glad it's Trump rather than Hillary mainly because of her seemingly 'above the law' mindset and this very 'top-heavy' approach, nearly dictatorial. People talk about Trump not being a nice guy and him being a liar, but Hillary seems about the same, but more dangerous. I mean the allegations directed at the Clinton Foundation and the email server scandal - those are hugely serious. Whatever character flaws Trump has he's still, technically, got a clean sheet politically. Had I been able to vote I suspect I would have voted for Trump for these reasons. I'm not scared that he's going to go nuts. I don't think he's deeply principled enough to push for some horrific vision. I've often thought that he plays for the crowd and the camera, but that, ultimately, any possible Presidency may be more about the team around him than just him. He could prove to be quite balanced, or at least, many are hoping the gravity of the situation, the responsibility of the office, will steady him. I sincerely hope so.

But there's more going on here than just that. What has just happened is truly historic. Trump, as 'unpopular' as he was, has achieved what no other Republican candidate has done in years - swinging major battle-ground states, and doing it with almost total enmity from the mainstream media. This has to be a massive wake-up call for American politics and politicians. I suspect it was more about voting for a "non-politician" than anything else. Democrats could have gone with Bernie Sanders, a principled candidate albeit further to the left than most. They didn't, the elected a candidate with a seemingly worse character and reputation. Republicans had a chance to vote in more 'normal' candidates from their sphere of right-wing politicians, but they didn't. So this seems to be an election that was less to do with character and principles, and more to do with two opposing world-views, heavy-handed politics and more of the same or, seemingly, more 'power to the people'. The proof of the pudding is, as they say, in the eating, so we'll see what sort of man, and President, Trump will be.

But this election result is truly stunning.

There was a short piece from a conservative writer who didn't like either candidate. I thought it was an interesting quick look at what this all might mean - Guy Benson on Townhall.com
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

9. Received thanks from:

mikerr (13-11-2016),mistral_blue (11-11-2016)

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    The proof of the pudding is, as they say, in the eating, so we'll see what sort of man, and President, Trump will be.
    I don't think I could have ever voted for a man running for elected office who says he grabs women by the 'whatever'. I'm sure it makes me a fuddy duddy, but I think that just about sums up what 'sort of a man' he is. Still, each to their own.

Bagnaj97

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/buyplanetmars-com-2 Might be a prudent investment given Trump's beliefs on man-made climate change.

Yes, I'm aware this sort of thing is technically meaningless!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    I don't think I could have ever voted for a man running for elected office who says he grabs women by the 'whatever'. I'm sure it makes me a fuddy duddy, but I think that just about sums up what 'sort of a man' he is. Still, each to their own.
    "..will be..."

Plus, Trump was a man caught saying it. And a man who once said it in the past. Worth remembering those. Maybe he still talks like that. But if we do a quick poll on who else has said something horrible as an adult, I suspect Trump won't be in the minority.

I think I maybe be sounding like a Trump supporter here. I'm not. Not really. My ideal for a candidate wouldn't look like Donald Trump. However, what mystifies me, is that all the criticism thrown at Trump often is done as though there was a better alternative. There wasn't. So it's not like we had someone who had said nasty things vs. someone who hasn't. Or someone who lies vs. someone who doesn't.

We had two choices who were regrettable at best. Americans need to look to their own country and culture(s) to see why that might be.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Quote Originally Posted by g8ina View Post
    Listening to his speech, he is saying absolutely nothing. Its all spin and BS, no policies, no numbers, just empty rhetoric.
    Pretty sure nothing has changed since he started his campaign.

He says the same thing over and over, using basic monosyllabic words.

Lots of people have picked apart the bile he spews, this guy does it with pretty graphics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aFo_BV-UzI
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

"..will be..."

Plus, Trump was a man caught saying it. And a man who once said it in the past. Worth remembering those. Maybe he still talks like that. But if we do a quick poll on who else has said something horrible as an adult, I suspect Trump won't be in the minority.

I think I maybe be sounding like a Trump supporter here. I'm not. Not really. My ideal for a candidate wouldn't look like Donald Trump. However, what mystifies me, is that all the criticism thrown at Trump often is done as though there was a better alternative. There wasn't. So it's not like we had someone who had said nasty things vs. someone who hasn't. Or someone who lies vs. someone who doesn't.
    Yeah the thing is, for me personally, once someone does or says certain things that crosses one of my red lines, then I'm done with them, which actually takes quite a lot for me to ever reach that stage. If one of my friends told me that he goes up to women and grabs them by the **** they'd no longer be my friend, ever. I'd be really happy for him if he came up to me years later and told me that he doesn't grab women anymore, but I still wouldn't want anything to do with him. And likewise, someone like that would never, ever, get my vote if they were looking for it – even if they had undergone a conversion of damascene proportions, and even if I was unable to vote for the other candidate(s), which may have been the case if I had of had a vote in this election.

I guess the long and short of it is advocating grabbing women's genitals whilst seemingly disregarding of whether they want you to or not is crossing one of my red lines, and the timeline of when someone advocated that doesn't really matter. That, to me, isn't 'saying something horrible' which at times all of us are guilty of; it's reprehensible. But like I said, each to their own.

Thanks

Sorry but other adults weren't running to be president, and to claim that bragging about grabbing women's gentiles is not just saying something horrible, it's admitting to sexual assault.

Again it's wasn't just someone who had said nasty things or someone who lies vs. another who does the same, I'm not claiming the alternative was white as the driven snow or perfection personified but based on Trumps past he (IMO) is by far and a way the worst choice of two bad choices, he's shown himself to be a xenophobic, misogynistic, lying narcissist who has scant regard for the rule of law and an awful grasp of finances.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    Yeah the thing is, for me personally, once someone does or says certain things that crosses one of my red lines, then I'm done with them, which actually takes quite a lot for me to ever reach that stage. If one of my friends told me that he goes up to women and grabs them by the ****, they'd no longer be my friend, ever. I'd be really happy for him if he came up to me years later and told me that he doesn't grab women anymore, but I still wouldn't want anything to do with him. And likewise, someone like that would never, ever, get my vote if they were looking for it – even if they had undergone a conversion of damascene proportions, and even if I was unable to vote for the other candidate(s), which may have been the case if I had of had a vote in this election.

I guess the long and short of it is advocating grabbing women's genitals whilst seemingly disregarding of whether they want you to or not is crossing one of my red lines, and the timeline of when someone advocated that doesn't really matter. That, to me, isn't 'saying something horrible' which at times all of us are guilty of; it's reprehensible. But like I said, each to their own.
    Please understand, I'm not dismissing Trump's words as irrelevant or acceptable. You're right, that sort of attitude is reprehensible. However, for a great many people words spoken casually, in private, in the past, like that, don't weigh heavily enough against the sort of on-the-record lies and irresponsibility shown by Hillary.

These facts about both candidates are why a number of my friends in the USA voted for third parties/independents. Others chose to vote Trump because, despite his failings, they believed Hillary guilty of far worse and with the potential for far worse. That might have been my reasoning to, had I had vote. Maybe not, I don't know. But that was my point. If you don't mind me asking, what might have been your rationale had you had to vote and make that decision?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

It makes me wonder if Bernie Saunders had got the Democrat nomination instead of Clinton. He actually seemed quite reasonable compared to her and Trump.

But I think people need to consider the US has gone through 1000s of dead in the ME and 10s of 1000s more injured,so she looked more hawkish in that regard than him and it makes me wonder whether people were also secretly worried of getting dragged into another costly conflict.

Putin must be doing a victory jig around the Kremlin now!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Sorry but other adults weren't running to be president, and to claim that bragging about grabbing women's gentiles is not just saying something horrible, it's admitting to sexual assault.
    Not necessarily. These are words spoken in private in a boastful manner. It's not the same as admitting to sexual assault. If he were definitely guilty of sexual assault that would have removed him as an option for me if I were voting. However, I don't believe that has been demonstrated and I'm careful with stories arising during political campaigns because they are known for throwing out as much crap as possible and hoping something sticks.

Again it's wasn't just someone who had said nasty things or someone who lies vs. another who does the same, I'm not claiming the alternative was white as the driven snow or perfection personified but based on Trumps past he (IMO) is by far and a way the worst choice of two bad choices, he's shown himself to be a xenophobic, misogynistic, lying narcissist who has scant regard for the rule of law and an awful grasp of finances.
    I don't see that he's shown himself as xenophobic, I don't believe he's racist. He's been painted that way. I think, most likely, he's a guy who talks and brags too much and tries to make himself look like the boss. I don't think he's principled in good or bad ways. So I don't think he's a racist or xenophobe.

Misogynist, maybe, but I very much doubt that'll see the light of day during a presidency. I hardly think misogynistic legislation is going to be forced through by him. I'd rather have a principled and moral candidate, but I think in this instance there just wasn't one on the ballot, so whichever choice was made, something ugly wasn't going to show up.

Narcissist? Seems so. As above.

Scant regard for the rule of law? Do you have something in mind here? I haven't seen that, apart from him trying to play loopholes with tax etc. Was there something else? How do you see Hillary in this light, because it seems clear to me that she has shown MASSIVE disregard for the rule of law. If this is important for you then were you okay with Hillary in this matter?

Awful grasp of finances? Possible, however Hillary hasn't shown herself brilliant, and she hasn't got a business record to compare with Trumps. For me this is a lesser issue when faced with two undesirable candidates. I think the greater landscape of American government, the three branches, the team the successful candidate surrounded themselves with, has to factor in here.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information