Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I happened to find the first salesman in history who had no interest in making money

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

I happened to find the first salesman in history who had no interest in making money

So I went and bought a 43" 4K TV yesterday. Happy with it and all that..wish it was bigger, because the bezel on my old one was so big, this looks smaller even though it's a bigger TV ha.

But I digress. I've just checked online. For £50 bloody quid more I could have gotten the 49" model! Not once did he mention this. The absolute..various swear words this site will bleep out.

Waiting for em to open at 11, but I've heard Currys charge a 10% return fee.

Don't those buggers work on commission as well?! Man's a muppet.

On a side note, 4K is super great for desktop use..gaming I'm not that impressed by (I just don't think it's all that much better), Civ VI though I nearly wept.

Oh, and happy new year ya filthy animals

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: I happened to find the first salesman in history who had no interest in making mo

the sales assistant might have needed to shift that model. He's not obliged to tell you about every product in the shop. He's not a mortgage advisor and bound by codes of conduct. If you don't ask why should he tell you? When I worked in retail if someone came in saying i want to buy X I sold them X, I didn't try to show them Y or Z unless they asked what alternatives there were. So if you didn't ask, I don't think you can blame the sales assistant.

Plus, as you say yourself, you were happy with it until you went looking for something better.

Top tip - once you've made your choice don't go looking elsewhere. The grass is always greener. Appreciate what you have.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: I happened to find the first salesman in history who had no interest in making mo

Gotta say, ik9000 is right. Once you've bought, to carry on looking is nearly always a surefire recipe for at a minimum, disappointment, and quire possibly, ire.

So don't carry on looking.

Research, decide what you need, factor in what you want, ignore fantasy options, decide if what it'll cost you is justified and either :-

- carry on looking for a better choice, better deal, .... OR
    - buy it, enjoy, and never, EVER look back.

Also, he's right about salesmen sometimes having incentives to sell you what they want to sell, not what suits your needs. Could be a model they have excess stock of, or a model about to be replaced, or .... etc. Don't take advide from salesmen. A good one will try his/her best to meet YOUR needs, but sadly, are often incentived to suit theirs, or their employers.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

fifty quid's a lot of money

work out what the % increase is over what you paid, the bloke might spend all his days selling to people with no money at all !!

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Don't those buggers work on commission as well?! Man's a muppet.
    From what I've read before, they get 'encouraged' to sell you accessories, like massively marked up HDMI cables etc, the extra £50 on the TV probably doesn't even make any more profit.

If you had asked for "advice" on TVs, maybe he would have shown you the 49", where as if the customer comes in wanting something, that's what they get.

Thanks

did they have the bigger model available in store for £50 more or is it only online? as if they had it instore then surely looking round the tv department you would have perhaps noticed it, or the salesman may have mentioned it. but they couldn't upsell you a product if they didn't have it in stock

also the other things people have mentioned may apply, they wanted to shift that model as they had loads of stock but little stock of the bigger one if they had it

if you have bought in store they don't necesarily need to take the item back unless it's faulty btw

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    the sales assistant might have needed to shift that model. He's not obliged to tell you about every product in the shop. He's not a mortgage advisor and bound by codes of conduct. If you don't ask why should he tell you? When I worked in retail if someone came in saying i want to buy X I sold them X, I didn't try to show them Y or Z unless they asked what alternatives there were. So if you didn't ask, I don't think you can blame the sales assistant.

Plus, as you say yourself, you were happy with it until you went looking for something better.

Top tip - once you've made your choice don't go looking elsewhere. The grass is always greener. Appreciate what you have.
    <mod edited>

Also, I went in for a sammy quantum dot, the Sony was recommended after I couldn't get a non-curved QD in the size I want, he's the one who sold me on it. But you know what..I've drank too much to keep this civil now. The Biffwaffle should have absolutely shown me all options if I was unsure, it's his god damn job, what sort of <mod removed> salesman were you?! You dazzle em with choice, make em feel bad for going for the slightly cheaper ones, but still educate em.

Oh and one last thing, it was from the same f-ing shop that the bigger TV was from. I just happened to catch it online

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Gotta say, ik9000 is right. Once you've bought, to carry on looking is nearly always a surefire recipe for at a minimum, disappointment, and quire possibly, ire.

So don't carry on looking.

Research, decide what you need, factor in what you want, ignore fantasy options, decide if what it'll cost you is justified and either :-

- carry on looking for a better choice, better deal, .... OR
    - buy it, enjoy, and never, EVER look back.

Also, he's right about salesmen sometimes having incentives to sell you what they want to sell, not what suits your needs. Could be a model they have excess stock of, or a model about to be replaced, or .... etc. Don't take advide from salesmen. A good one will try his/her best to meet YOUR needs, but sadly, are often incentived to suit theirs, or their employers.
    It was accidental, I was looking for a TV stand ha

Oh and he tried to sell me an 80 quid HDMI cable. I actually had a lot of fun playing dumb for that one. Apparently the 4K signal becomes corrupt if you don't have the right cable, and could mean things like the movies not coming out right, AND EVEN DAMAGING THE DISCS

I thought I was gonna piss myself laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    did they have the bigger model available in store for £50 more or is it only online? as if they had it instore then surely looking round the tv department you would have perhaps noticed it, or the salesman may have mentioned it. but they couldn't upsell you a product if they didn't have it in stock

also the other things people have mentioned may apply, they wanted to shift that model as they had loads of stock but little stock of the bigger one if they had it

if you have bought in store they don't necesarily need to take the item back unless it's faulty btw
    No, in store, they just never shown me. And I phoned today, they have 15 in stock. I'm heartbroken. I spoke to a lovely lass who just said package it up, reset it, bring it back, and blaf your bollocks off, you should get away with it.

But with the 49" a bracked will be needed..an £80 bracket...so this whole thing is kinda..in the air.

I love this TV but it doesn't feel like an upgrade purely because it's the same size near enough

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    fifty quid's a lot of money

work out what the % increase is over what you paid, the bloke might spend all his days selling to people with no money at all !!
    I am on RELLY good money atm, and while most of it is going on other people (missus died 4 years ago, put my life on hold, so I've been paying everyone back and buying stuff for folks), after xmas now all my money is my own. I can't say this without sounding like a bellend but I made over £350/h
    Last edited by peterb; 02-01-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Merge multiple consecutive posts

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Tunnah, having a rant is one thing, using words our swear filter removes is something else, so please don't.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

<post mostly negated by the above>
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Tunnah, having a rant is one thing, using words our swear filter removes is something else, so please don't.
    That's fair enough but if the swear filter catches em...why remove it ?

But ya OK my bad. Hexus is my least used forum, and only one with a swear filter, I forgets meself sometimes

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I was a very good salesman. Got a lot of custom for just being honest and not having an agenda. Even won some manufacturer awards when some anonymous "secret shoppers" came in one day. My boss loved that. Anyway, I have a much better job these days, that was just my Saturday job when I was at school. Enjoy your TV.
    Last edited by ik9000; 01-01-2017 at 07:16 PM.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

That's fair enough but if the swear filter catches em...why remove it ?

But ya OK my bad. Hexus is my least used forum, and only one with a swear filter, I forgets meself sometimes
    If the filter triggers, it shows intent by the user, so we remove it. It is the final backstop, we expect community members to exercise restraint and act within the forum rules.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Oh and he tried to sell me an 80 quid HDMI cable. I actually had a lot of fun playing dumb for that one.
    Ahh good, glad to see they are still true to form.

Apparently the 4K signal becomes corrupt if you don't have the right cable, and could mean things like the movies not coming out right
    True. If you use an older HDMI spec cable, it might not be able to handle full 4K throughput.

If you use a cheap HDMI cable, it might also be true, simply because the protocol may fail to negotiate the connection correctly.

AND EVEN DAMAGING THE DISCS
    Oh, now thats a good one!

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    It's those cheap foreign cables, coming over here, stealing our connections, damaging our discs. Putting our premium cables out of work. Nigel down the pub, he'll tell you all about it... just look for the chap in the barber jacket and poor conversational manners.

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I was a very good salesman. Got a lot of custom for just being honest and not having an agenda. Even won some manufacturer awards when some anonymous "secret shoppers" came in one day. My boss loved that. Anyway, I have a much better job these days, that was just my Saturday job when I was at school. Enjoy your TV.
    Listen mate I'm sorry, I'd had a skinful, I meant to come off playful, O obviously came off like a I'm not even sure what word I can use. Tit. Can I say tit ? That's a genuine question admins please don't ban me

Just realised you edited your post to remove your calling out of me, it's fine mate you should have left it in, you were bang on on your assessment of me. I'm not a charming drunk, I;m one of those window licking ones who starts fights with his own reflection. So ya, my bad.

But also you don't get off scott free, I never went school, so I have an excuse to suck at grammar and language

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    Ahh good, glad to see they are still true to form.

True. If you use an older HDMI spec cable, it might not be able to handle full 4K throughput.

If you use a cheap HDMI cable, it might also be true, simply because the protocol may fail to negotiate the connection correctly.

Oh ya that one I know, I do need a high speed capable cable..I think. It's like £3 it's no biggie if I'm wrong
    Last edited by peterb; 02-01-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts

16. Received thanks from:

sammyc (02-01-2017)

Thanks
    • hb904460's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD A6-5400K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 @ 1866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 240gb Crucial mx500 + 500gb WD Caviar Blue
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoEco 620W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone PS07
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VA2037m

Sorry, i am not up to speed on the legal side, but if you are not happy with your purchase and it is within 14 days why dont you just return it? Maybe they will waive the restocking fee if you purchase a different tv from them? There is no harm in asking and there is little point sticking with something you are unhappy with, especially when you will look at it for many hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information