• PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Re: Should we eat chicken ?

RE: SUBWAY

Im sure there was a Reddit AMA from a Subway employee who was high up in the chain.

Who pretty much said the ingredients that is used in Subway isn't fresh as its made out to be. Amongst other things, if I can find it, I'll link it.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Weren't Subway in the news a few weeks ago because their chicken was only about 50% chicken?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Weren't Subway in the news a few weeks ago because their chicken was only about 50% chicken?
    You mean it was Subpar??

Gets coat\.

4. Received thanks from:

Output (10-03-2017)

Thanks

Looks like the scientists are questioning the test results according to this https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...its-100-weird/

Whether it's true or not has no relevance in the UK.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    I don't like the bland supermarket sandwiches at all. If it taste crap then does it really what if sandwich factory has an accurately controlled scoop filling? I tend to find Pret sandwiches generously filled compared to the supermarket's where is the filling hunt.
    Additives
    Flavour enhancers
    Stabilisers
    Preservatives
    Colourings
    Flavourings

none of these have to be listed by Pret or Subway, or your local sandwich person, and it has nothing to do with a scoop sizing, though that IS important for fat control in a proper brand where calories DO have to be listed.

If a food is made on premises and sold within 4 hours, it needs not have a food dec. And therefore, sadly for you, you don't know what's going in the sandwich

(nowt to do with red tractor, this part... I'm talking chemicals, following the opening posters concern over what's in his food, and what's in your food from Subway- shame you've not eaten Pret in a number of years. You could ask the store manager for a full list of all additives.
    I'd bet you were pointed to their website.. which has none of them listed.

Sandwichs in a supermarket Do have to list them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    Additives
    Flavour enhancers
    Stabilisers
    Preservatives
    Colourings
    Flavourings

<snip> </snip>

Sandwichs in a supermarket Do have to list them all.
    Considering supermarket sandwiches are on the shelves for days, if not weeks perhaps years, it's not surprising they need to list all of their ingredients. Why would Pret add chemicals to their sandwiches if they are made fresh every day? I would hasten to add supermarket sandwiches are likely to be full of chemicals in order to increase their shelf life.

I prefer a generously filled sandwich rather than the tight fisted fillings found in supermarket sandwiches. If you like bland sandwiches then I heartily recommend supermarket's.

I rarely have no need to buy sandwiches at all. I prefer to make them myself. Yesterday, I made a nice toasted panini with mozzarella, home made pesto, and serrano ham filling which was equally as good as the one from an authentic Italian cafe and made by someone who has been touted as the next Pablo Picasso. However, if I were to buy a sandwich then Pret rules supreme over supermarket bland sandwiches every time.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Considering supermarket sandwiches are on the shelves for days, if not weeks perhaps years, it's not surprising they need to list all of their ingredients. Why would Pret add chemicals to their sandwiches if they are made fresh every day? I would hasten to add supermarket sandwiches are likely to be full of chemicals in order to increase their shelf life.
    They're typically on the shelf for a day at most. Sandwiches won't last weeks regardless of type, and anything with salad in has a shelf life measured in hours not days.

I would also point out that all food is made of chemicals, since everything is.

If you think any commercial scale operation is going to sell you food without additives, you're deluding yourself. The bread and condiments will be full of them at the very least (which is also where the majority are in a supermarket sandwich).

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    They're typically on the shelf for a day at most. ....
    This. Very few fresh products last more than a couple of days. Even products like pork pies, which are relatively hardy, last less than 2 weeks. Puff pastry products like sausage rolls don't get much more than a week. And those are the "at factory" dates - the store shelf lives are generally several days shorter than that.

Look at it this way - if you go through a supermarket and pick up bread, and cooked meats, and pre-prepared salads, and condiments, and sandwich fillings, and sauces, and have a read of the ingredients of all of those items individually, you'll get something very close to the ingredient list on a supermarket sandwich. So why would you think that a Pret sandwich would be any different? Do you honestly think that, at every Pret in the country, someone makes mayo and salad cream fresh every morning? That they bake fresh bread in store? That they boil their own eggs fresh every morning?

Every Pret would need a gargantuan industrial kitchen to manage the preparation of all their products from fresh ingredients every day. It's simply not realistic. They'll take deliveries of pre-prepared sandwich fills, salads, sauce etc. and at most put them together by hand. But the ingredients will basically be the same - as others have mentioned, the only difference is that the supermarket has to list them all, whereas Pret don't...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    They're typically on the shelf for a day at most. Sandwiches won't last weeks regardless of type, and anything with salad in has a shelf life measured in hours not days.
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/prod.../?id=264265944

Well this Tesco sandwich has a life for more than 2+ days. Not exactly measured in hours, is it now?

Sorry chaps, I stick to Pret every time over the chemically bland supermarket sandwiches made by robots. Well that's if I decide to buy a sandwich in the first place. I don't think Pret is perfect, though I expect further refinement in due course, but it's massive improvement on supermarket sandwiches.

Any surplus sandwiches on Pret's shelves at the end of the day are given to the homeless. Supermarkets can't really make the same claim during the past decade.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Any surplus sandwiches on Pret's shelves at the end of the day are given to the homeless. Supermarkets can't really make the same claim during the past decade.
    Sadly they're not allowed to.

Search Results
    Charity support | Pret A Manger
    https://www.pret.com/en-us/our-charity-partners
    We're pleased to be working with charities that help us donate our fresh, natural food to various food banks and shelters across the cities in which we operate

sadly that link is dead now as they couldn't do what they said

(Supermarkets do now give much food to the food banks, but sandwichs cant often be in that as they're not safe to give away after their date)

but they do support homeless shelters and so forth with funds and with food supplies (fresh) and chef help etc
    https://www.pret.co.uk/en-gb/charities-and-projects
    they used to give as you say but they had to stop.

Let's be utterly clear. Pret make lovely sandwich AND they help charity
    I'm not a Subway fan - I can taste junk food and its junk.

In both cases they likely do use many additives and you will never find out what they are, unless you work for them or are a supplier.

I just worry that people think that seeing something being made makes them think they know what's in it. Because each ingredient is not fresh. Mayo, pickle, bread, spreads.. the list in endless

Luckily this thread is still in good humour and I thank everyone for that

Considering supermarket sandwiches are on the shelves for days, if not weeks perhaps years,

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

That's a heck of a lot of seasoning for a "fat free" burger. Why would you want something that's fat free with added sugar if you are working out regularly anyway? I find sugar is the devils food when it comes to eating before or after gym sessions, but can't get enough of the stuff during a day long cycle!
    I think you answered your own question really. "Working out" isn't just resistance training, and there are time where it can provide a fast boost of energy. Okay, granted, a burger is probably not the best format for that when you want a quick boost of sugar when working out, but there is definitely a time for it.

I wanted my son to have full fat milk at school. It wasn't allowed after a certain age (bear in mind I'm PAYING for milk..it's not free) without a letter from the doctor, because our government decided that semi skimmed was better.

so I agree that fat is good. but the pressure groups are getting their own way. This thread started because someone has fed the opening poster a load of ...well...cods wallop
    I would like an explanation as to why you think full fat is better than semi-skimmed (taste preference excluded). Certainly if it is one or the other, I am going to have to side with the government on this one.

I am not part of the "all fat are evil brigade". Far from it. But I think that there are better sources of fat than milk (sources containing more monounsaturated/polyunsaturated fat to saturated fat ratio). And unlike most "fat free" or "low fat" processed food, there is no trade off with carbs. So whether it is to substitute it for better fat, or as part of a plan to decrease caloric intake, there is no great loss in going semi-skimmed.

--------------------------------------------------------

As for Pret/Subway/supermarkets I may have my preferences when it comes to taste, but I doubt there is really going to be a huge difference between them in terms of healthiness.

Thanks

Sadly they're not allowed to.

Search Results
    Charity support | Pret A Manger
    https://www.pret.com/en-us/our-charity-partners
    We're pleased to be working with charities that help us donate our fresh, natural food to various food banks and shelters across the cities in which we operate

sadly that link is dead now as they couldn't do what they said

(Supermarkets do now give much food to the food banks, but sandwichs cant often be in that as they're not safe to give away after their date)

but they do support homeless shelters and so forth with funds and with food supplies (fresh) and chef help etc
    https://www.pret.co.uk/en-gb/charities-and-projects
    they used to give as you say but they had to stop.
    According to this link they still provide free sandwiches to the homeless as they have done for many years.

https://www.pret.co.uk/en-gb/pret-charity-run

I still see supermarkets throwing food away. So what may have been announced in the news doesn't reflect the reality in the stores.

Let's be utterly clear. Pret make lovely sandwich AND they help charity
    I'm not a Subway fan - I can taste junk food and its junk.
    I'm not much of a Subway fan either but it's still a step above supermarket sandwiches and you do have the opportunity to overload the sandwich with extra salad which counts for your five a day.

Yeah Pret rules supreme over supermarket sandwiches, no doubt about it.

In both cases they likely do use many additives and you will never find out what they are, unless you work for them or are a supplier.

I just worry that people think that seeing something being made makes them think they know what's in it. Because each ingredient is not fresh. Mayo, pickle, bread, spreads.. the list in endless
    I'd definitely say there are few additives in Pret's food. For example the entire range of baked goods (this include bloomer bread) have no additives whatsoever apart from normal sliced bread, according to the Grocer, the magazine for the trade.

Luckily this thread is still in good humour and I thank everyone for that :.
    No problem, as long as you don't bring Alison in Wonderland arguments in place of informative debate, facts and knowledge like someone has done on another thread. I think this thread still have lots of mileage left. I managed to find the documentary on chickens dated 2004.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I think you answered your own question really. "Working out" isn't just resistance training, and there are time where it can provide a fast boost of energy. Okay, granted, a burger is probably not the best format for that when you want a quick boost of sugar when working out, but there is definitely a time for it.
    Yeah that's my point. If I want sugar, say during endurance cycling my go to is jelly, the blocks for 'cooking' with, super cheap and powerful quick hit. I've never wanted sugar say one burger cooking length time after exercise. Rather my body might be wanting it but my head knows I shouldn't have it.

I just don't get why you would need sugar in a burger. Why it's a good thing at all, as it's easy enough to get that with a sauce (and imsho, far more worth it).

Instead if I've been doing any exercise, cardio or resistance, I like making my own burgers with extra egg and blue cheese, it's the salt I think I also crave post exercise. I just vacuum seal and freeze them, I use grease paper meant for dim sum to separate them, that's a lazy pro tip there.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Don't let the anti's / vegans get to you.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7636871.html

yeah yeah, context &c, this isn't a moral thread. just a small topical contrib. letting the vegans get to you = optional.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post

I would like an explanation as to why you think full fat is better than semi-skimmed (taste preference excluded). Certainly if it is one or the other, I am going to have to side with the government on this one.

I am not part of the "all fat are evil brigade". Far from it. But I think that there are better sources of fat than milk (sources containing more monounsaturated/polyunsaturated fat to saturated fat ratio). And unlike most "fat free" or "low fat" processed food, there is no trade off with carbs. So whether it is to substitute it for better fat, or as part of a plan to decrease caloric intake, there is no great loss in Going semi-skinned
    There are a number of vitamins in milk that are fat soluble, so full fat milk for children might be better for them. I also find that skimmed milk keeps less well than semi or full fat milk. The proportions of full/semi and skimmed milk are 4% 2% and 1% fat anyway so although skimmed contains "half the fat" it is half of a fairly small number to start with.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

I just don't get why you would need sugar in a burger.
    Well, it is pre-seasoned and it is probably done for the taste. But Zak33 seem to have taken a dislike to the store just on the basis of the name, the truth is that this burger only contains 1g of sugar per 100g, yeah it might be 3x more than Tesco's finest, but it is hardly diabetes inducing, and it -is- significantly leaner (30x less saturated fat). This isn't a case of "We'll take out 10g of fat, but add 30g of sugar".

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    There are a number of vitamins in milk that are fat soluble, so full fat milk for children might be better for them. I also find that skimmed milk keeps less well than semi or full fat milk. The proportions of full/semi and skimmed milk are 4% 2% and 1% fat anyway so although skimmed contains "half the fat" it is half of a fairly small number to start with.
    Two points I'd like to make:

1. There are two fat soluble vitamins present in milk: D (when fortified) and to a much lesser extent, A. So yes, there is some incentive, which is why I would go semi-skimmed rather than skimmed.. if I wasn't throwing nuts into my breakfast as I am.

2. 4%, fat is still 5g of saturated fat per serving. Might not sounds like a lot, but it is roughly (source varies) a quarter of saturated fat we should aim for. Now if the rest of your meal is pretty lean, or if milk is your primary source of fat, then it might not be such a big issue, but it isn't that hard for it to add up. And I am not just referring to commonly available junk food, but also if you opt for other source monounsaturated/polyunsaturated fat like nuts, avocado, fatty fish (some of which are very rich in vitamin D), etc. will still add up the amount of saturated fat. And here is the thing, while it is relatively easy to have access to low fat milk, it is pretty hard to separate fat from just about everything else (except egg depending on how you like them).
    Last edited by TooNice; 19-03-2017 at 03:42 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information