Thread: CCTV and problems with CCTV...

Thanks

CCTV and problems with CCTV...

So, lets say you own a business, you might have a tiny office with 2 cameras or a warehouse with 30 cameras. But lets say someone breaks in and steals your CCTV box. No evidence of what happened, what time it happened etc.

What things could you do to prevent theft of the CCTV DVR ?

I'm thinking it needs a UPS in the case the thieves are clever enough to cut the power. A UPS for the internet would also be needed so you can view the robbery on the CCTV as it happens.

I was thinking a stream of movie to an offsite backup, but 20 HD cameras streaming over an internet line 24x7 is a LOT of data and bandwidth.

SUMMONER

Re: CCTV and problems with CCTV...

My cameras have motion detection enabled after hours. This means that they will send 3 screenhots (1 every second) as an attachment to my email address, every time they detect motion after 8:00pm on weekdays or any time on weekends.

Many modern NVRs also have cloud storage links built-in, meaning that they will upload screenshots or even short videos of motion events to a linked GoogleDrive/Dropbox/ftp server/propitiatory cloud storage account by the cctv maker.

It definitely helps to put the NVR in a place where no one will easily find it. As long as you are using modern wireless/Ethernet cameras you can literally place the NVR anywhere where you can place a power and a network socket, including above a false office ceiling, where no one will look for it. Also, never ever use Homeplugs/Powerline adapters to connect a NVR to the network, they are far too unreliable (random disconnects every few weeks/months).

Personally I haven't bothered with an UPS, but connecting the VDSL modem, router and the POE switch for the cameras to one is easy (requires on of these) and reasonably cheap to do (£100 to £250 depending on make/model/capacity of UPS).
    Last edited by SUMMONER; 14-03-2017 at 10:59 PM.

3. Received thanks from:

MrComputerSaint (19-03-2017)

Thanks

I would imagine there are also DVR's with LTE/4G failover connectivity so you dont have to worry about the internet connection.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

5. Received thanks from:

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quite a few cameras can be selected with on-board storage as well (micro SD usually) so if you're really paranoid you could have local recordings kept in the cameras, plus the DVR, then whatever option you go with offloading that.

Personally I think the days of the DVR are over, given the availability of NAS units etc. Much easier to get those doing realtime backups and/or replications elsewhere.

7. Received thanks from:

Thanks

I can't find DVR's with 4G capability, but a 4G modem/router would certainly be good for that or a router with WAN connection and 4G failover. The mentioned router connected to the UPS (as well as the DVR/NVR or camera power source) that'd have a good power capacity so the thieves didn't just have to wait for 10 minutes until the UPS died, although you could have an automatic start-up generator to keep the power going too.
    Also, have some local security company that'd come out with MP5's and helicopters to check no-one is stealing the data / things.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

One rather neat solution to this problem that a friend uses is that he has all his cameras setup to the DVR (which are all analogue), but then has a single IP camera covering the DVR itself looking offsite. His logic is that this way even if the thieves come for the DVR which they likely will...he will capture them doing so, get a motion alert and that footage will be safe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    One rather neat solution to this problem that a friend uses is that he has all his cameras setup to the DVR (which are all analogue), but then has a single IP camera covering the DVR itself looking offsite. His logic is that this way even if the thieves come for the DVR which they likely will...he will capture them doing so, get a motion alert and that footage will be safe
    That is a good idea, as long as it has power.

One other thought was to build an actual brick structure to house the DVR in. This way they'd need to bring some sledge hammers to get the DVR it's self.

Or even organise with your neighbour to house the DVR in their building, but that'd open a can of very wriggly worms.

SUMMONER

Put the DVR inside the housing of an old VCR and plonk a crt TV on top of it. No burglar will pay any attention to it.

12. Received thanks from:

MrComputerSaint (23-03-2017)

Thanks

I would be curious as to how many of these crimes are inside jobs, ex-employees, etc.
    If you're going to hide or disguise the security equipment, it's worth assuming that any potential criminal will know about it.

Thanks

I think UPS is the best option for you.

But I suggest an other option is that you keep one security guard to control the crimes

Thread Information