• Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Re: Exit Poll WOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Whos up for another GE chaps?
    It annoys me that this is the likely outcome.

None of the parties put together a position that the majority (even the warped FPTP definition of majority,) of voters wanted. What should happen now is a meeting of minds, talks between parties and compromises made between them (this does not have to mean a formal coalition, could be bill by bill.)
    What will happen is a few weeks or months of childish bickering before they ask us to try again and get the answer right this time.

They are supposed to provide solutions that are acceptable to the electorate, not the other way around.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

And all the while, the time is ticking for the Brexit negotiations; the EU must be loving this.

It is interesting that the LibDem's were offering the middle ground, but I wonder if their Brexit stance helped or hindered them; I suspect it might have helped in individual seats but hindered them overall. I haven't seen the voting percentages yet.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
    And all the while, the time is ticking for the Brexit negotiations; the EU must be loving this..
    All aboard the hard brexit train CHOO CHOO!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Paul Nuttall's quitting as leader of UKIP after failing to get any seats.

He mentioned something about going on to manage FC Barcelona or something.

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Surely TM constant ramblings about strong and stable, the result of the elections should be enough to show her that the public isn't beside her as much as she thought they were?

She should stand down.

Get Jezza in. The mans stood his ground and done well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
    I haven't seen the voting percentages yet.
    Going on the BBC results page the Lib Dems lost 0.5%, Conservatives gained 5.5%, Labour gained 9.5%, SNP lost 1.7%, and UKIP lost 10.8%

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post

And before anyone says there was a need for a referendum it's worth remembering that UKIP only received 2.2%, 3.1%, and 12.6% share of the vote, the referendum was IMO called for purely party political reasons just like this election was called for party political reasons.
    Huh?

UKIP got those percentages in what? I'm sure you know what you meant, but it isn't clear from that.

You also seem to be conveniently forgetting that UKIP came first in the last (2014) EU elections, forcing Kabourvinto second and the Tories into third.

And, of course, at the last General Election, which I assume is what one of your stats refers to, the vote was held on a series of manifesto commitments, one of which was to hold that referendum.

So .... has it occurred to you that in a vote which is about a whole series of issues, as any general election is, that that manifesto promise may have changed how some voters voted, inducing some who otherwise would have voted UKIP to vote Tory because of that manifesto promise.

What you're suggesting is that having induced those voters to the tory fold in the GE, with a referendum promise that having won, there's no justification for honouring it other than naked party advantage. That completely ignores the reality, which is that prior to the 2015 election, Cameron kept saying, ad nauseam, that the ONLY way to get a referendum was to vote Tory, not UKIP, and that some people voted Tory entirely because of thag, thereby reducing the UKIP vote.

Then there's the age-old argument .... the people have NEVER been asked if we wanted to be in the EU. We joined a Common Market, not an EU.

Are we really going to rehash the EU referendum yet again? Fact is, we held one, the result was Leave.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Surely TM constant ramblings about strong and stable, the result of the elections should be enough to show her that the public isn't beside her as much as she thought they were?

She should stand down.

Get Jezza in. The mans stood his ground and done well.
    Yep, we ought to get Jezza in. I mean, never mind that he lost in terms of votes, lost in terms of percentage, lost in terms of seats. Let's just ignore all tne actual results.

In fact, why bother with this election malarkey, when we could just ask you?

Or better yet, I'll decide. Of course, you might not like my choice but seeing as you don't seem to want to bother with actual election results, oh well.

Thanks

No idea what to make of all this. There was no particular outcome I was hoping for this time (well, maybe, just maybe a Lib-Dem come back but I had next to no expectation for that). I wasn't convinced by the direction the UK was heading, and post election I don't think it's going to be better nor worse. Feeling pretty apathetic overall, and really thinking that my long term home will end up elsewhere.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    .... and really thinking that my long term home will end up elsewhere.
    Need help carrying your bags? I'm a pretty good cook, too.

Thanks

The Tories now trying to form a coalition government with the DUPs smacks of hypocrisy when you consider they were accusing Labour of a partnership with the SNPs during the 2015 election. #ToryHypocracy

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    The Tories now trying to form a coalition government with the DUPs smacks of hypocrisy when you consider they were accusing Labour of a partnership with the SNPs during the 2015 election. #ToryHypocracy
    Depends how they announce/describe it.
    Elections are about ONE thing - Who gets into power.
    This is why Labour were making so many impossible promises for things they would never be able to deliver - They don't care. They want power and will say whatever they think you want to hear to get your vote.
    Why do you think LibDems were on about how they were going to legalise cannabis? Who in their right mind would vote that in for the British public, Hmm?

Thanks

Last edited by Jonj1611; 09-06-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Jon

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    ... This is why Labour were making so many impossible promises for things they would never be able to deliver ...
    Sorry, what were they going to be unable to deliver? They at least had proper costings in their manifesto. If they'd got a majority in parliament they'd've been able to deliver every single one of those promises. Whether they would have delivered them is another matter, but they'd costed them and had plans in place for delivering them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    ... Why do you think LibDems were on about how they were going to legalise cannabis? ...
    Maybe they suggested that because pretty much everyone who works in the field, including the government's own expert advisors, thinks it's a good idea? In terms of both personal and social harm use of cannabis is less damaging than either alcohol or tobacco. There is no pragmatic reason for cannabis to be illegal and alcohol and tobacco to be legal. It's actually a very sensible policy (as well as being revenue-generating through taxation/duties).

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Perhaps the Queen should step in for a couple of years! Send all the politicians home to think about what they have done.
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    No idea what to make of all this. There was no particular outcome I was hoping for this time (well, maybe, just maybe a Lib-Dem come back but I had next to no expectation for that). I wasn't convinced by the direction the UK was heading, and post election I don't think it's going to be better nor worse. Feeling pretty apathetic overall, and really thinking that my long term home will end up elsewhere.
    I agree with this. I think my age has knocked a few points of my eligibility for Canada or Australia now, so probably won't have enough any more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Are we really going to rehash the EU referendum yet again? Fact is, we held one, the result was Leave.
    OMG yes. Theresa May decided to hold an election to gain a Brexit mandate and has failed big time. We all know the EU referendum was poorly conducted irrespective on what side you were on. What is significant about this campaign was the right wing media, who fought a nasty campaign against Corbyn, had failed to influence this election. There was a joke on Radio 5 that if the Labour HQ was nuclear bombed, Corbyn would walk out unscathed. The crown for Corbyn is to dispose the real PM Rupert Murdoch. Theresa May, David Cameron, Tony Blair, John Major and Margaret Thatcher were mere puppets. Only a free and fair press means the UK can move forward as a nation.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information