Thread: Computer chairs and your posture

Thanks

Computer chairs and your posture

I was wondering how much posture support your computer chairs give you, I have a back problem which has just been refferred to another physiotherapist after moving house. After a lengthy consult he has helped me to realise just how important good seating is to a healthy back.

I own one of those viking £30 specials, it looks impressive and is very comfy, however it gives my back very little in the way of support, particularly in the lumbar region, something that has been contributing to my injury (at its worst I lose feeling in my arms as displaced vertebrae put pressure on the brachial nerves)

I have just purchased some posture support cushions to try and remedy the problem, and it does feel a lot better with some support in the kidney area.

So, is YOUR back supported?
    Recycling consultant

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants
    Quote Originally Posted by mgh0
    I was wondering how much posture support your computer chairs give you, I have a back problem which has just been refferred to another physiotherapist after moving house. After a lengthy consult he has helped me to realise just how important good seating is to a healthy back.

I own one of those viking £30 specials, it looks impressive and is very comfy, however it gives my back very little in the way of support, particularly in the lumbar region, something that has been contributing to my injury (at its worst I lose feeling in my arms as displaced vertebrae put pressure on the brachial nerves)

I have just purchased some posture support cushions to try and remedy the problem, and it does feel a lot better with some support in the kidney area.

So, is YOUR back supported?
    Yes, I have a lumbar support which I have had since i damaged my back when I was 18, although i don't use it at work, but that's because i've re-taught myself to sit up straight.

When I'm sitting on the sofa, i've always got to have a cushion under my lumbar region as it puts too much strain on it otherwise.

Taz
    Thanks
    • Taz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z270 HD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 7600K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R Vengeance LPX 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO M.2-2280 500GB (PCIe) + 1TB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (SATA)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS550M 550W Hybrid
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source 340
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 34" Asus Designo Curve MX34VQ UWQHD Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media M350
    I've got a fairly good high-back leather chair in my study. It's got lumbar control (similar to that you find in car seats) and even the armrests can be moved up or down to get a good sitting position. A good posture is extremely important and it's worth investing in very good chairs if you have the disposable cash available. A very good one will cost £400+. Non-leather posture support chairs can be had for £250+.

However, since I started going to the gym, i've focussed on 'core' body development (the central part of your body). To that end, i've invested in a gym ball (Swill ball) and a wobble cushion. I sit on the gym ball and put my feet on the wobble cushion. I get a very effective core body workout just for using my PC. My back and stomach muscles are always tense as my body is continually trying to balance my legs on the wobble cushion. The gym ball and the wobble cushion can be picked up for a total of around £30 from medical supplies or fitness Web sites.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz
    The gym ball and the wobble cushion can be picked up for a total of around £30 from medical supplies or fitness Web sites.
    Thats a brilliant idea, I shall ask my physio if that would help me out.
    Recycling consultant

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre
    Currently.. no, I bought a new chair the other day though, with extra lumbar support, linky: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7581002825

Reason for buying was because of the chair I have now.. the arm keeps falling off and I've taped it up and everything - decided I wanted a nice leather chair.

Thanks
    Get an Aeron, the daddy of all chairs.

Thanks
    OMG @ how expensive those Aeron chairs are.
    Recycling consultant

Rys
    Tiled
    Thanks
    When I bought my current office chair, I spent quite a lot of time sitting on Aerons and other similarly priced stuff. Nice chairs in the way they're built and feel, but like anything that's tailored to the human body, one size doesn't fit all.

I couldn't find one that gave me the support I wanted, and since I sit in one all day for work I needed something that best fit.

Ended up getting a fairly inexpensive chair from Staples, precisely because it was best for my body shape and the way I sit. Big brand and big price doesn't necessarily mean big thumbs up from your body.
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

Thread Information