Hi. i'm planning on buying my next proper next-gen console next month (after my old PS2 and my Wii) and i want some expert guidance and advice as to what console is best and i have a few questions in mind and some ideas i have on both consoles:
1. which console seems to be be the quietest one and one that has the quietest fan?
2. which console has the upper hand in game controllers regradless if its wired or wireless? (in terms of feel and battery life) does both uses AA batteries? how far can you place them in front of the console? ease of use and "compatibility with games" e.g. a PS3 controller might be better with fighting games whereas the Xbox360 it might be better with shooters.
3. when it comes to downloading a game with the Xbox 360 you can play it straight away whereas with the PS3 you need to install it then restart the game/console which i think is pointless. is this true?
4.. which one comes out with firmware or software updates to their consoles more often? and which console lets you install updates quicker and not needing to restart the console everytime? and do you need to be a "member" in order to download firmware updates?
5.. in general terms which console loads a game much faster than the other one?
6. i'm not fuzzy when it comes to graphics that much when it comes to graphical strenghth (both in numbers/theory and in real-time) which one is better? in this apsect i have heard the PS3's own 1st-party games have better graphics than 360's own. is this true?
7.. would having an "N" standard built-in wi-fi (like the 360) be an advantage with just being a "B" and a "G"?
8. would also having bluetooth be an advantage? like pairing with another device, etc. and which console have it?
9. when it comes to video and audio format support which console supports Divx, Xvid, AVI and MKV (for video) & Flac (for audio) respectively?
10. which console offers movies and the ability to download apps like say Facebook or an online radio, etc.? or catch-up TV services?
11. which console has the most user-friendly interface? the XMB or the NXE? (one with less clutter, simplier to surf/scan files without going back to a menu, etc.)
12. why does Xbox 360 uses "Microsoft Points" and not real-life money unlike the PS3? don't you think that's odd? or expensive?
13. which console can you offer you the widest variety of back catalogue from not just it's predecessor but also from old consoles such as the Dreamcast, Sega saturn, etc.
14. can you surf the internet with the PS3 is this true? and does it support Flash? or websites such as Youtube? is Google Chrome incoming?
15. with the number of connections (standard + HDMI's) and having optical (and/or coaxial) outputs plus the usual USB's which one has the advantage?
* i had to ask this one as i have a 5.1 surround sound that can churn out Dolby via optical and coaxial inputs.
18. which console (and company) in your opinion offers a better customer and technical support for its loyal consumers and fans?
On my recent research this is the way i see it so far:
What i like about the 360:
1. it's cheaper than the PS3 Slim
2. External glossy body colour/finish is superb
3. apparently games loads faster when loaded from hard drive
4. NXE more friendlier/simplier/better menu system (than the PS3's XMB)
5. interchangeable hard drive(?)
6. cross party game chat
7. Divx and AVI compatibilty(?)
8. Better online experience than the PS3 (with cross party chat)
9. backward compatibilty with most original Xbox & 360 games.
what i like about PS3:
1. second-to none/excellent in-built BLU-ray player
2. outputs "true" Dolby Digital surround sound and true 1080p picture
3. less fan noise than the 360(?)
4. no RROD (unlike the 360)
5. Bluetooth capability (unlike 360)
6. Better 1st-party games IMHO (like Killzone, God of war, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, etc.)
7. totally free online experience
8. uses real-world currency in purchasing items (unlike 360's MS points)
9. Divx and AVI compatibilty (?)
10. Controller is "friendlier" to any type of hand and lasts a lot longer compared to 360
* charges for 30 minutes and lasts almost the whole day i heard.
downside: you need to charge it whilst the console is on.
11. has a multi-card reader (?)
12. 3D-ready!!!!! (but only if you have a 3D-capable TV which i don't)
13. more catch-up TV services like 4OD and ITV player
14. an internet browser (although far from being excellent i have heard of a rumour that they are bringing in Google Chrome and in turn might and could potentially pave the way for an Android market-style app store. that might be the final nail in the coffin for the 360 Slim).
what do you think guys?
can anyone else add to these lists please?
and am i correct in my assessments so far?