Thread: Dell Dimension 5150 graphic card ?

Registered+
    Thanks

Dell Dimension 5150 graphic card ?

Hello, I have a Dell Dimension 5150 computer, Intel pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz, 4.00 GB of memory(RAM), 32-bit Operating System and Windows 7 Home Premium installed. I am looking for a graphics card that support Direct X11 and Shader, to fit the x1 PCI Express card slot in this computer. My budget for this project is around $140.00 or less!. Could someone knowlegeable guide or help me with this project by letting me know what graphics cards are available, possibly NVidia brand.....Thank You, and have a good day.
    Last edited by frog1; 13-02-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelled the word " looking" wrong, and added the brand name of the card I am looking for.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Dell Dimension 5150 graphic card ?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Upgrades like this can be a bit of a minefield, but hopefully we can walk you safely through it.

Firstly you say you only have a x1 PCie socket. I think this is a trick that people like Dell pull to avoid you plugging a power thirsty card into the machine, which makes me wonder if the power supply is underpowered for a good card.

Next, I don't know the machine but a quick google shows low profile and normal versions of that model. Which one do you have?

If the machine is full height then there are adaptors you can buy, like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039XPS5W/

which uses the height difference between half and full height to give you a x16 connector to plug a card into. This is still wired up like a x1 port, so it won't be full speed, but then I doubt your PSU will take a fast enough card for that to really matter.

But first, what rating is your power supply, and is your PC the small form factor version or full width?

Registered+
    Thanks

Hello again this is a follow up to my previous reply.
    Subject: Is my PC small form factor version or full width?
    Answer: really I am not sure....enclosed is a URL link where you can view pictures of the motherboard I have in my Dell dimension 5150 computer.....and perhaps from the pictures you could tell the version.http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-dimens...50-5100-e510-b
    Thank You.
    Last edited by frog1; 14-02-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: The URL/link did not register in the reply only a quare with an red X in is showing.

Registered+
    Thanks

Not to forget..... my power supply is: maximum output....230 W.
    Thank You.

Registered+
    Thanks

This uses a standard full-height PCI-e card, but it's not worth spending money on upgrades.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twenty4seven View Post
    This uses a standard full-height PCI-e card, but it's not worth spending money on upgrades.
    Thank You for answering.....but why is not worth spending the money for the upgrades?

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by twenty4seven View Post
    That seems harsh, I think a new computer would be outside the $140 budget.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

OK, I can't follow the link, was it supposed to be:

http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-dimens...4delrd203.aspx

(I think this forum tries to stop new users from posting links so not surprised it went wrong).

That board seems to have a long x16 slot on it, is that missing from your machine?

230W is not very much for a P4 machine, so sometimes I think they make them with the x16 slot removed to make sure no-one plugs a big power hungry 150W card in, and then complaining the system doesn't boot.

So, thanks to the power supply you are looking at a bottom of the range graphics card I think. Unfortunately Dell sometimes use Dell specific power supplies so I can't even recommend a cheap power supply upgrade as I have no idea if it would work.

An AMD HD6450 card seems to use 31W, is available in low profile if you have to use a x1 to x16 adaptor, and gives you DirectX 11 support and a fair upgrade from Intel graphics.

If you want Nvidia, you will be looking at a GT210 which I have also seen listed as 31W (hope that site can be relied on but sounds about right). That is only DirectX 10, but I doubt you would see much difference.

The question remains of just how much performance you require. These low end cards really aren't very fast, but if you only want an update from the Intel graphics on your 945 chipset then it is a big step up.

If you are brave and have a steady hand, you can cut the end off the X1 motherboard slot and plug a X16 card in without using an adaptor.

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=53

May seem bonkers to have most of the pins not connected, but they are actually designed to work like that!

What games are you hoping to run?

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

That board has two black connectors on it, a short X1 connector and a long X16 connector. Do you not have the X16 one?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    OK, I can't follow the link, was it supposed to be:

http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-dimens...4delrd203.aspx

(I think this forum tries to stop new users from posting links so not surprised it went wrong).

That board seems to have a long x16 slot on it, is that missing from your machine?

230W is not very much for a P4 machine, so sometimes I think they make them with the x16 slot removed to make sure no-one plugs a big power hungry 150W card in, and then complaining the system doesn't boot.

So, thanks to the power supply you are looking at a bottom of the range graphics card I think. Unfortunately Dell sometimes use Dell specific power supplies so I can't even recommend a cheap power supply upgrade as I have no idea if it would work.

An AMD HD6450 card seems to use 31W, is available in low profile if you have to use a x1 to x16 adaptor, and gives you DirectX 11 support and a fair upgrade from Intel graphics.

If you want Nvidia, you will be looking at a GT210 which I have also seen listed as 31W (hope that site can be relied on but sounds about right). That is only DirectX 10, but I doubt you would see much difference.

The question remains of just how much performance you require. These low end cards really aren't very fast, but if you only want an update from the Intel graphics on your 945 chipset then it is a big step up.

If you are brave and have a steady hand, you can cut the end off the X1 motherboard slot and plug a X16 card in without using an adaptor.

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=53

May seem bonkers to have most of the pins not connected, but they are actually designed to work like that!

What games are you hoping to run?
    I already sent a reply to this thread....but it did not post...so I'm trying to respond this way:
    No...this MOBO does not have a long x16 slot.
    Yesterday I tried a good 300 W power unit....I get a continious blicking orange light when I press the front panel power button...and no boot up.
    My MOBO accept up to a P4 3.80 GHz chip....I wonder if a 3.80 GHz chip will allow a 300/350 or even a 400 Wattage power unit, as for cutting the x1 slot....wich end do I cut ....The one toward the front panel or the one facing the rear?.
    The game is: Microsoft Fligth Simulator X with the Accelerator Expansion Pack.
    In my computer.... in the "My pictures" folder I have 2 pictures of the Dell Dimension 5150 MOBO....is there any way I can attach those pictures to the thread....if so how do I go about it?
    Than You.
    Last edited by frog1; 15-02-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Did not properly spell the word "Pictures"

Thanks

Setup a http://photobucket.com/ account upload the pictures to photobucket and then link here.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

OK, so they didn't bother fitting the X16 connector because the PSU isn't very powerful, and they used a special Dell PSU so you can't upgrade it. *sigh*. This is why many of us don't like Dell.

Upgrading the CPU won't help unfortunately, in some ways it makes things worse as a faster CPU will pull more power from the PSU taking it closer to its limit.

How about this, a X1 video card that shouldn't take much power.

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Silence-Di...1&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Edit to fix link to product, not customer reviews.
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 15-02-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    That ATI RADEON should be it .....I'm going to get it ......Once again thanks for all the help you provided.

http://s1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ension%205150/

Those are the pictures of my Dell Dimension 5150 motherboard and thank you for telling me how to post picture in the Thread(s)
    Last edited by dave87; 15-02-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Merge

Thread Information