Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Mantle... work enough to rock your world and change your next Graphics Card?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Does Mantle... work enough to rock your world and change your next Graphics Card?

I'm intrigued... quite deeply intrigued

Does Mantle make large gains into performance and eyecandy really?

And if it does... will it effect your next card and force you into the AMD camp?

Plenty of games signing up.. but is it snake oil or does it really count

I have no idea... and I'm asking you lot. Is Mantle for real... or is it really clever Facebook Style "Like " marketing?

the boys thought not....
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17...-cpus-not-gpus

and Thief got better!
    http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/...o-patch-thief/

but would a patch of Thief have sorted it with AMD cards anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Does Mantle... work enough to rock your world and change your next Graphics Card?

In a nutshell "No"

But then I've historically purchased intel CPUs, which in a lot of cases negates the need for mantle.

Mantle is for budget builds and massive multi-GPU configs. Although after having crossfire twice, I doubt I'd ever want to try it a third time.

Things may change, if devs feel they have more CPU time to play with thanks to mantle/DX12 they may push more to the CPU but I expect low level APIs are already being used on XBox One and are we more likely to get an XBO port or a specially written version designed for mantle?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: Does Mantle... work enough to rock your world and change your next Graphics Card?

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    ... I expect low level APIs are already being used on XBox One and are we more likely to get an XBO port or a specially written version designed for mantle? ...
    IIRC, overhead for porting from XBO to Mantle is meant to be less than porting to DX11, and AMD are also meant to have released tools to make porting from Mantle to DX11 and DX12 easier, so it might end up being better for studios to port to Mantle then to DX11 and, eventually, to DX12 - particularly if porting to Mantle does do some of the work of porting to the other APIs; I am not a game dev and therefore cannot confirm or deny that

Ultuimately it would make no difference to my purchasing choices because I am sufficiently happy with a moderate level of graphical details and lower average framerates - most of my gaming is done on my laptop (A10-4600M) or HTPC (A6-3670K), neither of which have discrete graphics. I've just given my actual "gaming" machine to a mate who has health problems and struggles to use a game pad for long periods, so he can see whether keyboard/mouse is better for him; but that was only a low-power Phenom II (yes Zak, *that* low-power Phenom II ) and a Radeon 7750, so hardly a monster rig.

OTOH that does mean I'll generally be playing with kit at the end of the market where Mantle should make a difference, so the development of Mantle does matter to me: a lot depends on whether any games I want to play come out with Mantle support. None of my current rigs have GCN (and I didn't get round to testing the 7750 before I shipped it out) so it's a bit moot at the minute, but tbh I can't see me moving away from AMD APUs in the near future as they are pretty much the best fit for my use case. At that point I guess a lot will depend on how support is balanced between DX11, Mantle, and DX12. But if I was a gamer on a budget and the games I wanted to play had Mantle support, I'd definitely be considering an FX6300/8320 (not the 6350 or 8350 because with Mantle you shouldn't need the higher clock speed ) and a Radeon graphics card. But those games having Mantle support is a fairly big proviso, and actually impacts the choice of CPU more than the choice of GPU - even without Mantle the AMD card may well be better value than its nearest nvidia equivalent: Mantle (and DX12, when it arrives) simply means you can afford to drop to a cheaper, lower-clocked CPU without sacrificing performance.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    but that was only a low-power Phenom II (yes Zak, *that* low-power Phenom II )
    glad it's well and still using next to no power!

So.. in short.. Mantle makes mid to low range gaming rigs more effective on the Mantle games?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    glad it's well and still using next to no power!

So.. in short.. Mantle makes mid to low range gaming rigs more effective on the Mantle games?
    It just allows the GPU to be less bottlenecked by a slower CPU. Nothing more.
    It seems to have a lot of hype around it. Performance is nice. Free performance is even nicer. But it's probably not going to make a difference to many people on Hexus.

You need to have a game that supports it. You need to have an AMD card. You need a setup where the GPU is being bottlenecked.

Hopefully AMD support it for many years to come (that's my biggest worry) because it's a nice idea. I'd assume AMD are going to build around Mantle more and more as time goes on.

Keep in mind that nVidia are trying to hit back though with the simplier approach of better, more optimised drivers: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17...from-the-wings
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ... Keep in mind that nVidia are trying to hit back though with the simplier approach of better, more optimised drivers ...
    Hang on - NVidia have suddenly found 64% more performance from driver optimisations? How shoddy was their driver before that if the best they could do was only ~ 60% of the available performance? I smell shenanigans.... Plus driver optimisations are still going to depend on the power of the underlying system to get the additional performance: I'd be interested to see some comparisons of the new drivers under different sub-systems to see if they favour any particular platforms...

As to Mantle, it's very much about moving away from single thread performance as a key factor in game performance. DX11 still runs a lot of functionality in a single thread, which can bottleneck rendering, particularly on CPUs with lower single-threaded performance - i.e. AMD CPUs, currently. MS have already shown DX12 demos which spread that load across more threads, removing that bottleneck. Mantle does a similar thing: it spreads the work more evenly between multiple threads, reducing the reliance on single-threaded performance. MS have recognised this is important (particularly in their move towards mobile, where single thread performance is lower) and built it in to DX12. Mantle should work particularly well on low-end AMD CPUs like the Kabini-based AM1 platform, or the aforementioned Phenom II X4 905e (I'll try to talk my friend into running a couple of Mantle benchmarks - a 2.5GHz quad core should be a perfect target for Mantle lifting a CPU bottleneck), where a heavily loaded single thread could stall rendering.

Of course, the system would also have to have a sufficiently high-end GPU for the rendering bottleneck to fall back on the CPU: in a Kabini system using the onboard graphics that simply wouldn't be the case. So it's very situational.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

I would not change from AMD to nVidia for Mantle. I would change from nVidia to AMD IF there was sufficient evidence to suggest that AMD GPUs would outperform the equivalently priced nVidia GPUs, but the decision would be based on raw performance and not Mantle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Hang on - NVidia have suddenly found 64% more performance from driver optimisations? How shoddy was their driver before that if the best they could do was only ~ 60% of the available performance? I smell shenanigans....
    We've been seeing these kind of improvements from the beginning of GPU computing though. But this will be in a very specific situation. AMD (or ATI) have had the same sort of improvements too.
    All it takes is a new game, game engine, weird resolution, new intermediary language.....that does something different and the drivers could probably benefit from a change to make it faster.

Drivers will and will always have to react to the market.

Have nVidia managed a 64% performance increase? Probably - in an ideal situation where there was previously an issue. I personally saw a near 50% increase from a driver update which sorted an AA issue out in Eve. I saw much higher than that when swapping the Glide / 3DFX minidriver out for an optimised one in Unreal
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

It was SLI scaling in a game where SLI was broken IIRC.

HardOCP also said the GTX780TI max temperature with the newer drivers was increased to 87C meaning the GPU also boosts higher more consistently now.

Thanks
    • LtMatt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • 2700k@5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Samsung Green 2133 Mhz 9-10-10-21-1T
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 250GB Basic SSD +500GB WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x VTX 290P Reference Cards
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Platinum Superflower
      • Case:
      • Carbide 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM 27" IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Broadband 30MB

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    I'm intrigued... quite deeply intrigued

Does Mantle make large gains into performance and eyecandy really?

And if it does... will it effect your next card and force you into the AMD camp?

Plenty of games signing up.. but is it snake oil or does it really count

I have no idea... and I'm asking you lot. Is Mantle for real... or is it really clever Facebook Style "Like " marketing?

the boys thought not....
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17...-cpus-not-gpus

and Thief got better!
    http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/...o-patch-thief/

but would a patch of Thief have sorted it with AMD cards anyway?
    Mantle is great, the performance gains are real and in some cases they are big. Single card users will see less of a gain, but multi gpu users get a huge boost from Mantle. Remember Mantle is only beta at the moment and it's already swinging the pendulum back in favour of AMD. In BF4, Thief, PvZ and Battlefield Hardline my 290P crossfire setup beats out equivalent 780 SLI setups with ease. Those 780 setups probably cost nearly double what i paid for my 290 cards too. Mantle is not just about extra fps and alleviating cpu bottlenecks too, it also delivers a superior, smoother gaming experience compared to DirectX11. Quite simply, it's different gravy.

If you fancy seeing Mantle in action, check out my youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMattB81/videos

Thanks
    • dfour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair 8 Hero wifi
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700x
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Dark pro @3600
      • Storage:
      • sabrent and wd nvme + 3 TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Vega 64 Strix water cooled
      • PSU:
      • Fractal design Ion+ 760p
      • Case:
      • Lian Li 011D custom water cooled
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC agon 32" + Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Zen Fibre @72 meg

I found a 40% gain in frame rates on thief under mantle See my post (#26) in this thread

http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-news/3...ml#post3322321

This is with a 290x and a fx 8350 @4.7 gig @ 1440p so my systems not exactly mid level IMHO.

Registered+
    Thanks

Not enough games support it to sway me, I'd apply the same logic to the idea of switching from AMD to Nvidia just for PhysX.

I know it's not the same thing because Mantle is an API but D3D is still king by an enormous margin.

Registered+
    Thanks

From what I've read and my friedns with AMD cards tell me Mantle or No Mantle shouldn't be the thing to sway your choice of what card to get. That said it can't hurt.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by LtMatt View Post
    Mantle is not just about extra fps and alleviating cpu bottlenecks too, it also delivers a superior, smoother gaming experience compared to DirectX11. Quite simply, it's different gravy.
    Mantle is ALL about alleviating CPU bottlenecks. The smoother framerates are due to shoddy AMD drivers, nVidia owners never suffered the terrible frame-pacing issues that AMD are trying to fix in crossfire with Mantle....and should be fixing outside of Mantle also!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks

Mantle is ALL about alleviating CPU bottlenecks. The smoother framerates are due to shoddy AMD drivers, nVidia owners never suffered the terrible frame-pacing issues that AMD are trying to fix in crossfire with Mantle....and should be fixing outside of Mantle also!
    The frame pacing issue is still prevalent with Xfire? I thought they allegedly fixed it months ago?

I know Nvidia had a hardware solution in place beforehand and the AMD solution was software but after I saw the graphs that pcper came up with highlighting the issue in the first place I subsequently saw post patch graphs that looked much improved.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

The shoddy drivers argument doesn't stand up - if AMD couldn't make good drivers then Mantle would suffer from the same problem - it's the same team for both as far as I can tell. However LtMatt's statement that it's delivering a superior experience aside from CPU efficiency and fps don't stand up either - there are no extra experience factors that Mantle enables outside of those so anything he's experiencing is a placebo effect.

edit: Yes, frame pacing is comprehensively fixed these days - it's at least as good if not better than SLi I think, but ideally you want a GCN 1.1 card to get the best benefit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information