Thread: Graphics cards advice - fury or not?

Registered+
    Thanks

Graphics cards advice - fury or not?

As like many others I was quite disappointed when the benchmarks came out from the fury and fury x range compared to the 980 and 980ti from NVidia. I have even seen the 18 month old 295 x2 card perform better than the fury range. I do realise the bench marks are on the games available now so what I am asking is do you think that the fury range is set up for the new dx 12 games which may use its new processors. I am looking to buy a whole new gaming system from scan at xmas/jan time as I want a card that will be as much future proof as possible. I cant wait much longer than then as my old machine is really on its way out as I know there are some new cards coming out from amd and NVidia in 2016 but not sure when. Any advice please?

Thanks

Re: Graphics cards advice - fury or not?

It's hard to give forward-looking advice to be honest - the DX12 benchmarks we've seen so far do seem to perform impressively on AMD but it's just two games, and they're not released yet.

In theory, the 2016 16nm GPUs should offer a significant performance jump as we've been on variants of 28nm for longer than a single node is typically utilised for high-end GPUs. But as usual the old 'there's always something new around the corner' is as true as ever. Realistically, they're more likely to be in the second half of 2016 so you could still be waiting a long time if you're waiting for them.

What resolution are you playing at, and what sort of games are you playing? Depending on this it might make more sense to get a more mid-high range GPU rather than flagships with a view to upgrading sooner - it's generally not a good financial choice to get a flagship with the hope of it being future-proof.

Thanks

Yeah, high end cards are for high end loads. They're a necessary expense if you want a triple screen or HighDPI display.

Don't buy one for a normal screen in the hopes of getting longevity with a less demanding screen setup. A £525 card will last longer than a £175 card that's a third of the price, but three £175 cards in succession will last far longer and support the latest technology besides.

Registered+
    Thanks

hi - i will be playing the new fallout 4 and fallout las vegas running a lot of mods, also the new metal gear solid and deux ex and the total war series. I have yet to chose on a monitor but will properly be 24 inch at 144 hz. I might go for a amd free sych one if i go for a ati card. so would you suggest a ati 390x maybe or nvidia 970 variant and upgrade if i need to later down the line?

Thanks

Well it's hard to commend on unreleased games, but Las Vegas should be OK to run on most hardware now. MGS seems to be a really well-optimised game and should run fine on either of those cards.

The 390X is a notch up from the 970 but yeah that's the ballpark of what I'd be looking at for >60fps 1080p.

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + HGST 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Temjin 06 plus mods ;)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

Quote Originally Posted by bigduke6 View Post
    I have yet to chose on a monitor but will properly be 24 inch at 144 hz.
    SO it would most likely be 1080P res? if so I'd think fury wouldn't be what I'd consider for purchase. Buy something else save £££ for next upgrade.

Not an AMD fanboy but had past 2 GPUs from them and the 290/X series seemed better to me vs 970.

I know now finding a 290/X new reasonably priced is tricky but recently Amazon.fr had a Tri-X 290X for £230. Novatech have XFX 390 for £240 and OCuk have PowerColor PCS+ 390 for similar, I'd get one of those vs a 390X or 290X (if can't find at right price).

I went from a 290 to a 290X (only reason wasn't losing £ changing) and TBH 290 bench so close to a 290X and I think 390 again be so close to 390X, thus 390 is best bang for buck card.
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - Cooler Master V850

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)

Registered+
    Thanks

would anyone recommend the Gigabyte R9 390 SOC?

Registered+
    Thanks

also what is the difference between SOC and non SOC?

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + HGST 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Temjin 06 plus mods ;)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

SOC = Super Overclocking

On the SOC mobos can see features that a overclocker may want like voltage read points.

On the GFX by Gigabyte can't see anything like that, for example on Asus Matrix cards you tend to get voltage read points and LN2 oriented features.

The Gigabyte SOC GFX doesn't have any OC on the RAM compared with what AMD set as spec and only a slight increase on GPU. Also didn't find any reviews or PCB images on web to cross ref.

Personally if I wanted a pre OC'd 390/X I'd go for a MSI, other wise play silicon lottery with any other.
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • scorch666's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k
      • Memory:
      • 16gb 2400mhz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel 4600
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Gold 650w
      • Case:
      • Sharkoon T28
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • CRT 1024x768
      • Internet:
      • 40mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    A £525 card will last longer than a £175 card that's a third of the price, but three £175 cards in succession will last far longer and support the latest technology besides.
    I like it. Makes perfect sense.

Registered+
    Thanks

It is not an easy question but I here's what I have done:

So as yourself I was disappointed with the fury and furyX benchmarks when they came out so I decided to just double up my r9 290 and run a crossfire setup until the next gen cards come out next year.... however it turned out to be an enormous mistake, I got to tell you right now, crossfire is terrible at the moment, or rather saying games are terribly not optimized for it. So this lasted about 4 months from august to october, which by that time I had crossfire by default turned off becuaseI could manage to play games with crossfire on without issues in 2 (!!!) titles out of about 8-9 so I got fed up and sold both cards and bought a furyX, since it has come down in price now quite a bit... I would still recommend a good 980ti, the only reason why I bought the furyX is because I have a freesync monitor, so I didnt want to throw that away, but the furyX itself is still a bit of a luckluster, not to mention that I will have to return it to scan in a few weeks because the water cooler on it just whines on any load... typical problem with the furyX cards....

Registered+
    Thanks

The furyx is not an overall bad card but it is far better than anything AMD has had before. My only complaint about the card is the fact that it comes with only 4GB of memory. Despite it's higher bandwidth the 980ti seems to edge it out on most benchmarks.

Thread Information