• AMD HD6870
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair HX series
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Premium (64bit)

GPU for a short term upgrade on a very old system

I'm planning a new build but don't have the money at current so want a new GPU to tide me over till nearer the middle/end of the year when cash wont be so much of an issue. I installed Fallout 4 a couple of weeks ago & was gutted to see it set itself to low/medium graphics then proceed to still struggle at times!

I'm currently running:
    CPU: Intel Q6600 (over locked to 3.0Ghz)
    Mono: Asus P5K delux
    Ram: 4gb DDR2 (can't remember the speed off the top of my head)
    GPU: AMD HD 6870
    SSD: 128gb Samsung 830
    HHD: 2x 500gb
    PSU: 520w corsair (can't remember which of their ranges it is)
    Monitor: 1650x1050 non hd-ready (which isn't running at anything like that resolution)

For the new build I'm planning a GTX980 Ti but don't know whether to just get one know & stick it in the above system, get a second 6870 and run them in crossfire (power draw may be an issue with those options though) or just get a new slightly more powerful GPU as a temporary measure.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated,
    Thanks

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: GPU for a short term upgrade on a very old system

I seriously wouldn't be investing in a GTX980TI now especially with BOTH Polaris and Pascal probably being released from the middle of this year onwards.

I found that my Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770 is fine at 1680X1050 with a GTX960 4GB running Fallout 4. It is reasonably CPU intensive though although it scales reasonably well with thread count.

The recent 1.3 path has improved performance on AMD cards too:

http://www.maximumpc.com/fallout-4-g...ited-patch-13/
    http://gamegpu.com/rpg/rollevye/fall...-test-gpu.html

You should be OK with a GTX750TI though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynZaZqZhLig

Edit!!

Looking at those charts the R7 370 might be a better bet as it can be had for around £100,but I have not seen any tests with a Q6600 running a game yet.

The GTX950 starts around £120 onwards.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 29-02-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

The 6870 is an interesting one, tbh - a decent card but probably now looking a bit long in the tooth.

A 980 Ti would, obviously, be horrific overkill for your 1680x1050 monitor and overclocked Q6600. Plus, if you're looking at not putting the new rig together until the middle of the year you might find that the new releases from both AMD and nvidia (due this summer, and AMD have shown working silicon already) make the 980 Ti look like a poor choice. I'd probably steer clear of buying a GPU now for a new rig six months away.

So, that leaves you with options for a temporary upgrade. I suspect the cheapest in terms of bang for buck would be a second hand 6870 off ebay for crossfire: there's a few available buy-it-now for around £50 - £60.

Other alternatives ... well, the best bang for buck new card at 1080p (which isn't many more pixels than your monitor) is the GTX 950, which is around £120 - £130. The Radeon R9 270/270X are a similar speed but aren't available new: you'd be looking second hand for those. The replacement R7 370 isn't as fast, but costs as much as the GTX 950 - not really worth considering less, apparently! (See CAT's post above). I wouldn't bother spending much more than that on a temporary card personally - and the only card really worth considering beneath that would (IMNSHO) be the GTX 750 Ti - the fastest bus powered card you can buy, it's around £90 new but can be picked up for £60ish second hand.

Remember that if you replace the 6870 you can always sell it to recoup some of the costs!
    Last edited by scaryjim; 29-02-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: edited for R7 370 price

Thanks
    • Firejack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus PRIME X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • TG Dark Pro "8pack Edition"
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 250GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD, Samsung 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire RX VEGA 56 8GB Pulse
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic Focus Plus 650 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2719DGF
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

Hold on guys. Is it worth replacing the graphics card in a system with a Q6600 and 4GB of memory? Surely whatever graphics card we suggest its going to be held back by the CPU/memory bottleneck in an open world game such as Fallout 4.

douglasb - Personally I commend the choice of parts in your current system as its proved to be a very wise purchase. However its come as far as it will go. I'd stick to low quality graphics for now in Fallout 4 and try and bring forward your new system, by avoiding spending money on a new graphics card now that will barely improve performance.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Firejack View Post
    Hold on guys. Is it worth replacing the graphics card in a system with a Q6600 and 4GB of memory? Surely whatever graphics card we suggest its going to be held back by the CPU/memory bottleneck in an open world game such as Fallout 4.
    They won't be a problem.

edit: above was overly hasty - I would be very surprised if they were a problem, but then FO4 seems to behave quite oddly.
    Last edited by kalniel; 01-03-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks
    • douglasb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium/wifi-ap
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD6870
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair HX series
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Premium (64bit)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I seriously wouldn't be investing in a GTX980TI now especially with BOTH Polaris and Pascal probably being released from the middle of this year onwards.
    I had considered the new releases but I can't see either company releasing a top of the range card that would push the 980 Ti straight away & if they did prices would be rediculous! Although 980 Ti costs would drop which is a good reason to hold off now.

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I suspect the cheapest in terms of bang for buck would be a second hand 6870 off ebay for crossfire: there's a few available buy-it-now for around £50 - £60.

Other alternatives ... well, the best bang for buck new card at 1080p (which isn't many more pixels than your monitor) is the GTX 950, which is around £120 - £130.

Remember that if you replace the 6870 you can always sell it to recoup some of the costs!
    I'd spotted some 6870s on eBay & was tempted but at 151w each that's getting close to my 525w PSU so I think CrossFire is out.

Selling my 6870 for £40 - £50 would mean a £70 - £80 outlay could reach a GTX950 or a £50 outlay for an R7 370. Not very much to argue between the 2 it seems?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • jamiehard1989's system
      • Motherboard:
      • z87x-oc
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690k
      • Memory:
      • hyperx 16gb
      • Storage:
      • 500gb evo 850, 2tb hd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • ocz zx 850w
      • Case:
      • nzxt phantom 630
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • lg 42" tv (vsr 1440p)

If you dont mind going used, what about a r9 280x or a gtx770

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
    I had considered the new releases but I can't see either company releasing a top of the range card that would push the 980 Ti straight away & if they did prices would be rediculous! Although 980 Ti costs would drop which is a good reason to hold off now.
    But the problem is that both Pascal and Polaris will have better DX12 performance,and as time progresses it will look old hat. Considering your build is more towards the end of the year,you will start to see the new generation cards being released.

Thanks

I do wonder if your issue is a CPU limitation. The 6870 isn't particularly slow, I seem to remember it being marginally faster than a 7790/650ti so it should come pretty close to a 750 or 360.

AMD's drivers have been shown to have a bigger CPU impact so it might be worth considering an nVidia card instead which would give you two shots at solving the problem. You'd lose out on Adaptive Sync but that's not a big deal if you're replacing it in the Autumn.

Or just shelve Fallout 4 and play some other games until you're ready to upgrade. There's no shortage of them out there and your current system isn't going to struggle with very many.

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Also - OP - are you using the latest drivers and the latest patch for Fallout 4 or did you start playing a while back and then give up? The 1.3 and 1.4 patches improved performance a fair bit and the 16.1 and 16.2 drivers from AMD also noticeably improved performance too, to the extent where my 290X is now noticeably smoother than my GTX 970 for example - and both of those are running in first gen i7 systems so I don't have anything like the latest and greatest CPU either.

Thanks
    • douglasb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD6870
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair HX series
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Premium (64bit)

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    I do wonder if your issue is a CPU limitation. The 6870 isn't particularly slow, I seem to remember it being marginally faster than a 7790/650ti so it should come pretty close to a 750 or 360..

Or just shelve Fallout 4 and play some other games until you're ready to upgrade. There's no shortage of them out there and your current system isn't going to struggle with very many.
    Interesting to see a second person questioning the Q6600. To be honest I've not looked too closely at how hard everything is working mid game but I'll have a look tonight. Since the chip shouldn't have to last much longer I'm happy to overclock it to within an inch of its life if need be!

I'm very happy with how the whole system has lasted, apart for the HD6870 & SSD it's all 7-8 years old & still coping surprisingly well! It's very much due to the help & advise of Hexus members all those years ago when I put it together.

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    Also - OP - are you using the latest drivers and the latest patch for Fallout 4 or did you start playing a while back and then give up? The 1.3 and 1.4 patches improved performance a fair bit and the 16.1 and 16.2 drivers from AMD also noticeably improved performance too, to the extent where my 290X is now noticeably smoother than my GTX 970 for example - and both of those are running in first gen i7 systems so I don't have anything like the latest and greatest CPU either.
    Fallout is a new install about a week or 2 ago via Steam so should be up to date & the 6870 I updated a couple of months ago, I'll check them both this evening though.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Crimson 16.1 launched mid January, so less than 2 months ago, and 16.2 is only a couple of weeks old. Well worth forcing a GPU driver update at the point and seeing what happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Q6600 was starting to hold back an AMD card, even at 3GHz: AMD's DX11 drivers struggle without good single-thread performance. If you do push the Q6600 further do report back: I've still got one kicking around that I'm considering giving one last hurrah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
    Interesting to see a second person questioning the Q6600. To be honest I've not looked too closely at how hard everything is working mid game but I'll have a look tonight. Since the chip shouldn't have to last much longer I'm happy to overclock it to within an inch of its life if need be!
    There's still going to be a big gulf to the current popular CPUs, see these benchmarks of The Q6600, and 3Ghz Q9650, with a GTX 980 for example:
    http://www.techspot.com/article/1039...red/page5.html

Thanks
    • douglasb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD6870
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair HX series
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Premium (64bit)

I'm now running Crimson 16.2 and to be honest there's no difference at all.

Once I got Fallout going I kind of forgot to keep an eye on how hard the system was working but once I'd closed it Windows' resource monitor was showing the CPU as having being very fluctuant in terms of how hard it was working and occasionally topping out at 100%, RAM was pretty consistently at about 90%. It turned out I hadn't turned MSI Afterburner's logging feature back on so could only see the last couple of minute's worth of data and in them the GPU didn't look massively stressed, probably about 60-80% load however some of the last couple of minutes will have being used saving & quitting so won't have been too graphically intensive which may explain that.

Apologies for the poor quality of my load monitoring! I'm happy to redo it tomorrow & remember to use HWiNFO this time. Despite that though I'm pretty confident blaming the Q6600 & RAM rather than the 6870 so it's looking like I'll either have to wait on a new build or just put up with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys!

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

It's probably worth monitoring the VRAM usage on the 6870 too - might be CPU, RAM or VRAM that's really holding you back (or all 3!)...

...though if you have the budget for a 980 Ti (£500+) and you want to spend some money *now* it's probably better to get a new CPU, motherboard and RAM and then either wait and see what your remaining cash buys when Pascal and / or Polaris are released or get a 970 or a 390 for ~£250 now. Either would be loads better than the 6870 and you can get the lot for ~£500 to £600 though obviously it greatly depends on which CPU, etc you go for, e.g.

If you go for a 6600K then you need a Z170 mobo and with 16GB of RAM you'd be looking at ~£350 from a quick check, which would take you up to £600 total spend with a 970 or 390.

If you aren't planning to overclock and you drop down to 8GB RAM then you'd only be looking at circa £260 (i5 6400, H110/B150/H170 mobo, 8GB RAM) which would bring you in at £510 with a 970 or 390.

I'd say that a new CPU, motherboard and RAM are less likely to become outdated in the short term than a GPU so that's where I'd start if I wanted to do it on a piecemeal basis, though with ~£500 you could upgrade the lot (though it's possible you'd also need to change PSU and likely you would need to change your CPU heatsink / fan depending upon what you have now).

You'd obviously also get some cash back for your existing kit - I'd guess around £75 for your existing CPU, RAM, mobo and graphics card though I haven't checked prices.

FWIW I have two gaming capable rigs - my main PC has a 970 and my HTPC has a 290X and both have first gen i7 CPUs (actually socket 1366 Xeons) which are overclocked at 3.6 --> 4.0GHz and 3.2 --> 3.8GHz depending upon load (turbo boost on the 1st gen wasn't great) and both of these will happily run Fallout 4 on ultra (with god rays manually set at ultra and HBAO on) at 1080 (though my main PC only has a 1680x1050 screen at the moment). As before the 290X runs better than the 970 since FO4 was patched and AMD pushed out new drivers. Before the updates both the 970 and 290X would occasionally get bogged down when there was a lot going on (typically when high up in a densely populated area) but now, while the 970 still gets bogged down on occasion, the 290X is smooth sailing all the way.

Also - see here:

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphi...axwell/?page=5

Even a 750 Ti out paces a 6870 it would seem so you don't need to go all the way to the top end to get significantly better performance. I'm not recommending the 750 Ti in and of itself but you get the point - a 980 Ti may well be overkill and is likely to give you buyer's remorse once the next gen GPUs are released.

FWIW I wasn't up to speed on the differences between the Z, H, B and Q chipsets but there's a nice article here that lists the differences:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...ifference-635/

...though the main ones still seem to be do you want to overclock (Z required) and do you want to run > 1 GPU at full PCIE x16

And finally... if FO4 is the main driver then look at some of the comparison articles. There isn't actually a massive difference between the different settings in FO4. It seems to be mostly draw distance for foliage and shadow quality that are affected (outside of being able to use AA at decent frame rates which does make a really visible difference). I think things have moved on a bit since the game was patched (e.g. since they added HBAO+) but from a quick glance over some comparison articles there are times when you can't really tell the difference between the settings - though I'm always a bit sceptical when it comes to comparison articles so I'll fire the game up and change settings at some point to compare.
    Last edited by malfunction; 02-03-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    • douglasb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD6870
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair HX series
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Premium (64bit)

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    ...though if you have the budget for a 980 Ti (£500+) and you want to spend some money *now* it's probably better to get a new CPU, motherboard and RAM and then either wait and see what your remaining cash buys when Pascal and / or Polaris are released...

I'd say that a new CPU, motherboard and RAM are less likely to become outdated in the short term than a GPU so that's where I'd start if I wanted to do it on a piecemeal basis, though with ~£500 you could upgrade the lot (though it's possible you'd also need to change PSU and likely you would need to change your CPU heatsink / fan depending upon what you have now).
    That's pretty much the conclusion I'd come to as well, upgrade everything but the 6870 until new releases then change that over.

While I could recoup some costs by selling my current system I'm not sure it would be worth it, is there much of a market for kit that old & if so where is best to sell? Since it's a running system & the only thing I'm thinking about scavenging from it is the SSD (& 6870 short term) I may just pass it onto my brother & let him get a few more years out of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information