Thread: Nvidia GTX 1050 Fan Question

Registered+
    Thanks

Nvidia GTX 1050 Fan Question

Does anyone know how loud the fans are on the 1050s? I believe these don't have the same PWM fans as the 1050 Ti.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: Nvidia GTX 1050 Fan Question

There's no such thing as "the" GTX 1050 There's not even a refere Founder's Edition card to use as a basis for comparisons.

Fan noise will vary widely between manufacturers, but I'm pretty sure they'll all use a PWM fan that varies its speed with GPU temperature, and some will even have semi-passive models that turn the fan off completely at low loads/temperatures. They may not be exactly the same as the coolers used by the GTX 1050 Ti models, but they'll have the same technology. Your best bet is to look at some reviews for specific models: for instance this hexus review measures an EVGA GTX 1050 SC Gaming as being quieter than the EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC Gaming, but louder than the MSI GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X.

Registered+
    Thanks

I am confused. I have just looked on Scan's website and the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 does exist. But you say it does not in your reply then later you contradict yourself and point me to a review of the GTX 1050. Can you please clarify your position? Apologies if I have misunderstood your reply.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by IPBA View Post
    I am confused. I have just looked on Scan's website and the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 does exist. But you say it does not in your reply then later you contradict yourself and point me to a review of the GTX 1050. Can you please clarify your position? Apologies if I have misunderstood your reply.
    No worries, I get why my answer might not have been clear.

There isn't a reference or standard design for the GTX 1050; every manufacturers' design will be different. You were asking about "the fans on the GTX1050s" - well, it'll depend on which GTX 1050; there isn't one answer. So in that sense there isn't such a thing as "the" GTX 1050 (emphasis on "the"); at least not as far as fans/coolers go. Every manufacturer will use different fans, and have them set up differently. Some will be loud, some will be quiet. So the question as you asked it can't really be answered.

One thing I am pretty sure of, though, is that all GTX 1050s will use PWM fans (or some other form of active fan control) to make the fans spin slower when the card is idle. The designs will be based on the GTX 1050 Ti designs (they use the same GPU, after all, so there's no point spending extra money designing different cards for the Ti and non-Ti versions) so it wouldn't make much sense for manufacturers to use different fans on them.

Hope that's a bit clearer!

Registered+
    Thanks

Yes thanks scaryjim - thanks for clearing it up. One thing I have noticed on some of the google images of the 1050 cards is that some use two wire fan connections as apposed to 3/4 wire fan connections to the PCB on the Ti models. I had an EVGA card before (GeForec 620) and it only had two fan speeds. Quiet which was still audible and full speed.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

I guess it's possible that some cards will use simpler fan control than PWM; two wires would suggest some form of voltage control rather than PWM, but all that means is that the fan speed is under a less fine control; with only two wires the card won't know how fast it's spinning, just how much voltage it's using to drive the fan. One thing to bear in mind, though, is that most GTX 1050s have big dual slot full size heat sinks which are total overkill for the GPU so they won't need fast spinning fans (I'd guess your GT 620 was a low profile single slot card? They use tiny little fans that are noisy anyway!).

If fan noise is important to you, your only option is to read as many GTX 1050 reviews as possible to find out which models have PWM fan control and which are quietest.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah scaryjim my 620 was a single slot design. I think I may just plump for the Ti model instead but as you have suggested will read up on 1050 reviews before ultimately deciding.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

If you're in the UK and your budget can stretch as far as £150, it's also worth thinking about this RX 470 from Overclockers: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapph...gx-37g-sp.html

It's a different class of card from the GTX 1050/1050 Ti - way faster. Unless you need a specific feature of the GTX 1050 it's worthy of consideration...

Registered+
    Thanks

Good shout scaryjim. I was not really considering the AMD cards due to driver issues I have had in the past. Have you had any experience with the new Crimson drivers?

Thread Information