Thread: NEw PC - adding Raptor HDD from old system

Registered+
    Thanks

NEw PC - adding Raptor HDD from old system

JUst ordered a new PC with 680i mobo and Vista premium 32bit installed.

I've opted for a standard Samsung 500 Spinpoint HDD but am wondering whether I could transfer my Raptor 74gb across from my old system.

OLD system has Wondow XP homm on it. I installed this myself when I built my old system last year. it was an OEM version of windows so am I right in thinking that this will cause complications with new mobo and OS? I'm almost positive it will there fore I'm seeking advice on the best course of action as I wold liek to keep the raptor for downloading/installing games onto.

So is ther a way around this. IS ther a way I can wipe the OS off the raptor and re-installin new machine. ( I can re-intall XP on other HDD in old system- hopefully as it would be mobo compatible)

Sorry - this is a little rambling but I hope I'm getting the point across.

Any ideas?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Re: NEw PC - adding Raptor HDD from old system

Quickest way to wipe the disk is to purchase a legitimate copy of windows and simply delete any partitions on the drive before installing. As long as you're not switching from an AMD chip to an Intel (or vice versa) it should be seamless.

If not, you'll have to format the drive before you try moving it or try and get a Windows 98 disc or Linux disc that boots from the CD to format the drive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magpa View Post
    So is ther a way around this. IS ther a way I can wipe the OS off the raptor and re-installin new machine. ( I can re-intall XP on other HDD in old system- hopefully as it would be mobo compatible)
    Do you want to get another HD for the old machine and copy the old system across to that? If so, just install the new HD in the old machine and use a partition-cloning program (Acronis, Paragon, etc) to copy the entire contents of the Raptor over to the new HD. A simple HD swap on the old machine shouldn't trigger reactivation and, if it does, MS must give you a new activation code by phone, as HD swaps are allowed for OEM licences.

When you've transferred the old machine's OS to your new HD, you just need to delete the Windows and Program Files directories on the Raptor (and Documents and Settings, after you've backed-up anything you need to save).

Registered+
    Thanks

I already have a second HDD on old system - a 250gb - which only has files on it - no programs. Could I copy the contents of Raptor ( C Drive) over to it. Or could I just re-install the Windows Xp on D Drive ( making it master drive ) and then deal with wiping whatevers necessary off the Raptor.

To be honest - if it's goingto be a complicated effort then the time involved may not be worth it.

IN response to Lucio - the CPU on Old system is AMD. The new is Intel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magpa View Post
    I already have a second HDD on old system - a 250gb - which only has files on it - no programs.
    You want your old 2nd HD to become the new 1st HD for your old system. You could copy off the stuff you want to keep and then clone the XP system over to the 2nd disk. I have to say I'm getting the feeling that this would be a complex process for you, in which case you'll probably find it easier just to reformat the lot after backup and reinstall your XP Home system (as long as you have a proper XP Home disc and licence key).

Registered+
    Thanks

Well that shouldn't bee too much of a problem and the OEM XP CD i have will be tied to the same Mobo.
    I should be able to transfer across to the 250.

ONce that's done I'm sure I can work out erasing XP from the Raptor and stick it into the new system.

Worst comes to worse I'll just refer to my A+ Course book and see what I can come up with.

Thread Information