Thread: Acer Laptop - Totally Dead?!

Thanks

Acer Laptop - Totally Dead?!

We've got an Acer TravelMate 5730 laptop. This developed a fault some time late last year, was sent to Acer in Texas and repaired (the laptop was in out US office at the time). I got my hands on it a couple of weeks ago. It all seemed good. So, yesterday I was installing Office (since it was returned to us as a factory install) and preparing it to go on our domain. I restarted and was greeted with nothing.

The charger is plugged in, and has a green light on, indicating it's working. It's attached to the laptop, as is the battery. In this state the battery symbol on the front is solid green. On pressing the power button yesterday nothing happened, yup, nothing.

Leaving it plugged in all night and trying the same this morning and still nothing.

I've tried a battery pull, I've tried booting it up without the battery (just AC cord), I've tried putting in the AC cord whilst holding the power button - nothing.

I'm kinda stumped - I've never had a machine be working fine one min then not even boot the next?! - No noises, nothing!

Any suggestions before I begin the hideous task of contacting Acer for support/sending it back?

Thanks

Re: Acer Laptop - Totally Dead?!

hmm, could be the on/off switch has broke .......

Thanks
    • Ben Rogers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i5 2500k @ 4400MHz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3 (8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz)
      • Storage:
      • 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD (boot) + 1TB Samsung F3 + 500GB Samsung F1 SATA II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI HD7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Coolermaster VX
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion 5 II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit SP1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" Samsung SyncMaste
      • Internet:
      • 23Mbit / 1.1 Mbit ADSL2

Re: Acer Laptop - Totally Dead?!

Probably the dc jack, if you try and move it does it move much? even if it doesn't the pin inside could have snapped off or there are dry solder joints connecting jack to motherboard.

If its not that or the ac adaptor then its probably the charging circuit on the motherboard and afaik this is part of the motherboard.

You could test the voltage of ad adaptor using a multi metre but someone on these forums doesn't agree that this works unless the adaptor has load but in my experience it works.

By faulty power button do you mean the power button panel being faulty where the power button presses down on to? I find it unlikely to be this as on an Acer I've had apart before it would only fit snuggly and if it wasn't on properly the panel above the keyboard will not sit properly, but travelmates probably differs from aspires.

Did the battery have power left in it when it lasted worked? if it doesn't even power on with the battery on its own its probably serious - ie the motherboard has a major fault and needs replacing.
    E6850@ 3700MHz / 6GB DDR2 / 500GB SATAII / nVidia 7800 GTX / Lian Li Plus7B

Thread Information