I am trying to transfer data from an external hardrive. Its actually an enclosure. Anyway, I have been using it for a while now. I never really had to transfer anything from it before. Putting data on it is fine. The problem is when I copy data from the external hard drive to my computer, the window that shows the copying details shows a speed of 0mb/s. Its like it hangs becuase it stays like that for a long long time. Iv left it for 2 hours. I have tried one solution.
Solution that I have tried is:
1. Open "My Computer" or "Computer" from your (Start) Menu or Button.
2. Right-click the external Hard disk drive from the list and select "properties"
7. Click the "Hardware" tab.
8. Highlight the drive your having problems with from the drive list and click on "Properties".
9. Click on the “Policies” tab.
10. You will see two radio buttons - "Optimize for quick removal" and "optimize for performance".
11. If not selected, select "Optimize for performance" and click on "OK". If running Vista or Windows 7 also check "enable write caching on the disk".
12. Click on "OK" and exit.
However that doesn't work. I have tried copying the data in safe mode, also hangs.
Does anybody have any other fixes? Formatting is not a option because I have valuable data on it.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Note: I have connected the same external hard drive to a separate computer and the same problem arises.
Another Note: The external hard drive works fine when I copy the contents of what in it, so a internal hardrive, 2TB. The problem arises when I copy the contents of what's in the external hard drive to my 128GB SSD.