Thread: Visual C# Command Line Compiler error

Thanks

Visual C# Command Line Compiler error

About a week ago I had this error box pop up saying Visual C# Command Line Compiler had stopped working, and I thought it was just windows being windows so rebooted all ok. Then yesterday it appeared again, and I clicked closed and it went away. Has anyone come across this before?

In the action centre (i'm running windows 7 64-bit) it give this info:

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\csc.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: csc.exe
    Application Version: 8.0.50727.4927
    Application Timestamp: 4a275157
    Fault Module Name: csc.exe
    Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.4927
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a275157
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000000000000ee26
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 740b
    Additional Information 2: 740be8efbc0ae3289d88713eaa9245f5
    Additional Information 3: 4508
    Additional Information 4: 4508307cfa77360d5b9f5b7a31a1ca50

I should add that my pc has been running fine with nothing going weird, and also internet speeds etc are fine.

Virus scan clean!
    Last edited by AledJ; 11-02-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks

Re: Visual C# Command Line Compiler error

Does this error occur when launching a game? and is there a chance you are using ATI graphics?

Or is this a generic error?

Thanks

It does not occur when starting a game, and both times it has happened my computer was just idle. I just had bbc news webpage open thats all. And yes I have a HD 6900 ATI card. I have not installed anything new apart from the normal windows updates, and this has me worried and confused!

What do you mean by generic error?
    Last edited by AledJ; 11-02-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

the csc is used by some older .net programs that want to dynamically create code on the fly.

I'm guessing you have some odd peice of software, that aside from been badly written, is failing in some way.

If you install process explorer (part of sysinternals suite) next time the error comes up, use process explorer and figure out which process spawned the csc error.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    the csc is used by some older .net programs that want to dynamically create code on the fly.

I'm guessing you have some odd peice of software, that aside from been badly written, is failing in some way.

If you install process explorer (part of sysinternals suite) next time the error comes up, use process explorer and figure out which process spawned the csc error.
    I would have no idea how to do that :| Wish there was some simple fix, and its odd how it happened a week apart. Also no programs are running apart from firefox, which I think I had open yesterday but not sure.
    Last edited by AledJ; 11-02-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks

csc.exe is just the c# compiler.
    An easy way of fixing the problem would just be to go to add and remove programs and uninstall the .net framework, then reinstall it.

Download the latest version from Microsoft here, but you can leave it till an application asks for it.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by hesham1516 View Post
    An easy way of fixing the problem would just be to go to add and remove programs and uninstall the .net framework, then reinstall it.
    Only if the problem is with the .net framework, rather than something running in the background that's trying to using it to compile some bad code. The only .NET problem that I can think of that might cause this is if it's happening during an optimisation of the global cache (I once had a laptop that used to grind to a halt one morning in three because of cache "optimisations" ) - that would be an occasional tasks (i.e. it wouldn't happen all the time) and I guess something could have been corrupted during a windows update which would explain why it only just started happening.

I don't think it's the most likely explanation though: whilst the only program *you* are running is firefox, that will be a long way from the only program your computer is running There'll be tens, if not hundreds, of programs running in the background, and any one of them could be causing the problem. It could be scheduled or in response to certain activity, which may not be obvious or even any kind of input from you.

One option might be to look through the normal event log to see what else was happening around the time the csc.exe crashed, in case that gives any indication as to what might be the root cause. There's a reaonable chance that if something asked the compiler to do something and the compiler failed, another program will have stopped immediately after the failure. it may have left a trace in the event log. Probably worth a look...

Thanks

I have updated my gfx drivers just in case, and will check my event log.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hesham1516 View Post
    Does this error occur when launching a game? and is there a chance you are using ATI graphics?

Or is this a generic error?
    It happened again :| Any reason why you asked if I had an AIT card, is there some link?

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-B75-D3V (rev 1.1)
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Black Viper 24GB 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 240GB, Samsung 32 GB mSATA, MAXTOR SATAI 250 GB, WD Blue SATA III 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 7850 OC edition 2 GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • AvP Triton Mid Tower PC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 (64 Bit)
      • Internet:
      • 8 Mbps (1 MBps) Tiscali

NET framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are installed on default on Windows 7 machine so it cannot be removed unless you mean the Windows Update of them. Another thing to look into is your anti-virus logs to see if it is locking or stopping CSC.exe.

Run "sfc /scannow" from elevated command prompt and give it a reboot to see if the error pops up. If that does not fix it, Start menu -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a program -> Turn Windows features on or off.

1. Check whether the checkbox of the .NET Framework 3.5.1 has been selected, if so, un-select the check box, click OK;
    2. Open the Turn Windows features on or off window again, and select the checkbox of .NET Framework 3.5.1, click OK.

If that does not work, update your .NET framework to latest version which is 4.0

edit: If this happening weekly... sound like something is schedule to run so check task scheduler to see what is task has been created to run specifically that day or what programs have schedule to run that day.
    Last edited by stilkun; 18-02-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Thread Information