• Coolermaster K380
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 247ELH 1080p 2ms
      • Internet:
      • Not fast enough

Question active windows keep losing focus

Hi all, I have recently come across a very strange issue. whenever I am using my PC, the active window will lose focus, as if I have clicked on the taskbar. In the case of full screen games, this causes them to minimise. This usually happens after about a minute, and has already happened twice while I have been typing this. I have had a look on google, but there was very little helpful advice, despite this being a seemingly common issue. I have found a temporary fix, which is disabling visual themes etc. in compatibility options for the effected programs. however, as these programs are all my games and most other programs as well, I would love to know the cause and a permanent solution.

The common causes I saw online were AVG and webcam programs, but I have MSE and no webcam.

The strange thing is, I performed a system restore to about a week before I first noticed the problem, a time when I had no issues at all. However, this didn't fix ANYTHING.

Another possibly related issue is that my PC keeps losing its connection to my home network. this does not happen as often as the defocusing, but is still a regular occurance. could my USB WIFI card be a culprit????
    If any of you have suggestions as to the cause or any way for me to find the cause, I would be very appreciative.

BTW, I am running Windows 7 HP 64 bit genuine, and have the latest graphics drivers installed, although I haven't checked every driver yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • dmoll14's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8H77-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba 1TB 7200RPM HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VS650 650W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster K380
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 247ELH 1080p 2ms
      • Internet:
      • Not fast enough

Re: active windows keep losing focus

OK, got an update here. I unplugged my wireless adapter and exited the utility, then tried accessing a game that had been messing up before. I turned the visual themes and desktop composition etc. back on, and ran it... and it didn't minimize. neither has chrome so far, even though I would have been lucky to have lasted to the end of the second sentence previously without having to re-enter the window. So what should I do now? I would prefer not to have to tether my phone to my desktop every single time I want to access the internet, but I would prefer that to constant minimization. My adapter in case it is relevant, is the TP-Link TL-WN821N, and I think I have the latest driver. At least I've found the solution, even though it was before all you helpful Hexusians had time to respond.

Thread Information