• Case:
      • Cooler Master 431 Plus Elite
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2243S

Radeon 7950 - Crashes to random coloured screen

Hi,

I have an i7-3770K, Sabertooth Z77, MSI Twin Frozr HD 7950, OCZ ZS 650W, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 and Win 8.1 Pro 64.

I was playing Assassin's Creed: Black Flag yesterday, when it randomly crashed to a solid red screen, with some tiny white jaggered lines which might have been text, not sure.

I then later went on CoD: Blops (1) and it did the same thing, but to a blue screen (again solid, with illegible tiny white writing).

I started a Unigine Heaven 4.0 stress-test, on DirectX11, with everything as high as possible, and as it came to the end of one loop, the same thing happened, with the blue screen like on CoD.

This morning, I left the stress test running for about 20 minutes. Nothing. This evening I've been playing CoD Blops (1) online, and again, nothing. But then I opened the Singleplayer menu for Blops, to play zombies, and it crashed while on the menus, again, with a blue screen, but this time many more white lines. The PC reset after about 5-10 seconds, which I don't remember it doing previously.

The most annoying part is I cannot force the crash to happen - it's random.

My current Windows install is about 3 weeks old, and at the time had all the latest (but stable) drivers. It's a pretty "clean" install - no junk software, only the essentials and games.

I'm going to do a MemTest, run Heaven in Ubuntu Live CD, try a different PSU and GPU, as well as onboard GPU and try my GPU in another PC.

I think I ran CCleaner yesterday, which by the looks of it, wiped out two of the minidumps. Using nirsoft's BSOD viewer, one of the remaining BSODs points to "msrpc.sys" and the other points to "atikmdag.sys".

Obviously I have my list of things to try, but would someone be able to look at the minidumps and see if they can point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,
    Ed

Minidump 1 (17/12) - https://www.mediafire.com/?skikjujl2qyolkt

Minidump 2 (18/12) - https://www.mediafire.com/?bpiob4di7cq5034
    Last edited by edd1234; 15-01-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Radeon 7950 - Crashes to random coloured screen

I've had something similar happen to me (jagged lines and crashes), I ended up RMAing the card as it turned out to be faulty.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • edd1234's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ 8GB (2x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial M4 SSD
      • PSU:
      • OCZ-ZS 650W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2243S

Forgot to mention:
    -The cards had issues before where it's not been detected in the PCI slot. This has happened multiple times even just from taking the case side on and off but re seating the card usually solves it.
    -When the crash happens, the audio out from the PC is just a buzz, everything else stops.

Picture of the most recent crash: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?lubp94op0u9shiq

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

I'd be double checking its seated properly before you do anything else. Its not unheard of for case screws to pull the rear of the card out of the slot a bit when tightened.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • edd1234's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ 8GB (2x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial M4 SSD
      • PSU:
      • OCZ-ZS 650W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2243S

Sorry for the late reply. I reseated it and all was good for a few weeks - no crashes. But unfortunately, it's just done it again, after having been on Age of Empires 3 for about 2 hours. This time it was a blue screen with tiny, jagged white writing scribbling across the screen, same as the mediafire picture.

I ran "BlueScreenView" from nirsoft, and "atikmdag.sys" and "hal.dll".

I've contacted Overclockers and they've offered me an RMA, (i.e. I send it back, they test and replace) but I really want to double check it is the card, especially as this is such a rare occurrence, and preferrable not waste £10 on postage both ways, if they claim it isn't the card.

Is there anyone who can take a look at the bluescreen dump file? Is there anyway they can pretty much track it down to the gfx card, or at least the graphics side of things, rather than say, a dodgy USB headset or something weird and obscure like that? or does it not work like that

Many thanks, Ed

Edit: most recent minidump, https://www.mediafire.com/?a32hq8e3bmabc6t

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

msrpc.sys is to do with the remote procedure call but is relevant to local processes and passing of data.
    atikmdag.sys I assume it's some ATI driver but I assume it's some SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error it's flagging up? Either way could be some dodgy handling at the kernel level.

If you're worried about USB conflicts or any other IRQL conflicts then disable them in device manager or unplug them. Check your temperatures (core, VRMs) and voltages just to monitor what's going on.

Problem is any graphical issues like lines can sometimes point to memory errors. It's somewhat rare for the core to fail though.
    As herulach mentioned double check the physical side of things make sure the card is not touching anything. Best way to check is start removing all devices that isn't required to see if you can cause the issue again.
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thanks

Hi , i've the same problem that you can see in the picture posted by edd1234 to mediafire 4 post up (i'cant insert a link)
    i'm going crazy , it happen random but only in game , diablo 3 or BF4 , the same , after 30 min or 1 hour

This is my system :
    sapphire hd 7950 (no problem for 2 years then this)
    asrock z87 pro3
    i5 4670k
    8gb corsair 1600 XMS
    PSU naxn (enermax) 600W

i try a lot of differt drivers version but the issue appear again .

Someone can help ?

Thanks!

Thread Information