Thread: Unexpected shut down on first build! :'( How do I go about diagnosing this? EasyTune?

Thanks

Unhappy Unexpected shut down on first build! :'( How do I go about diagnosing this? EasyTune?

Ok... was just typing this and opened EasyTune (gigabyte software, came with motherboard) to check CPU temp and it crashed again...

Before that I was playing TrackMania Sunrise for a bit because I wanted to see what the CPU temps were when not idle and when I minimised TM to check the temps in EasyTune it crashed - blue screen briefly, something about a hardware error and then restarts itself. Exact same thing.

Seems my questions changed a bit but still remains. Is there any way I can get some information from the system on what happened to help me figure it out? This is my first build and it's been working fine all day since I put it together last night (until these two events just happened anyway). If it is EasyTune's fault somehow then I can just find another temperature monitor, but if it's a hardware thing I'm worried.

Which leads me to my reason for checking temps - EasyTune said CPU was ~23C while BIOS said ~40-45C (which worries me... it's an i5-4670k, idling and not overclocked, room temp is about 20C I think.) Do I need to change my thermal paste maybe? I just used the pre-applied stuff on the stock cooler.

Also which is more likely to be right on the temp? I don't understand why there's such a big difference...

I'd appreciate anything you can give me on this, so please do give me suggestions if you've got any.
    Cheers,
    Frankenfurter

edit: Looks like I missed the latest patch for it so installing that now... I doubt that's it though is it? Also noticed that on boot my BIOS says F7 but there's an F8. Should I upgrade the BIOS? It says on Gigabyte's site that flashing the BIOS is risky for some reason...
    Last edited by Frankenfurter; 20-03-2014 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks

Re: Unexpected shut down on first build! :'( How do I go about diagnosing this? EasyT

OK, updated BIOS and EasyTune and things seem fine now...

I still might replace EasyTune anyway though, my googling has unearthed quite a few complaints about it. >,<

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Unexpected shut down on first build! :'( How do I go about diagnosing this? EasyT

What are the full specifications of the system?

What PSU are you using?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Yes get rid of EasyTune and another other gigabyte apps if you're having stability issues. Use CoreTemp to check CPU temps, HWMonitor for others.

Thanks

Cheers, kalniel -that is what I've ended up doing so far (other than CoreTemp, I'll have a look into that but I thought some of the values in HWM were CPU temps anyway?). Anyway, all seems to be working as it should now, cheers. Not sure why they bother including stuff with the board if it's not made properly though. :/

CAT-THE-FIFTH - Seems to be working now I've removed that software but my specs are:
    PSU: XFX Pro Series 550W Core Edition
    MOBO: GA-Z87X-D3H
    CPU: Intel i5-4670k
    GPU: integrated right now, will be upgrading sometime soon when I have more money coming in
    RAM: Kingston HyperX LoVo (2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.35v)
    Storage: Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5" - also will be adding a HDD to this when I can afford the extra
    Case: Corsair Graphite 230T - I'm using the pre-installed fans (2x120 front intake, 1x120 rear exhaust) for cooling at the moment, but I might move the rear exhaust up to the top. It'll be directly above the CPU there and quite close by, not sure if it will alter the airflow in any negative way though...

So yeah, any glaring errors?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenfurter View Post
    Cheers, kalniel -that is what I've ended up doing so far (other than CoreTemp, I'll have a look into that but I thought some of the values in HWM were CPU temps anyway?). Anyway, all seems to be working as it should now, cheers. Not sure why they bother including stuff with the board if it's not made properly though. :/
    HWmonitor shows CPU temps too and is fine for that, but if you're concerned at the fine margins then CoreTemp has some options to calibrate sensors and the likes for when you need slightly more accurate CPU temps.

Most motherboard software isn't quite up to scratch IMHO - not just gigabyte stuff. I think they're a victim of having so many variables in terms of hardware to code against, yet they are just one or a few program versions. But when it comes to things that monitor and tweak voltages, timings etc. then something that works on one chipset/CPU/RAM combination may not work on another. EasyTune is designed to help overclocking etc., so it plays with those kinds of things. Dynamic Energy Saver is another - I found it fantastically effective and stable under mild overclocks - did help cut my power usage, but when I got into more audio work I needed as few bits of software polling the hardware as possible so set up voltages to be fixed or controlled by the BIOS/CPU rather than windows software.

7. Received thanks from:

Frankenfurter (22-03-2014)

Thanks

Ah OK.

Well since the BIOS update and updating EasyTune I've had no troubles. I'm uninstalling EasyTune anyway though, realised I'm not using it anyway now I have HWM.

Also noticed that since the update BIOS is reporting slightly lower temps ~35-40C instead of ~40-45. Not sure if that's because anything is actually different or if the temp check is recalibrated with the new BIOS or... something... but it did make me feel a bit better. xD Still seems a little high for being idle though... is it?

Oh, and HWM is reporting values similar to the BIOS so I guess I've got my correlation there now.
    edit: Temperature I'm talking about in HWM is TMPIN1 which I've been told is the temperature for CPU. The core temps are all around 25-30C at idle.

Thread Information