Thread: Issue with suspend/resume/restart

Registered+
    Thanks

Issue with suspend/resume/restart

Hey Guys,

I've just put together a new relatively budget PC and am having some issues I've not come across before.

The machine powers on just fine, but if put to sleep it will not resume, the systems powers on but the graphics card doesn't ever come back on.

Secondly, if I restart the PC, it shuts down, physically switches off, then after a second or two it powers back on again as if it's doing a hard reset, which is rather odd.

I suspected the issue to be with the new Haswell C states and the low load on the power supply, but the power supply is supposedly Haswell ready and I have recently used a power supply from the same range in another build and that went fine.

I currently suspect that the motherboard is being a bit of a pig, it doesn't have many options, and I really believe it's behind my issues but wanted to see if someone had an 'Ah ha' moment when reading my post should something similar have happened to them in the past.

Intel Core i5 4440
    Gigabyte H87M-HD3 (BIOS Firmware F6)
    Be Quiet L8 530w Hybrid Modular PSU
    EVGA GTX 550Ti Graphics Card
    Seagate 2TB 7200rpm Hard Drive

There is an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (Rev 2) keeping the CPU cool, and from the temps I'm reading through an IR laser temp gauge nothing is getting hotter than 30c.

I'm about to look at buying in another motherboard (and some new thermal paste) and just RMA'ing the motherboard but I look to the forum for any tips I can try first.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Issue with suspend/resume/restart

I'm posting to boost this thread up the thread list. Due to some moderating flags, it was invisible for several days, and deserves it's fair chance at the top of the list. If our usual helful members have any thoughts, I'd be grateful, 'cos he's waited a couple of days already due to a moderating cockup.

Thanks

What's the OS?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Registered+
    Thanks

Windows 7 (64bit).

Registered+
    Thanks

I got to the point of removing all the components last night so only the motherboard, processor and RAM is installed using on-board graphics and pressing the reset button on the case actually switches the PC off, it then powers back on by itself two seconds later.

The on-board graphics don't work, despite clearing CMOS settings, but if I plug in the EVGA GTX 550Ti then I do get into BIOS just fine, I've ordered a new motherboard today for delivery tomorrow, got an Asus H87M-Plus - not that there is anything wrong with Gigabyte but I don't know what is going on here, I also ordered some new RAM.

It's just the odd behavior with the system powering off when pressing the reset button which confuses me, I've never seen that happen before, it's not even a faulty switch because I unplugged all the chassis switches and touched the reset pins with a screwdriver last night just to test if it produced the same result and it did, so either the motherboard is fried, at which point I hope the CPU isn't damaged, or the PSU isn't working correctly, and I have also purchased a PSU tester today, I could've used a multimeter I guess.

Thanks

Have you checked the power plan settings?

Check this setting via Control Panel, Power Options, Advanced Options - try turning it to 'Off':

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

When you say 'reset' button do you mean the main power button or an actual reset button? If it has a reset button then pushing it will do exactly what you say - restart the machine. If you mean the main power button then it depends on the machine, but often you have to press and hold the button in order to get it to power down.

Registered+
    Thanks

I mean the reset button, when you press the button to reset the PC, everything switches off, fans spin down, and then it powers back on, it has only started happening in the last day, before that it was fine.

I'm even more worried that on-board graphics aren't working at all, to be honest I've never tried them so chances are they didn't work to begin with, if I pull the RAM out I at least get a no-RAM beep from the motherboard so it does recognize some things.

I guess diagnosing a faulty CPU isn't particularly easy?

The power settings are set to High Performance and all energy saving options are off, including the one for PCI-E.

Thanks

So the problem is that whilst you get visuals with a graphics card you don't without it, if you push reset the machine restarts, and if it goes into sleep mode the machine seems to wake up but no visuals return?

Registered+
    Thanks

Yes, the motherboard has on-board graphics, so removing the PCIe graphics card and clearing CMOS should provide a video output but I just get a black screen with no beeps emitted from the motherboard.

I just want to clarify, on Sunday pushing the reset button on the front of the machine would simply reset the system while the power remained on to the machine, the power light stays lit and the system just resets.

On Monday, after leaving the machine powered off all night, I switched it on to begin working on it again, and now a reset cuts the power to the system, everything physically switches off, the PSU fan switches off, as does the system power light, the heat-sink fan spins down as do the drives, so technically the machine is off, it then sits there for two to three seconds and then switches itself back on.

Registered+
    Thanks

Swapped out the motherboard today after testing the power supply, everything now works perfectly and have RMA'd the motherboard back to Gigabyte.

Thanks

Nice. Glad to hear it's sorted!

Thread Information