Thread: Windows 8.1 Installing Updates when updates turned off

Thanks

Question Windows 8.1 Installing Updates when updates turned off

I have a 2nd PC that I only use for game capture so it has minimal software installed. I've disabled automatic updates of anything and I've even disabled Avast.

When I turned the PC on today, before Windows loaded it said it was installing updates. However after that finished I checked Add/Remove Programs and I can't see anything that was installed that day. I also checked Windows Update again and automatic updates was still disabled.

So how can I find out what updates were installed?

Also annoying is that after the updates, my screen is now locked when not in use. It's not asking for a password, I can just click on the Locked icon and it takes me to the desktop. How can I disable locking?

I'm not sure if I actually had Windows 8 or 8.1. I checked after the updates in Computer Properties and it said I have 8.1

Splash

Re: Windows 8.1 Installing Updates when updates turned off

If you've disabled automatic updates and something has automatically updated then something ain't right... If you look in the event log you should be able to tell what updates were installed though.

As for the screen lock: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id...e-edition.html

Thanks

Thanks. Where's the event log?

Splash

Start>eventvwr

Look in Windows Logs>Setup and you're looking for the KB references which you can cross reference to see which updates.

Thanks

Was it something like "Windows is installing updates" on shutdown?

If so, that doesn't mean it was WU. It's a generic term for anything that updates a system file during shutdown. A background program could have ran an update and cause the notification.

Failing that, it could maybe be the WUClient. These are fairly stubborn about being installed (for very good reason).

Is it connected to the net? If so, you really should be patching it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Yes but I think I saw the message on startup.

Looked in the log you said and only thing I can see is "Package Language Pack was successfully changed to the Absent state". I also looked in the Application & System, etc but couldn't see anything relevant and I can't see anything in "Add/Remove Programes View Installed Updates" either.

What do you mean about the WUClient?

Was wondering as well, on my other computer I saw a message about a Defragger running on several different drives. I don't have defragging software installed so what's doing the defragging as I never told Windows to do that.

What do you mean by patching. In my experience Windows Updates are the number 1 cause for PC problems, they cause more problems than they solve.
    Last edited by holygamer; 20-09-2014 at 02:06 AM.

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
    Yes but I think I saw the message on startup.

Looked in the log you said and only thing I can see is "Package Language Pack was successfully changed to the Absent state". I also looked in the Application & System, etc but couldn't see anything relevant and I can't see anything in "Add/Remove Programes View Installed Updates" either.
    Looks like you've removed a language pack there.

What do you mean about the WUClient?
    That'll be the Windows Update client.

Was wondering as well, on my other computer I saw a message about a Defragger running on several different drives. I don't have defragging software installed so what's doing the defragging as I never told Windows to do that.
    Windows (since Vista, I believe) automatically performs maintenance like defragmenting your disks. You can disable this behaviour, but I don't see why you would.

What do you mean by patching. In my experience Windows Updates are the number 1 cause for PC problems, they cause more problems than they solve.
    With all due respect: you're wrong on this front. If a machine is connected to the internet then at the very least you need to be installing the security patches. If you don't you're essentially asking for that machine to be compromised. If it's not connected to the internet or any network then... fair enough, but if you're on the internet you need to be patching.

Thread Information