Thread: How best to benchmark your PC

Thanks

How best to benchmark your PC

Hello wise and handsome Hexus people!

I'm about to build a gaming PC from components for the first time and I'm looking for some advice on the best way to benchmark.

Is there a set way to go about it?

I would be interested in getting performance figures from my existing machine, then from the new machine at stock, then again from the new machine after OC.

The only component that will be shared between the two machines is the 128GB SSD I use as a OS drive. I'm keeping the same Windows install so don't want to format the drive.

Any advice on what best to do would be greatly appreciated, I don't know what software to use or how best to go about running benchmarks so everything is consistent between runs, or... anything, really.

Any help gratefully received!

Spuzzell

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: How best to benchmark your PC

Futuremark I find to be decent. They have PCMark for overall system benchmarks and 3DMark for gaming. When you upload the results you can compare them on the web and look at individual tests to see how each system compared.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

OK, thanks.

Is there anything I can do to ensure that whatever processes are running in the background is identical for each test?

Thanks

TBH it depends exactly what aspects of performance you wish to compare, as benchmarking isn't as straightforward as getting a number for two systems; e.g. it's possible (and common) for one system to be faster in one area, but slower in another.

Something like Futuremark is a more well-rounded benchmark, taking into account more than the speed of a single piece of code, and IIRC seems to track reasonably well with game performance. However if you want to get a more 'real world' comparison of performance for applications and games you run, then perhaps compare those applications and games too.

For background processes etc, you should generally be OK just closing anything which can be safely closed e.g. backup, instant messaging programs and perhaps antivirus as long as you're careful obviously.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Sometimes, (and I'm not saying that this is the case here) scores generated by benchmarks have more to do with claiming bragging rights and getting that overall feeling of smugness when a system you've built does well against systems built by other people than they do in terms of giving you any really useful information.

Of course that's not the only reason to run benchmarks, if you know what the expected results are for a component then benchmarking that part will help you identify bottlenecks if it is not performing correctly or to see performance gains if it is performing above the curve. I use benchmarking a lot because in my case, when I have spent a lot of money replacing an expensive component, I want to be able to have figures that justify that expense, the bigger the performance gain the better I feel (see smugness above).

Synthetics like 3dMark are useful but they are synthetic tests and don't really have a big bearing in real situations, so if you have games with built in benchmarks that you frequently play it is worth testing with those games too, or simply run the fraps benchmark tool or a similar program to gauge the actual games performance and try and play the same level on each PC when you do, do a few tests on each rig and work out the average that way it will smooth out differences in recorded figures if you are getting scores from actual play rather than repeatable scripted play.

For startup times you can look into your system logs to get an accurate figure on how long it takes for your PC to boot and can be directly compared to other PCs using the same logs.

Here is a list of games with benchmark tools (taken from this link):

Alan Wake
    Aliens vs. Predator
    Arma 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Batman: Arkham City
    BioShock Infinite
    Company of Heroes
    Crysis
    DiRT 3
    DiRT Showdown
    Doom 3
    Far Cry 2
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    GRID 2
    Hard Reset
    Hitman: Absolution
    Just Cause 2
    Lost Planet 2
    Mafia II
    Metro 2033
    Metro: Last Light
    Mirror's Edge
    Natural Selection 2
    Quake III Arena
    Quake IV
    Remember Me
    Resident Evil 5
    Resident Evil 6
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Sleeping Dogs
    Sniper Elite V2
    Street Fighter IV
    Thief
    Tomb Raider (2013 version)
    Total War: Shogun 2
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2
    World in Conflict

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    TBH it depends exactly what aspects of performance you wish to compare, as benchmarking isn't as straightforward as getting a number for two systems; e.g. it's possible (and common) for one system to be faster in one area, but slower in another.

Something like Futuremark is a more well-rounded benchmark, taking into account more than the speed of a single piece of code, and IIRC seems to track reasonably well with game performance. However if you want to get a more 'real world' comparison of performance for applications and games you run, then perhaps compare those applications and games too.

For background processes etc, you should generally be OK just closing anything which can be safely closed e.g. backup, instant messaging programs and perhaps antivirus as long as you're careful obviously.
    I think really what I'm looking for is a unified test that measures everything through a series of hardware changes.

I'd like it to track startup time, time to open a browser, time in and out of hibernation, track and graph memory and processor usage throughout AND then test gaming performance.

I want data, dammit :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    Sometimes, (and I'm not saying that this is the case here) scores generated by benchmarks have more to do with claiming bragging rights and getting that overall feeling of smugness when a system you've built does well against systems built by other people than they do in terms of giving you any really useful information.

Of course that's not the only reason to run benchmarks, if you know what the expected results are for a component then benchmarking that part will help you identify bottlenecks if it is not performing correctly or to see performance gains if it is performing above the curve. I use benchmarking a lot because in my case, when I have spent a lot of money replacing an expensive component, I want to be able to have figures that justify that expense, the bigger the performance gain the better I feel (see smugness above).

Synthetics like 3dMark are useful but they are synthetic tests and don't really have a big bearing in real situations, so if you have games with built in benchmarks that you frequently play it is worth testing with those games too, or simply run the fraps benchmark tool or a similar program to gauge the actual games performance and try and play the same level on each PC when you do, do a few tests on each rig and work out the average that way it will smooth out differences in recorded figures if you are getting scores from actual play rather than repeatable scripted play.

For startup times you can look into your system logs to get an accurate figure on how long it takes for your PC to boot and can be directly compared to other PCs using the same logs.

Here is a list of games with benchmark tools (taken from this link):

Alan Wake
    Aliens vs. Predator
    Arma 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Batman: Arkham City
    BioShock Infinite
    Company of Heroes
    Crysis
    DiRT 3
    DiRT Showdown
    Doom 3
    Far Cry 2
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    GRID 2
    Hard Reset
    Hitman: Absolution
    Just Cause 2
    Lost Planet 2
    Mafia II
    Metro 2033
    Metro: Last Light
    Mirror's Edge
    Natural Selection 2
    Quake III Arena
    Quake IV
    Remember Me
    Resident Evil 5
    Resident Evil 6
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Sleeping Dogs
    Sniper Elite V2
    Street Fighter IV
    Thief
    Tomb Raider (2013 version)
    Total War: Shogun 2
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2
    World in Conflict
    Holy crap, that's awesome, thanks.

This is 100% about justifying my expenditure though the medium of a meaningless series of lines going up. A little bit.

I've made my peace with that.

I'm really not bothered about comparing to other peoples systems, it's all for internal use only!

I'm also switching from Radeon to Geforce and doing a hard drive transplant from one motherboard chipset to another and I'm just really craving all possible data to see what changes and how :-)

Thanks for the tips, I'll probably go though the logs if thats the only datum points available and then graph them myself.

Oh God, I'm a geek.

I didn't know.

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Spuzzell View Post
    I'd like it to track startup time, time to open a browser, time in and out of hibernation, track and graph memory and processor usage throughout AND then test gaming performance.
    It's in your logs.

Startup times
    Wake Source log

I've never looked at individual application startup times, but I'm sure it's in the event viewer logs somewhere.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Sisoft Sandra plus one of these:

And the job's a goodun.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Sisoft Sandra plus one of these:

And the job's a goodun.
    Yeah, but.

How do I print that out to then fold in my wallet to then pull out and show people in the pub?

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Yeah, but.

How do I print that out to then fold in my wallet to then pull out and show people in the pub?
    My advice is not to show people in the pub, unless you want to stop them from talking to you that is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    My advice is not to show people in the pub, unless you want to stop them from talking to you that is.
    You think it's possible that other people might not care? Even if all the lines go up?

Maybe if they went up MORE.

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

You think it's possible that other people might not care? Even if all the lines go up?

Maybe if they went up MORE.
    I think it's possible that the people you drink with might not be as passionate about your results as you are, sharing them on here will usually generate more interest, unless you happen to drink with a bit of an IT crowd, but your mileage may vary.

I remember explaining how a graphics card upgrade made my 3dMark scores rocket to a non-geek friend who asked meif that made it possible to type faster into Word.

Usually you can tell when a person has gone from actively engaged in a conversation to feigning interest while they scout the room for an unattached person to rescue them from the conversation, at least that is until alcohol has been introduced into the conversation. I guess what I'm trying to say is just don't let it get to you if the people you drink with are more interested in football scores then they in benchmark scores.

Also with me, if I am out with friends and my mind is on my PC it usually tells me that I am in the wrong place, just as if I am playing a game and my mind is on my friends then I would most likely shut down the PC and go out.

Thread Information