Thread: Display settings?

Thanks

Display settings?

Hi all,

my laptop broke last year, the screen smashed, so i have removed the screen and now have it connected to my tv with a wireless keyboard and mouse mounted on a cooler, it works well and i'll leave it as it is until i replace it as it is a decent spec.

I have a question regarding my settings, at the minute it is playing through the TV and using the Intel graphics card, I want to use the Nvidia card as it performs better and still use the tv but i can't seem to get it to switch over.

I have a choice of two ports to connect the laptop to, VGA or HDMI, I connect via VGA as all my HDMI ports are used up and the picture isn't really affected that much.

This is my NVIDIA control panel, as you can see the analogue display is what i believe my tv is, the laptop display is disconnected. On the NVIDIA side, there is one port, but i have no other ports on my laptop to connect an external display to.

This is my display settings, when I set it to this setting, I click on 'Advance settings' and i get the Intel card come up confirming it is running off that card.

Now if i enable the other device, it says it is the device connected via VGA (Which is how my tv is connected) and do the same I get the NVIDIA screen appear:

So...how can i ditch the intel card and force it to run on the NVIDIA so i can get a higher frame rate?

Sorry if this is a silly question and there is an easy answer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo
    ...and it's *slow* - really slow, slower than a really slow thing swimming through treacle, one handed, and only kicking with one foot.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Re: Display settings?

Your laptop most likely uses nVidia's Optimus feature, this is designed to manage the battery life on your laptop by switching between the Intel CPU's integrated graphics processor and the nVidia dedicated GPU according to what's required at the time. If all you are doing is browsing the web, watching videos or working on spreadsheets then there is no reason to use the dedicated GPU but when you are gaming it should automatically switch if the game you are playing has high enough graphical demands to need the extra grunt offered by the dedicated GPU.

Try running a second monitor from the laptop if you can and put a program like Afterburner on their to monitor the GPU then run a game on your main monitor and see if the actual GPU being used switches over.

To manually set the nVidia GPU try this:

Open the NVIDIA Control Panel

* Select Manage 3D Settings
    * Under the Global Settings tab, select High-performance NVIDIA processor
    * Click Apply

3. Received thanks from:

Predator (03-11-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    Your laptop most likely uses nVidia's Optimus feature, this is designed to manage the battery life on your laptop by switching between the Intel CPU's integrated graphics processor and the nVidia dedicated GPU according to what's required at the time. If all you are doing is browsing the web, watching videos or working on spreadsheets then there is no reason to use the dedicated GPU but when you are gaming it should automatically switch if the game you are playing has high enough graphical demands to need the extra grunt offered by the dedicated GPU.

Try running a second monitor from the laptop if you can and put a program like Afterburner on their to monitor the GPU then run a game on your main monitor and see if the actual GPU being used switches over.

To manually set the nVidia GPU try this:
    Spot on, downloaded msi afterburner, set it to the nvidia gpu and ran d3, can see the graphics cards working away and geting warm!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo
    ...and it's *slow* - really slow, slower than a really slow thing swimming through treacle, one handed, and only kicking with one foot.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Excellent. Glad I could help.

Thanks

Display settings

Nope. Sorry. The input lag from the good looking picture quality is because of the video processing that your LED is doing. The "Game" setting turns all that off, so SD image, but not much lag. On the bright side though, the Quattron has one of the best Game settings, 15ms, which is 1 frame of input lag, when on average we're looking at 25 to 30 ms.

Thread Information