Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!1#

Registered+
    Thanks

Help!!!1#

Ok, so I'm new to this Hexus malarky, having seen someone I know using it (NightShadow) I decided to give it a try. Basically, I bought a Abit motherboard, GeForce FX5200 and Corsair Value Select RAM from Scan a while ago and I am having problems. I started from scratch, clean Windows install etc. and everything was fine, but having installed updated DirectX and Service Packs, the problems began. After opening my 'My Videos' folder, containing my collection of DV-AVI (PAL) videos, I noticed that the thumbnails were showing interlacing lines. Importing the video into Adobe Premiere and dragging the timeline slider across, the video flickered, as if moving one frame forward, then backwards, then forward again. Importing video into Windows Movie Maker, and exporting it, resulted in video that was undistinguishable. Thinking that perhaps my graphics card was at fault, I purchased a Sapphire Radeon 9550 from Scan yesterday and again started from scratch, this time installing Windows XP SP2 - same problem. I have also replaced the monitor that I was using at the time the problems began. I have tried everything - driver combinations, updates etc. the only solution being using the GeForce FX5200 and old drivers from the nVidia driver archive and using un-updated Windows XP, as the introduction of DirectX and Service Packs reintroduces the problem. Tweaking the settings in nView or, more recently, the ATI Catalyst Control centre, makes no difference. As I said, I am new to Hexus, so if this thread's in the wrong place or whatever, if someone could move it, that'd be great. Any help would be appreciated. It's driving me mad.

Thanks
    • Destroyer^'s system
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.6ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2 X 1gb geil low latence 800 mhz and 2x2Gb Black Dragon
      • Storage:
      • 250 gb WD 7,200 rpm, 60gb raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG GTX 260 maxcore 216 core
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 530W
      • Case:
      • Antec p182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Neovo and 24" LG HD
      • Internet:
      • 50 mb Virgin
    have alook on microsoft forum/microsoft updates to see if its a registered problem becuase of service pack 2? just an idea =)

Thanks
    You can check to see if DirectX is properly installed by going to Start>Run and typing in dxdiag which will load the DirectX diagnostic tool.

Under the 'DirectX Files' tab there are 2 windows, one lists all the files and the second, 'Notes'

In the notes window it should, hopefully, say, 'No problems found'

Under the 'Display' tab you will see details for 'Device', 'Drivers', 'DirectX Features' and 'Notes'

In the DirectX Features there are 5 buttons to enable and test DirectX functionality, if any of them are 'greyed' out DirectX is not properly installed, which usually means your graphics drivers are not properly installed.

To ensure your graphics drivers are installed correctly, uninstall your current drivers and any installed 3rd party codec packs using Add/Remove Programs. You could also remove any video viewing/editing programs if it's not a major hassle to reinstall them later, just to be on the safe side.

Reboot the system into Safemode (F8) and run DriverCleaner, available here :

http://www.drivercleaner.net/dc.htm

Install the latest Drivers for your graphics card and reboot

If you had any 3rd party codecs installed previously, DON'T reinstall them, video programs already contain all the necessary codecs needed to run them and installing 3rd party codecs cause conflicts

Thanks
    Hi,

This sounds like a software related problem, and i would ask the following questions seeing as it is movie-file-related:

What codecs do you have installed? (try k-lite codec pack from edskes, or nimo codec pack - both work great)
    Is the system OK otherwise?
    Do you have anti-spyware/antivirus installed and is your system ok from this point of view?
    Is there a 'hardware WMV/AVI/ etc acclerate' tab in the nvidia settings? if so, try with this off, see what effect it has (my radeon 9800pro gives weird colours in wmv if i have the harware accelerated wmv on - could be related to this!)

hope you manage to sort it all out!

(btw, i think running drivercleaner would benefit you loads too!)

hope ive helped in some way!

Registered+
    Thanks
    I've tried all of those things, nothing. It's been doing it across 2 graphics card and about 5 clean installs. The only time it's worked has been when I installed Windows XP minus service packs and didn't update it, any Automatic Updates caused the problem again. Running Windows without updating isn't really a solution though, is it?

Thanks
    • JimNastics's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb
      • Storage:
      • About 750gb me thinks...
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA ACS3 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • IDNet 8mb
    Does it only happen with DV AVI files? If so, maybe try a different codec? The Panasonic one is one of the most popular, I use it with Adobe Premiere with no problems Give it a go:

http://users.tpg.com.au/mtam/install_panvfwdv.htm

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yes it does only happen with DV-AVI and I'm afraid the Panasonic codecs haven't made any difference. I'm at the end of my patience.

Thanks
    I think you should be a little more patient - goto the control panel/sounds/advanced/video codecs - see whats going on there and you might have more than one DV AVI codec installed- you only really need one. alternatively see which codec is being used in the first place by clicking file/properties as its playing in mediaplayer, and remove that one and reinstall a different one.

sorry if ive not been able to help, just telling from experience.

Registered+
    Thanks
    It's every time I do a fresh install too, without installing anything... It's not that...

Thanks
    Can you view the avi files with a straightforward media player like VLC?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If it can play the files with no problem it will probably rule out driver issues

Registered+
    Thanks
    In Windows Media Player, the first frame shows heavy interlacing and jiggles, and after playing it takes a good few seconds, 10 or so, to be 'stopped' and return to the first frame. Could it be hard drive or RAM-related? Or even motherboard?

Thanks
    It's unlikely to be RAM or HD related but that also depends on how much memory your running and the size/free space available on your hard drive.

Adobe recommend 256Mb RAM as a minimum and 1Gb+ recommended

Also found this link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329132.html

Seems Adobe Premiere is a bit of a pig to install correctly

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alistairheeley
    In Windows Media Player, the first frame shows heavy interlacing and jiggles, and after playing it takes a good few seconds, 10 or so, to be 'stopped' and return to the first frame. Could it be hard drive or RAM-related? Or even motherboard?
    No, it's not hardware mate. DVD's play fine. Games play fine. Other video files are fine. It's only the DV-AVI files that wont play back properly after a freash install. Dont waste any more time and money buying new hardware. As i have said in the same thread in the Scan forum, it's a codec/software problem. I know you think you have tried everything, but there is still other things you need to try. I have googled for info on DV-AVI and there are many many people that have problems with this and its always a codec issue.

Can you play back the file with VLC? http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

How big are the files?

Registered+
    Thanks
    I'm gonna download VideoLan now, the files are between 8mb and about 30mb. I don't understand though why they won't play after a fresh install because they were encoded in Microsoft DV-AVI, which is present in Windows XP. I've got a friend currently sending me a clip that he's captured in DV-AVI on his computer from his camcorder, going to see how my system reacts to it.

Thanks
    Have you had any error messages for "Couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc XXXX"? The name XXXX tells you what codec is missing. Every codec has a 4-digit code. You might find some help here - http://www.fourcc.org/codecs.php (worth a look even if you did not get an error with the FourCC reference).

Registered+
    Thanks

Unhappy

Heavy interlacing lines on my friend's clip in both Windows Media Player and VLC... I don't get it... I haven't had any errors, I wish I had, at least then I'd know what was wrong with it
    Last edited by alistairheeley; 11-12-2005 at 11:56 PM.

Thread Information